Can I use a pillowcase to dry my hair?

Here's the reason why I can't use gels. I live in Canada and there's not that much of hair products (or gels) that are CG-approved. So I'm makig flaxseed gel...but I have to wait for my grocery store to stock the shelves. Argh. So I use a mousse that works really well and it's Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel. When I first started the no-poo method and exactly followed the one from Lorraine's book, it works so well. I left the conditioner In, get out of the shower, scrunched my hair with a cotton T-shirt and then apply mousse. Worked fantastic. I still continue this to this day but I recently discovered that using a cotton T-shirt would not work anymore - it would create more frizz. So I have decided to use a pillowcase - but it's made out of 50% cotton and 50% polyster so is this okay to use? Plus it's smooth so I think it would be okay...or not :S I even tried putting the mousse and then used the t-shirt but this makes no differece to me. I don't have a microfiber towel or a cotton towel.

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Registered Users Posts: 860
    Here's the reason why I can't use gels. I live in Canada and there's not that much of hair products (or gels) that are CG-approved. So I'm makig flaxseed gel...but I have to wait for my grocery store to stock the shelves. Argh. So I use a mousse that works really well and it's Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel. When I first started the no-poo method and exactly followed the one from Lorraine's book, it works so well. I left the conditioner In, get out of the shower, scrunched my hair with a cotton T-shirt and then apply mousse. Worked fantastic. I still continue this to this day but I recently discovered that using a cotton T-shirt would not work anymore - it would create more frizz. So I have decided to use a pillowcase - but it's made out of 50% cotton and 50% polyster so is this okay to use? Plus it's smooth so I think it would be okay...or not :S I even tried putting the mousse and then used the t-shirt but this makes no differece to me. I don't have a microfiber towel or a cotton towel.

try the pillowcase and see how it goes - scrunch gently. No harm done either way :)
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    Try flour sack towels that are found in the kitchen towel sections or microfiber towels. They work great too.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Can't imagine that you can't find flour sack towels in Canada. If not, I'd use a 100% cotton pillow case (or old tee shirt), not one with polyester. You can try anything, but I don't think the 50/50 pillowcase will pull the water out of your hair like 100% cotton will.

I bring flour sack towels to the salon when I go for my haircut/highlight. The shampoo guy can't believe how much more water they absorb then the regular towels they use.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Curl Connoisseur
    I live in Canada's largest city and I can't find flour sack towels either...most people I ask have no idea what I'm talking about.

I would just use and old soft t-shirt.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file