CG but i have an issue...

bbb123bbb123 Posts: 18Registered Users
i found out about the curly girl method and i completely dropped shampoo:mrgreen:

after a week, i decided to wash it with the shampoo i already had, which has sulfates. my scalp is itchy and flaky so i thought that once a week is ok for washing. i conditioner every day and deep condition twice a week (my hair is very dry and coarse).

my hair is in much better condition since ive starting shampooing less. but my scalp is even worse than before!

im on a low budget so is there anyone who can tell me some CG shampoos that will get rid of my scalp issues? **i would prefer actual products instead of home remedies** :laughing6:

Comments

• bbb123bbb123 Posts: 18Registered Users
    ***i forgot to say that id prefer products that i could buy at sallys or target or something, not online. thanks!
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    What products are you using right now?

It could be a couple of different things, but what comes to my mind is that you are transitioning, so this could explain the itch. A lot of curlies experience this as their scalp gets used to not being stripped of its natural oils by sulfates. This can usually be helped by adding brown sugar to your co-wash.

The flakes could be product build-up or because you are using a sulfate shampoo again. Whenever I use sulfates, even for one wash, it dries out everything. It's not pretty.

I would either stick it out with co-washing or switch to a non-sulfate shampoo. There are lots of reviews around the boards, but I've had good luck with Organix (Pomegranate Green Tea is my fav) and Giovanni shampoos. Both are drugstore/Target.

And if you haven't already, I definitely recommend figuring out your texture/porosity. It helps SO much in choosing products that work well for you and can save you money in the process.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/78318-getting-your-curl-step-step-guide.html
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • Navybrat01Navybrat01 Posts: 6Registered Users
    Tresemme Flawless Curls Or Tresemme Naturals works great, smells good amd wont leave you with the problems your having.
  • Navybrat01Navybrat01 Posts: 6Registered Users
    And you can buy it from the store for like $4 a bottle.
  • MaggabMaggab Posts: 25Registered Users
    Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? If so, you may want to consider the Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Both are free of sulfates and cones, and feel AMAZING on your scalp. And at around $4 for 16 ounces, it's a great deal.

I use this once a week to clarify my hair. But if you have itchy scalp, this is a great combo to use.
    3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
    RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
    LI: MOP Leave-In
    Sealant: JCOB
    Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
    Finishers: DCSIF
    DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    Maggab wrote: »
    Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? If so, you may want to consider the Tea Tree Tingle shampoo and conditioner. Both are free of sulfates and cones, and feel AMAZING on your scalp. And at around $4 for 16 ounces, it's a great deal.

I use this once a week to clarify my hair. But if you have itchy scalp, this is a great combo to use.

I agree the Tea Tree Tingle is great, and also Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo, Kiss My Face Big Body, and Kinky Curly Come Clean are great!
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file