Gentlest way to color my hair?

oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
Ok, so I've been CG for about 2-3 months now... and my hair is loving it! All of my damaged ends are cut off, and my hair is finally healthy, shiny, soft and low/medium porosity like it naturally is, rather than the high porosity frizzy horribleness it was when I was straightening it constantly and coloring it red it every 6 weeks.

But now I'm concerned about what will happen when I color it again.

Generally, this is the color I go for:
autumnanalysis-ashleysimpson-photoagency-c2-dec09.jpg
... but with a little less red, even. Like a dark auburn, or something. Brown with a hint of red in it.

So basically, what I'm asking you coloring gurus -- what would be the safest way to color my hair? I'm really, really nervous about frying it again. :( I have no problems using a box dye, but which box dyes would be the safest and not kill my hair? I was also considering henna, but isn't henna like protein? My hair is medium/coarse-ish, so it tends to be a little awkward with protein and I'm afraid henna would overload it. So I'm not really sure... gah!

Help me, please :)
whurly girly (2C/3A).
thick; medium/coarse; low porosity.
hair that is drier than the sahara desert.

LOW-POO: Renpure Organics
CO: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
RO: Renpure Keratin Conditioner. New HG!
LI: L'Oreal EverSleek Humidity-Defying LI Creme
Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!

Comments

• wendi.wendywendi.wendy Posts: 174Registered Users
    It looks like your hair is pretty close to dark brown, is that right? My natural hair color is really, really dark brown and I like to go for that "brown with a bit of auburn in it" shade, just like you. The color I use (which is gentle on my hair, has no ammonia and covers gray really well, which I desperately need!!) is Naturtint 5C - Light Copper Chestnut.

This is actually lighter than I really want, but it goes on a couple shades darker on my hair so I end up with the "brown with reddish highlights" shade I want. If I want to go more red than brown, I use 7C - Terracotta Blonde. This gives me reddish auburn (nothing even close to blonde, lol). My avatar photo is after I used the Terracotta Blonde on my dark brown hair.

The other thing I like about Naturtint is that the Nutrideep Multiplier is CG with no 'cones. (That's the little conditioner tube that comes with the color.) Sometimes the boxes include a sample of the Naturtint shampoo, and that has no sulfates in it so I actually do use it if it's there in the box.

Have fun! :toothy4:
    ~ Wendi in IL
    3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
    CG since March 2010
    Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
    Low Poo: Desert Essence
    Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening

Leave-In: Cure Care, KCKT
    Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

• SheBrosSheBros Posts: 332Registered Users
    Ok, so I've been CG for about 2-3 months now... and my hair is loving it! All of my damaged ends are cut off, and my hair is finally healthy, shiny, soft and low/medium porosity like it naturally is, rather than the high porosity frizzy horribleness it was when I was straightening it constantly and coloring it red it every 6 weeks.

... but with a little less red, even. Like a dark auburn, or something. Brown with a hint of red in it.

So basically, what I'm asking you coloring gurus --

I really like the semi permanent brands. My favorite is Garnier HerbaShine. I found this semi permanent hair color to be extremely gently on my hair with excellent coverage of my grays (just along hair line). It last a good 6-8 weeks on my hair and then gently washes out over time. There is no hair dye line either as your hair grows out. Garnier has discontinued a shade that I was using so I'm researching other brands right now. But, this is my absolute favorite. They have several shades of brown/red to choose from also. I prefer ash tons (no red at all). HTH!
    3B Fine (lots of it), Normal to High Porosity
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Poo, Renpure Organics
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals, Giovanni TT
    Rinse Out: Biologe Cond Balm, SS Deeply Decadent Moisturizing Treatment
    Leave-In: Oyin Hair Dew, CJ Beautiful Curls,
    Stylers: SS Curl Enhancing Jelly, SS Firm Holding Styling Gel, Jessicurl RR and CC, BRHG, Biolage Gelee
    Extras: ACV rinses every couple of months
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    It looks like your hair is pretty close to dark brown, is that right? My natural hair color is really, really dark brown and I like to go for that "brown with a bit of auburn in it" shade, just like you. The color I use (which is gentle on my hair, has no ammonia and covers gray really well, which I desperately need!!) is Naturtint 5C - Light Copper Chestnut.

This is actually lighter than I really want, but it goes on a couple shades darker on my hair so I end up with the "brown with reddish highlights" shade I want. If I want to go more red than brown, I use 7C - Terracotta Blonde. This gives me reddish auburn (nothing even close to blonde, lol). My avatar photo is after I used the Terracotta Blonde on my dark brown hair.

The other thing I like about Naturtint is that the Nutrideep Multiplier is CG with no 'cones. (That's the little conditioner tube that comes with the color.) Sometimes the boxes include a sample of the Naturtint shampoo, and that has no sulfates in it so I actually do use it if it's there in the box.

Have fun! :toothy4:

Thank you! :D I'll look into that brand -- and I never thought of using a lighter color on my hair like that. And no 'cones in it would be fantastic!
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

Styling: SM Curl Milk, Argan Oil for sealing, sometimes GFPC Gel, some honey for hold, TIGI Control Freak Serum!!
  • oh.hi.its.stephoh.hi.its.steph Posts: 640Registered Users
    SheBros wrote: »

So basically, what I'm asking you coloring gurus --

I really like the semi permanent brands. My favorite is Garnier HerbaShine. I found this semi permanent hair color to be extremely gently on my hair with excellent coverage of my grays (just along hair line). It last a good 6-8 weeks on my hair and then gently washes out over time. There is no hair dye line either as your hair grows out. Garnier has discontinued a shade that I was using so I'm researching other brands right now. But, this is my absolute favorite. They have several shades of brown/red to choose from also. I prefer ash tons (no red at all). HTH!

Ah thank you! :) I really like Garnier brands so I'll have to look into that.
    whurly girly (2C/3A).

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you are not lightening--just adding red-- then you could use one of RC's Colors. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file