CurlTalk

How many days/weeks after washing does your hair/scalp start to smell sour?

principessa1984principessa1984 Posts: 129Registered Users
I ask b/c I think my hair smells sweaty WAY too soon. At this point, I have to wash my scalp twice a week instead of once with an SLS shampoo (co-washing/diluted shampoo/sulfate-free shampoo are all fails- the first two leave me w/ an itchy scalp, the last strips my hair).

When I was kid (natural), and mom braided my hair- she washed it every 3 weeks and it never got sour. In HS when I started swimming, I had to wash my (natural) hair 2x/week for the obvious reasons. But, I don't swim anymore. I don't consider myself to be super-active. Yet, my hair gets sweaty by day 3 (I have a mild relaxer now).

How long can you go w/o sour hair? Was it diff. when you were relaxed v. natural? Do you do anything to tide yourself over until wash day? B/c I have a lot of hair and washing 2x/wk is a REAL pain in the butt.
My signature style: the "braid n' curl"
High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.
Straightened length: Waist (layers)
Textured length: (variable) full SL to BSL

Condish/Shampoo: VO5
Pre-poo: mild protein(VO5)+castor oil+tea tree
Steam treatments: 1-2x weekly
Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil

Comments

• The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Three days is about right for me. Sometimes sooner, especially if I exercise of course. Have you ever tried dry shampoo?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • ilikeitkinkyilikeitkinky Posts: 30Registered Users
    Wow, my scalp doesn't get stinky until week 3. I think wearing mini twists helps. When I wore crochet braids, I think the style was too compact to let the fresh air in :neutral: With all this scalp exposed, I feel like my scalp stays fresher.
  • principessa1984principessa1984 Posts: 129Registered Users
    @ilikeit- I thought about that...when I was a kid, my mom had my hair in about 20 braids. It smelled like petunias all the time :) I guess it doesn't get the chance to air out like it used to.

@phoenix- NEVER used dry shampoo. Is there a recommended brand?? And it can stay on your scalp for days without causing irritation?
    High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.

Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I specifically remember having stinkier hair when my hair was chemically altered. I don't notice any smell anymore, at least not from my scalp. Sometimes my hair will have environmental smells, like smoking or cooking.

I wash my hair once a week with a shampoo. Maybe twice if my scalp feels itchy. When I don't shampoo, I still rinse my hair daily in the shower.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    I've only used dry shampoo once, years ago when I had bronchitis or something and my mother didn't want me to get my head wet.

I've never heard of it irritating anyone. It's made from talc, clay or some sort of starch. You either brush it out or use a towel to rub it out.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    I wash with shampoo weekly, so no smell. I do workout (outside too) but I'm not a heavy sweater and my scalp is dry so I guess there's nothing there to cause a stink...*shrug*

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Posts: 439Registered Users
    I wash with a Chagrin Valley poo bar every 2-3 weeks. My hair/scalp doesnt really have a stink or a funk it just smells like rosemary oil and whatever other product I rub in my hair (which at this point is Koils By Nature Leave In :D)
    I dont really work out in terms of calisthenics or cardio but instead I stretch/do yoga.
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    It varies on my activity level and how I'm wearing my hair:

Twist outs - I can go about 4 days without my hair smelling.

Wash-n-go - about 2 days.

Wet buns - about 1 day, LOL

Dry (twist out) bun - about 3 days.

I work out 4-5 days a week so that's a huge factor.

I DO shampoo weekly and co-wash once weekly.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users
    The only time my hair smells weird is if I exercise outside, like if I ride my bike. But it goes away with water rinsing and conditioning - I don't need to wash my hair with shampoo.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Max 7. Anything beyond that and my scalp gets flaky.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    I specifically remember having stinkier hair when my hair was chemically altered. I don't notice any smell anymore, at least not from my scalp. Sometimes my hair will have environmental smells, like smoking or cooking.

I wash my hair once a week with a shampoo. Maybe twice if my scalp feels itchy. When I don't shampoo, I still rinse my hair daily in the shower.

Yeah, I figured it had to do w/ the perm. I wonder why, though. ugh

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users
    :-| I don't think my scalp/hair have ever smelled "sour".. I use Creme of Nature shampoo (diluted)maybe once a month, but I cowash 3-4 days a week. Never ever had a sour smell coming from my head and I bike to and from work daily.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I can go for about a week without washing my hair before it gets really itchy. It doesn't really smell sour though-and I work out 3-5 times a week. It used to smell sour when I was relaxed though.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • ilikeitkinkyilikeitkinky Posts: 30Registered Users

LadyV69 wrote: »
    I can go for about a week without washing my hair before it gets really itchy. It doesn't really smell sour though-and I work out 3-5 times a week. It used to smell sour when I was relaxed though.

Oh goodness, now I can relate. When I had a relaxer, my hair would become smelly after 2 days.However, I always waited a week before washing because that was the thing to do.

