BIG CHOP!!

Hiiii FellowNaturals <3

Im in a internal battle... I have been transitioning for a year now but just last month I went natural completely, no more heat.. Ive been wearing curls daily and it took people a while to get used to it but gradually almost everyone loves and compliments my natural hair.....

I want to big chop. Badly. My growth is not that much so my hair will be really short, but I am totally ready. Problem is, NO ONE else except for one person supports my big chop :angry6:

I am REALLY broken about it, it almost makes me want to relax my hair again and just forget the whole thing :( My friend is a stylist and I went to her to clip my ends and she clipped my curly hair UNEVEN and convinced me I wouldnt like my hair that short...

Im just really sad... I dont know what else to do and since no one is supportive including my husband its making me feel ugly at times....idk..
Heeeelpppppppppppp

Comments

• PRINCETONPRINCETON Registered Users Posts: 872
    Never include family or friends in this decision. Go to an unbiased barber or someone and just do it.

You'll look back and wonder why you didn't do it earlier especially since it does take time to grow back but well worth it if you've been battling the desire.

What do you got to lose except that damaged hair you no longer want?

By this time next year your hair will be growing longer and you'll be telling others how you should have done it sooner.

PRINCETON BROOKE
    Chief Software Engineer & Web Developer
    http://apps.facebook.com/PrincetonBrooke
  • al3x&riaal3x&ria Registered Users Posts: 6
    If in your heart, you feel that you are 100% ready to be fully natural, go for it! But if not having support at this time is causing you this much stress, then don't. I feel it's important to be able to be completely confident and comfortable with your hair, regardless of how others feel. Once the relaxed ends are gone, they're gone. Maybe sleep on it for a few days? Maybe give it another month? This way you have more time to think over it and have some extra growth as an added bonus. Best of luck!
    And everyone in the natural community supports your BC :)

PRINCETON BROOKE
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    If this is something you want to do and are completely ready for, then go for it!!! This is your hair, your look, your life!!! I always figure if someone is that offended by the way I look, then they can just find something else to look at. Good luck and be proud of your decision!
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
    If this is something you want to do and are completely ready for, then go for it!!! This is your hair, your look, your life!!! I always figure if someone is that offended by the way I look, then they can just find something else to look at. Good luck and be proud of your decision!

Can I co-author on this? :)

Why should everyone else walk around feeling comfortable except me???!!

And they rarely ask you for your input on things they go ahead and do. Live life :)

PRINCETON BROOKE
  • NishaNickoleNishaNickole Registered Users Posts: 8
    :) Thats a good idea, after posting this thread I got in contact with my GOOD hairstylist and Im going to make my appointment on Wednesday...

I think Im stressing because I ALWAYS support EVERYONE in what they do and going natural is such a liberating journey for me- I've learned to accept myself in different ways... Im just struggling with people who think long straight hair is the only thing that is beautiful-people who laugh at the other natural girl at my job with her awesome fro...so idk Im preparing myself for all the looks but I definitely am going to tell them to find something else to look at :D

Thanks for the support; this is definitely why I joined this site
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Here is my 2 cents.
    Your hair is your's and you are the one who has to fix it and walk around with it. We will give you opinions and your family & friends will give them to you too. You have the one and only vote on what to do with your hair. Do whatever YOU choose to do.

Your friends and family want you to go back to the hair they are comfortable with. They are unlikely to change their minds while you still have half natural and half relaxed. I doubt an extra month will change their opinions at all. They are still hoping you will "come to your senses" and change your mind.
    Edit: Posted at the same time you did. Good luck with the BC! Don't forget to post pics. We <3 pics.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    PRINCETON wrote: »

And they rarely ask you for your input on things they go ahead and do. Live life :)

PRINCETON BROOKE
    Princeton Brooke on Facebook | Facebook

You most certainly can!! And Nisha, you are so pretty!! You're gonna look beautiful with your new 'do!!

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

• principessa1984principessa1984 Registered Users Posts: 129
    A lot of ppl say that their family members were unsupportive. But, once everyone sees the new cut, people tend to come around- some right away, others later on. But, from what I've heard- at the end of the day (if you keep your hair well-moisturized etc.) most of the former nay-sayers end up being cheerleaders. Why? B/c no one w/ a grain of sense can put down a head full of gorgeous, natural, healthy hair. Go for it!
    My signature style: the "braid n' curl"
    High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.
    Straightened length: Waist (layers)
    Textured length: (variable) full SL to BSL

Condish/Shampoo: VO5
    Pre-poo: mild protein(VO5)+castor oil+tea tree
    Steam treatments: 1-2x weekly
    Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil
  • proctorsweetieproctorsweetie Registered Users Posts: 93
    Anyone can rock anything with the right attitude. It's okay to be confident and do your own thing!!

And hippiechic81 is right. You are absolutely gorgeous.
    I think Bumble&Bumble put it best: WILD CHILD AMAZON WARRIOR BOMBSHELL

2c/3a Botticelli curls
    started CG 27. May 2011
    :wave:
    Curl inspiration: Nicole Kidman's natural curls, the 80's/90's careers of Laetitia Casta & Eva Herzigova, the artwork of Milo Manara
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    I am sorry you don't have the support from your family.

I would tell you not to do it if you were really unsure. You seem very committed to a natural hair lifestyle and therefore I say go for it!

I think the only regret you will have is that you didn't do it sooner!

As you know in our community, hair is very important but why? Why do we have to have a "euro centric" view of hair? Are we being true to ourselves?

For me the last year has been very liberating wearing my hair the way God intended!

Beauty starts from within and if you feel beautiful it will reflect outwards.

I saw a lady in line who had her hair shaved just like a guys hair and she had a red line in it. The way she was dressed and the way she carried herself she was gorgeous!

At least you know you have support from this board!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    PRINCETON wrote: »

PRINCETON BROOKE
    Princeton Brooke on Facebook | Facebook

You most certainly can!! And Nisha, you are so pretty!! You're gonna look beautiful with your new 'do!!
    Thank you hippiechic & proctorsweetie!! :D & everyone else who commented!! I figure I update on my BC I finally did it!!!

I must admit I was VERY shocked to say the least but after it was over and I left the salon I felt so much better! There were mixed reviews about my hair but my mother and son were with me during the BC and even now my mom always says I look good so Im defintely happy and wondering why I didnt do this sooner lol thank you all for your help :)
    download?mid=1_231376_AHGliGIAAV%2F%2BTe57cQ2brhj9Q4Q&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

I dont look very happy n this picture BUT its the clearest shot of my hair :)
    Go you!!! I don't know if your picture came out ok though 'cause I don't see anything.........

Stylers-

• B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Registered Users Posts: 1,050
    Yay! I can't see the pic either, but I know its beautiful. I did my own big chop and didn't have support cuz I didn't tell anybody! Lol. I'm glad u did it and feel good about it. Theres nothing like being comfy n ur own skin and hair

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • Lizzy's CurlsLizzy's Curls Registered Users Posts: 38
    I bet it looks great! I just did my big chop also and couldn't be more happy. I agree with the other comments....its you're hair and u have to take care of it so.....don't worry....be happy! :-)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App
    tn?sid=13510803323765530&mid=AGKliGIAAETOTe7DVwzfXSxvXNE&midoffset=1_84394&partid=3&f=1131&fid=Sent&w=438&h=480&httperr=1
    LOL I finally figured how to upload a picture 8)

So heeeeeeeeeres my Big CHOP!! :D
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    beautiful!
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Nisha, you look so beautiful!!! Congrats!!!:headbang:

Stylers-

• lovely_eirenelovely_eirene Registered Users Posts: 48
    I think it's very chic! And it suits you very well :D<3
    Fine 3c type, loves protein. BS length when straight, aiming for BS length when curly!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    Congratulations! I have to agree. Your hair is awesome.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    I haven't been able to see the pics cause I rarely log in but I do use the mobile app. IDKY it doesnt show But some of the pics half the time...I'm sure you're looking fresh :) and feeling like there's new outlook on life.

PRINCETON BROOKE
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    Simply...beautiful!

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file