New wavy interested in CG

lazy_wavylazy_wavy Registered Users Posts: 36
Hey everyone - I'm a new wavy. All my life, I thought I had straight hair that "dried funny." It wouldn't hold curl whenever I tried to curl it, and when I tried to scrunch it a few times, the results were not pretty.

Then I switched to mostly natural hair products in January, cutting out sulfates and most 'cones - and about a month ago, discovered that I DO have some natural wave/curl/texture. I think I'm a 2c, because I have coarse and thick hair that is "resistant to styling," but my wave pattern is more like large, loose spirals than an S shape, so idk. The bottom layer of my hair dries pretty straight, though.

I'm interested in trying to wear it wavy/curly, because blow-drying and flat-ironing can be so damaging, and I like to wear my hair long (it's APL now with lots of layers - just got a haircut to try and help the waviness come out). I've been trying to use a sulfate-free shampoo and super rich conditioner before scrunching it with gel or mousse, but I still have a lot of canopy frizz and very little clumping or definition.

SO, I'm going to give CG a try this summer. (I start student teaching this fall, and would like to look like I know what I am doing with my hair by then, so I'm not a weird greasy or frizzy-haired student teacher.) It's important to me to use safe beauty products (see cosmeticsdatabase.com and goodguide.com), although I cave sometimes at the store and buy stuff that's not 100% nontoxic. I am hoping to find a natural (or at least non-toxic), cheap co-wash that I can use in addition to my sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner.

I'm glad to have found this community. I've learned a lot from lurking already (like that my hair doesn't need much protein at all!), so I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself!
2c using mod-CG
Thick & coarse, weak wave pattern, protein-sensitive
Shampoo: Avalon Organics Olive
Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner; AOHR
LI: CJ Beauticurls; Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner
Wavy styling: KCCC or GF Pure Clean Gel
Straight styling: Kiehl's Silk Groom

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome! We're so glad to have you join our community!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file