But now, even when I straightened my hair as a natural, it felt like my hair got stinkier faster as well. Maybe it's that the sebum on my scalp had faster access down the hair shaft. I don't know...anyhow, that's over now. I don't plan on straightening my hair this year at all because of that.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    It probably is due to the sebum being able to slide down the hair shaft easier. I know naturally straight haired people always say they "have" to wash their hair daily or else it'll be greasy and gross.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Posts: 1,665Registered Users
    My scalp doesn't usually smell now that I'm natural, I can go 3 weeks with my hair/scalp still smelling like the conditioner/LI that I used.

When I was relaxed though my hair/scalp would smell like after a week or two.

I think it has to do with the hair being straightened as well.
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fpapiermachecurls" class="Popup

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • ttlollattlolla Posts: 948Registered Users
    I am experimenting with stretching shampoo wash to every 2 weeks because I Cowash 2wice a week nowadays ..... When I had a flaking scalp , I washed weekly

I know some naturals like naptural85 only shampoo once a month but she uses nothing but shea butter and flaxseed gel
    People can only get away with not cleaning their scalp when they use minimal amount of products .
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users
    4 days.
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    My scalp needs to be washed at least once every 7 days. For its safety and my sanity. One reason why I hated pressing my hair. After spending all that money I had to "stretch" my style. Ugh.

My hair smelled like mildew when I used to cowash it daily. It was never fully dry and my scalp emits heat. Which are perfect conditions for mildew. Your hair needs moisture, but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

Definitely rinse and/or dry your scalp after exercise!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    Errr, I went to Sephora.com and fell off the chair when I saw the dry shampoo's price. I'll just suck it up and keep washing 2x/wk. I used to wash my hair in braids. If I go back to that, I'll save a lot of time.

• itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Hmmm. My scalp doesn't really get smelly UNLESS I've been intensely sweating and I don't moisturize/plait my hair up afterwards and then I sweat a lot AGAIN the next day. So I don't really get this problem.

Dry shampoo can be reasonably priced if you get it from other places...you don't necessarily have to go to Sephora. However, some of the "cheaper" brands do show their cheapness, so try to read some reviews on em before you buy em. Just my two cents. :toothy4:
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • JahNaturalDezignJahNaturalDezign Posts: 1,160Registered Users
    My hair usually doesn't smell unless I have A LOT of product build up, and I ended up going longer than a week to wash. I too really don't need to use shampoo I can rinse with conditioner and be straight.
  • katherinelovesevryonekatherinelovesevryone Posts: 230Registered Users
    I can't recall my hair ever getting sour smelling. My hair always smells like my products. My hair never got oily, even when I was relaxed, so after wash day it will get drier and drier unless I add oil. I'm starting to think my hair doesn't produce oil at all

Edit: Scalp doesn't produce oil
    3c/4a fotki [update 4/18/09]
    blog
    approaching BSL
    BC 4/26/08! Last relaxer April '07

:wav:
    aussie moist /suave coconut conditioner (cowash/leave-in)
    long aid activator gel
    random condish+honey+olive oil+cocnut milk+whole milk+conditioner (DT)
    finger combing>>>>Tangle Teaser
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Posts: 507Registered Users
    Depends on the product I use and how I use them.

Wet bunning spoilage timeframe:
    Curl Junkie (Curly Girl Method) 2-3 days
    Komaza Care moisturizers 5 days
    Kyah Alexandria, not smelly
    Enso Naturals moisturizers 3 days
    Qhemet Biologics, not smelly
    Oyin Handmade, not smelly

Dry/Straight hair
    10-14 days with the same above products before the smell sets in and I have to wash.
  • JessicazFroJessicazFro Posts: 1,446Registered Users
    Errr, I went to Sephora.com and fell off the chair when I saw the dry shampoo's price. I'll just suck it up and keep washing 2x/wk. I used to wash my hair in braids. If I go back to that, I'll save a lot of time.

Tressemme makes a dry shampoo for curly hair.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
    tex-laxed(pfffttt) :dontknow:
    Thick/coarse/low porosity/low elasticity
    4a/b cottony/spongy

At war with my indestructible, armadillo hair...MY WILL BE DONE!

imager.php?id=2689460&t=o GIFSoup
    :tongue:
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Posts: 139Registered Users
    When I was relaxed as a kid I could go a month or more. As a teen it only took a few days so I know what you mean but I was pretty active and my scalp began to produce more sebum. Usually if you scalp smells "sour" I would think it's the begining of a condition. I may be wrong but just based on personal experience. Now that my scalp is undercontrol it rarely smells sour even if its in need of a major wash. Usually 1 or 2x a week I low poo but for it to smell sour maybe 2 weeks.
    For dry shampoo taaliah waajid has one and so does ors. Both under 8 dollars I think.
    Also tressemme has a new dry shampoo too and I'm sure its pretty cheap
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF