Anybody afraid of their curls?

reCoiledreCoiled Registered Users Posts: 21
Maybe its because I'be been processed so long, or just anxious about my chop (11 days left!), but there is a little voice that wonders, "what if MY curls are, well, the 'wrong' curls?". I'd love to pretend that I have all the confidence in the world, but at 33, I still haven't completely convinced my 13 year old self that I am okay as is. Am I the only one?
3c/4a (too short to tell), Normal porosity, M/C
BC: 06/10/11 CG: 06/22/11
:occasion7:
SheaM Poo, AOHR, KCKT, KCCC, homemade DTs

Comments

• geckogecko Registered Users Posts: 313
    You are not alone! Hope you give your 13yr old self a big hug for support.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    tionna wrote: »
    Maybe its because I'be been processed so long, or just anxious about my chop (11 days left!), but there is a little voice that wonders, "what if MY curls are, well, the 'wrong' curls?". I'd love to pretend that I have all the confidence in the world, but at 33, I still haven't completely convinced my 13 year old self that I am okay as is. Am I the only one?

Are you the only one? Are you kidding? You are one among many! This website is full of full-grown women who are still dealing with the insecure 13 year old. Trust yourself! This is the hair you were meant to have. You will rise to the challenge of how to keep it healthy, how to wear it to suit your personality, your lifestyle, your whims. As you learn to like, even love the hair you have, whatever it evolves into, you will be growing and maturing as a person - your hair is a catalyst for that process. If it throws you curve balls, you'll learn to hit curve balls. Or at least when to swing and when not to. ;)

Of course you are okay as is. That never means we cannot try to improve ourselves or change things as we see fit. It means you aren't wasting energy fighting with yourself. Frees up a lot of energy to use for positive activities.

This process is going to teach you acceptance and that will give you confidence. Promise! Don't give up. Those are the right curls.
  • reCoiledreCoiled Registered Users Posts: 21
    Thanks for the encouragement. I agree that this will be bumpy at times, but so much better for me. Part of what started this for me has been starting to seriously talk family with my husband. I want to be a strong, self assured woman so that I can be the same as a mother someday soon, and raise children to be confident in themselves.
    Communicating with your husband, trying to grow into the woman you are without fear and have confidence and self-assurance so that you can model that for your future kids - I totally respect that.
    All the best!
  • reCoiledreCoiled Registered Users Posts: 21
    Thanks. Just realized from your name that you are in IA. Me too, Des Moines metro...you?
    I am but a stone's throw away from Des Moines!
    Wow, how cool is that? There are at least a couple other Iowans around here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file