Little Penguins - "Moldy" Product Alert

Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Registered Users Posts: 2,748 Curl Novice
I am not sure if anyone has expierenced any issues with their Little Penguin's Fresh Cream...I personally have not but I did receive the below email soI will be investigating. Please check your products and let the ladies at Little Penguin's know they can compensate you accordingly.

Hello everyone,

This is going to a large distribution list, and it's coming directly from me, the CEO, and founder of LP Online.

Probably an unusual step that I'm taking with this, but we are trying to do everything differently as a company and that includes dealing with product issues. As much as I hate to have to do this, our customers and clients need to be able to trust, that we as a company will always be honest with you.

We are having an issue with our best selling product, Fresh Cream. There is a very small batch (10) that went out, and we believe it was packaged too warm. We are getting reports of mold on the product. They are coming in from the same tiny batch, so I'm expecting to get a handful more regarding this. We think the condensation/steam gathered in the protective lid and began to grow, and then transferred to the product.
The last thing we want to do is be defensive, or make excuses about something you tell us.
Either the products we put out there are good, or they aren't. End of story. No PR spin.
We appreciate the people who contacted us, they are good people, who use the rest of the product line, and have used the Fresh Cream, some, many times before, and want to continue to do so.
Please contact us as if you have anything similar happen, so that we can fix it.
It is a small batch, but we still expect to hear from some more people about this.

That being said, we use a very new broad spectrum preservative, that is natural, and only effective at certain PH levels, at 2%. Several very good product brands including one of my favorites -John Masters Organics, use Leuicidal Liquid and we love it, but maybe something else would have stopped the condensation in it's tracks.
You are our company, and we want you to give us your feedback on what will make you feel safest, to put on your own body, and your childrens bodies.
Would you feel safer if we offered the Fresh Cream with something like Optiphen, Natraguard which are non paraffin preservative, but still effective?
Would you like to have us offer it with the option of either preservative? Everyone has very strong opinions about preservatives, and all are valid.
We don't want a repeat of the condensation issue, so we need to look at using an additional protector, and still keep it as natural as possible. We have also changed the standard temperature that we will package this concentrated product at.

I hate that anyone had to have a less then perfect experience with our company, especially with a product that they love.

Kelly
**sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

http://www.platinumpj.com
http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ
@PlatinumPJ

Comments

• 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Registered Users Posts: 1,589
    I am not sure if anyone has expierenced any issues with their Little Penguin's Fresh Cream...I personally have not but I did receive the below email soI will be investigating. Please check your products and let the ladies at Little Penguin's know they can compensate you accordingly.

Hello everyone,

This is going to a large distribution list, and it's coming directly from me, the CEO, and founder of LP Online.

Probably an unusual step that I'm taking with this, but we are trying to do everything differently as a company and that includes dealing with product issues. As much as I hate to have to do this, our customers and clients need to be able to trust, that we as a company will always be honest with you.

We are having an issue with our best selling product, Fresh Cream. There is a very small batch (10) that went out, and we believe it was packaged too warm. We are getting reports of mold on the product. They are coming in from the same tiny batch, so I'm expecting to get a handful more regarding this. We think the condensation/steam gathered in the protective lid and began to grow, and then transferred to the product.
    The last thing we want to do is be defensive, or make excuses about something you tell us.
    Either the products we put out there are good, or they aren't. End of story. No PR spin.
    We appreciate the people who contacted us, they are good people, who use the rest of the product line, and have used the Fresh Cream, some, many times before, and want to continue to do so.
    Please contact us as if you have anything similar happen, so that we can fix it.
    It is a small batch, but we still expect to hear from some more people about this.

That being said, we use a very new broad spectrum preservative, that is natural, and only effective at certain PH levels, at 2%. Several very good product brands including one of my favorites -John Masters Organics, use Leuicidal Liquid and we love it, but maybe something else would have stopped the condensation in it's tracks.
    You are our company, and we want you to give us your feedback on what will make you feel safest, to put on your own body, and your childrens bodies.
    Would you feel safer if we offered the Fresh Cream with something like Optiphen, Natraguard which are non paraffin preservative, but still effective?
    Would you like to have us offer it with the option of either preservative? Everyone has very strong opinions about preservatives, and all are valid.
    We don't want a repeat of the condensation issue, so we need to look at using an additional protector, and still keep it as natural as possible. We have also changed the standard temperature that we will package this concentrated product at.

I hate that anyone had to have a less then perfect experience with our company, especially with a product that they love.

