CurlTalk

Any Lawyers here? I have a question!

WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
I have a question about community property law in Wa state. Please PM me if you can help! Thanks.

Comments

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    Not a lawyer, but...

It's really common these days for people to handle their own divorces without a lawyer, so states have had to make this kind of information easily available. You may be able to find the answer to your question on a site run by your state government. And if there's a courthouse nearby they may have a pamphlet or form that answers your question.

Here's the pamphlet for WA
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    Not a lawyer, but...

It's really common these days for people to handle their own divorces without a lawyer, so states have had to make this kind of information easily available. You may be able to find the answer to your question on a site run by your state government. And if there's a courthouse nearby they may have a pamphlet or form that answers your question.

Here's the pamphlet for WA

I'm not getting divorced....thinking maybe of getting married!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Congrats!
    What you had before stays separate. What you create together afterwards is CP......g/l!
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    Congrats!
    What you had before stays separate. What you create together afterwards is CP......g/l!
    Yeah but the hard part is determining what has stayed separate and what you created together!

And congratulations!
  • WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Congrats!

No congrat's yet...I still want to wait untill the 16 year old is off to college. Plus I'm only thinking about it! LOL
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My understanding is that if you own a home and have any assets, you should get a prenup to be on the safe side. Basically, you inventory what you have now and determine what happens with increases in retirement accounts, assets, liabilities, etc. Otherwise, you will split all that down the middle. If you marry someone who runs up his credit cards and stops contributing to his 401(k), you will lose if you're the responsible one.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist