Help with pre-pooing

kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
So I don't know what the hell is the matter with my hair lately but I have gone through countless co-wash conditioners and low poos and NOTHING is cleaning my hair. They are all leaving me greasy with flaking.

I have tried:

Jessicurl CC and GS
CJ DF (worked for ages and has now stopped!) and CJ GS
MHC HoneyNutt shampoo
Curls Cleansing Cream

So Im desperate enough to go back to shampooing and thought I should try pre-pooing.

Can anyone suggest to me some good oils for this, AND some good shampoos that aren't overly harsh but will clean my hair?

Comments

• techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    Coconut oil has been getting rave reviews for a prepoo lately. It works well for me.

For shampoo, I like Avalon Organics Moisturizing. It does have protein, so if your hair doesn't like that, be warned.

May I recommend Tresseme Naturals as a co-wash? I see you use some of the higher end stuff, but I have found that these cleanse really well without building up on my scalp. And I easily get build up. They have one of the "cleansing" ingredients for cowashes (I just can't remember the name right now). The moisturizing one is heavier than the one for body.
    HTH
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I really like the Mop C Hydrating shampoo. It absolutely cleans w/o leaving my hair squeaky or dry! I'm on the fence about V05 Vanilla Mint as a cowash; used it twice and I feel like it might be leaving a film.

I'll be testing out the Abba Pure Gentle shampoo later this week.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• RusycurlyRusycurly Registered Users Posts: 717
    Have you tried Kinky Curly Come Clean? It's a shampoo with natural ingredients (And not sulfates) which I think does a really good job at cleaning my hair when it feels like it has too much product.
    Hair: 3a, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves: Vatika and Bhringraj oils, adores henna.
    My HGs: Bobeam's shampoo bars, CJAO, CJRM, Original Moxie's Hair Bling, Terressentials,
    :wav:
    Let's hear it for beautiful curls!!!
  • kat180kat180 Registered Users Posts: 6,280 Curl Novice
    Thanks guys - I got hold of some coconut oil.

How on earth does anyone put stuff in their hair dry? Im assuming you pre-poo on dry hair? Putting anything - oil included into my hair when not in the shower (even a spray bottle won't work) causes tangles, breakage and matted mess :(
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    EVOO is also good for a pre-poo. It's pretty heavy, though, so you only need a few drops -- a little goes a fairly long way. I just kinda smooth/scrunch it over my hair, and it usually doesn't get that tangled. I haven't tried coconut oil, though, so I don't know if it lives up to all the hype it's been getting! ;)

Also, are you sure you're not allergic to an ingredient in your shampoos/cleansers? When I'm greasy and flaky, that usually means something in my cleansers or products isn't agreeing with my scalp. The same thing happened to me when I was CO-washing with VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze -- it just wasn't agreeing with my scalp, and I got all greasy, gunky, and there were little white flakes in my hair. When I'm JUST greasy, usually something is over-stripping my hair and I need to use something gentler.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • bluesheepbluesheep Registered Users Posts: 300
    You can remove product buildup by doing a baking soda cleansing followed by an ACV rinse. Mix 1 part baking soda to 3 parts condish and use it like you would a CO wash or shampoo. Rinse it out, then follow with a vinegar rinse - you need it to counteract the alkalinity of the baking soda and close the cuticle. I use about 2 tablespoons of vinegar (white works just as well as AC) to every 2 cups of water. I pour it over my hair, squish it around for a minute or so, then rinse. Works like a charm for me.

Like others, I love coconut oil as a pre-poo. Okay, I love it for everything. I'd name my kid coconut oil (if I had one) :mrgreen:. You don't have to work your fingers through it or anything. I section my hair, scoop some out, emulsify it between my hands (if it isn't warm enough to be liquid), then smooth it over each section. Takes a while to get it well-oiled - my hair soaks it up like a sponge. I usually leave it on over night and wash it out the next morning.

Another pre-poo I like is equal parts of conditioner and coconut milk, plus a big spoonful of coconut oil. I coat my hair with it (no sectioning necessary), put on a plastic cap and let it sit for an hour or so before shampooing.

HTH!
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    You need to clarify. None of the cleansers you listed clarify. Try a low poo with betaine or sulfosuccinate higher on the list. Even a poo bar or Dr. bronners may help.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • bluesheepbluesheep Registered Users Posts: 300
    You need to clarify. None of the cleansers you listed clarify. Try a low poo with betaine or sulfosuccinate higher on the list. Even a poo bar or Dr. bronners may help.

2 questions about the poo bar/Dr. Bronner's rec, Naturalista: I've heard that if you have hard water (like I do) they may leave a coating (or a coated feeling) on your hair. And if she uses a poo bar/DB, she will still need to do either an ACV or citric acid rinse to restore the pH, right? Please edumacate me! :D

3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file