Did I already mess this up?

Hi ladies!

I am super new to this site and CG but have looked over the stickies and whatnot.

I just started doing CG method, and thought I was doing well. Started out with Suave clarifying shampoo, then used Burts Bees Super Shiny Grapefruit and Sugar Beet conditioner for a RO. Followed that with a little coconut oil, then some Pureology leave in conditioner stuff, then Herbal Essences Totally Twisted gel.

That was 2 days ago, now today I did a cowash with Suave Naturals Green Apple conditioner, then did everything after that the same. Now today I was looking at the Pureology leave in stuff and noticed that it actually has amodimethicone in it.

Now I'm wondering, do I need to use a sulfate shampoo again and start over? Or can I use the Burts Bees Super Shiny shampoo I got to have on hand (since I was skeptical about having a greasy head only cowashing haha!) Or can I continue cowashing and doing the CG routine and just stop using that leave in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by this newbie!! I really want this to work, I'm tired of hating my curls!

Oh, also I used to shower/wash my hair every other day but my curls look pretty bad the next day. Should I cowash every day? Or just use a RO everyday, or just get my hair wet and use my gel? Not sure how to go about this...

Comments

• tstawitztstawitz Posts: 13Registered Users
    Before you shampoo, you could try a Baking soda cleans with an Apple cider vinegar rinse. When ever it feels like I am getting build up or greasy hair I do that. I add baking soda into my RO conditioner, run it through my hair leave it on for a few seconds and then rinse out, since I have super low porosity hair I put some more conditioner on at this point and wait a few mins. At end of my shower I rinse out the conditioner and do a final rinse with ACV. It helps seal in the moisture, this makes my hair feel super smooth and clean. So I would try that before going back to shampooing.
    I co-wash once every 7 to 10 days, but everyday after I let the water run over my hair I massage my scalp to take away any sweat or stuff that could build up and make it gross.
    Everyones hair is different. I would try out what works for you. Some people co-wash every day. I have fine, low porosity hair and my hair can't take that,
    but you should try it and see what happens.
    I am still trying to perfect my routine:neutral:.
    HTH
  • PatricksHoneyPatricksHoney Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thank you for the advice! I was wondering how the baking soda/ACV rinse worked, so it was nice to have it explained how to do it.

I didn't know what to do this morning so I did do what I believe you would call a "low poo" with the Burt's Bees shampoo I had, since I found the section here that explains which shampoos take out which silicones and the BB had coco-betaine which it said should take out the amodimethicone. However, if my hair starts to feel greasy/like it has a lot of build up I am definitely going to try the baking soda/ACV.

As of right now I am skeptical if I am going to be able to do the no shampoo... My roots seem like they get greasy super quick and the length feels kind of icky. But maybe I just need to give my scalp time to adjust and quit overcompensating, and maybe I'm just so used to my ends feeling dry that moisturized feels weird to me... I really hope this ends up working for me!
  • tstawitztstawitz Posts: 13Registered Users
    I know what you mean, it is hard at first. I found the best way to do it is go cold turkey. I haven't washed my hair in over a month and it has been dry for most of that time. It wasn't until i figured out what porosity and hair texture I am that I learned how to deal.
    Some people low-poo once a week and it works for them, personally I don't want the temptation, but if you think that is what would help you or make you feel more comfortable than go for it. Just see how your hair likes it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file