Kelly
    Does she mean non-paraben preservative?
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Registered Users Posts: 439
    I applaud her for the fact that she's stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility as owner/CEO. Unlike other companies who shall not be named, she's not kicking stuff under the table and dodging questions and concerns.
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    I've never even heard of this company...LANK?
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • NikG20NikG20 Registered Users Posts: 461 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't have a problem either. Loooove their honey & vanilla bean smoothie.
    Hz5exYvWIb4
    Children's Natural Hair Care & Styling Blog:
  • afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Registered Users Posts: 5,400 Curl Connoisseur
    Kudos to her for doing the right thing.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
  • coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    what a beautiful site she has!!!
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Registered Users Posts: 2,748 Curl Novice
    sagehen wrote: »

Hello everyone,

Kelly
    Does she mean non-paraben preservative?

Yes, I believe she does mean non-paraben preservative.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

@PlatinumPJ
    I applaud her for the fact that she's stepping up to the plate and taking responsibility as owner/CEO. Unlike other companies who shall not be named, she's not kicking stuff under the table and dodging questions and concerns.

+1 I agree...I wish more companies were upfront.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

@PlatinumPJ
  • CocoTCocoT Registered Users Posts: 5,330
    These products look really good. I wonder if she'll have a sale.
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I didn't order the fresh cream, but none of my stuff has molded. I agree, the Smoothie is great! It's also cool that she is taking the initiative and emailing folks before they have to contact her.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • mimismommimismom Registered Users Posts: 202
    Yeah, I saw mold on my fresh cream and threw it out last weekend. I was so pissed and decided I wasn't going to order from them again. I'm glad that they took the initiative to reach out to their customers so I'm looking forward to trying it out again. I also liked the smoothie. Has anyone tried the ella jelly?
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Registered Users Posts: 6,446 Curl Neophyte
    I have the Ella Jelly. It's WAY too thin, imo. It gave me a nice, soft wng, but it's so hard to use in the jar and i had to use so much. I like it better for rewetting twists if your hair starts to dry during your twisting session.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Registered Users Posts: 1,084 Curl Neophyte
    Great of her to be so honest! It's actions like those that help a company thrive, even when they hit incidents like this one. No one likes screw ups, but everyone appreciates good customer service and sincerity.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
    Great of her to be so honest! It's actions like those that help a company thrive, even when they hit incidents like this one. No one likes screw ups, but everyone appreciates good customer service and sincerity.

+1
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D

Inspired by Keenylicious

Inspired by LeeLee
    I have the Ella Jelly. It's WAY too thin, imo. It gave me a nice, soft wng, but it's so hard to use in the jar and i had to use so much. I like it better for rewetting twists if your hair starts to dry during your twisting session.

+1 it is very thin...my neices twists lasted about 8 days with minimal frizz. I did transfer mine to a pump which helpes with getting out just the right amount needed. I am heavy handed.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

@PlatinumPJ
    I like thin gels. Probably why I love the QB gel. I just use it for twists and to smooth down my edges. I'm putting the ella jelly on my list :tongue5: The ingredients sound really interesting.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    Sad to report...my fresh cream has mold.
    Attachment not found.Attachment not found.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

@PlatinumPJ
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    My fresh cream is fine. I like the smoothie as well

Yeahhhhhboi, Im on my smartphone!!!

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    Attachments not working. Upload them from the manage attachments
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    CocoT wrote: »

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    Attachments not working. Upload them from the manage attachments

:angry3: I hope it works now

13713[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

@PlatinumPJ
  • mimismommimismom Registered Users Posts: 202

Oh ok. Thanks. Maybe she'll add a little sample of it for me so I can try it out.
  • makeupvixenmakeupvixen Registered Users Posts: 507
    I have the Fresh Cream, Smoothie, Ella Jelly and Pomade and nothing has spoiled or went moldy on me.

Glad she is addressing the issue. Its great she is practicing good business tact. Appluading!
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    Never tried the products, but I've looked at the website several times. This is good to hear that she has excellent customer service...next sale she has I'm going to jump on it.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • favoritecolorblufavoritecolorblu Registered Users Posts: 287
    Interesting products. When I get money I might try some. I have yet to use all of my Mozeke...

And wow. That's unfortunate. Sorry you got the bad batch... :( But at least she put out a warning for everyone. :)
    I have the Fresh Cream, Smoothie, Ella Jelly and Pomade and nothing has spoiled or went moldy on me.

Glad she is addressing the issue. Its great she is practicing good business tact. Appluading!

I'm very happy with the customer service. I emailed the pics and requested a replacement she responded in under an hour indicating my replacement would go out next week.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

@PlatinumPJ

I'm very happy with the customer service. I emailed the pics and requested a replacement she responded in under an hour indicating my replacement would go out next week.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    Yay!!!
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    Yay!!!

+1
    I think its quite funny (ironically) because little does she know that this issue may get her more customers :wav:

Inspired by Keenylicious

Inspired by LeeLee
    Any more reviews on this stuff? Scent details? :happy2: I'm itching to try this stuff but I'd like to see just a little more about it.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Any more reviews on this stuff? Scent details? :happy2: I'm itching to try this stuff but I'd like to see just a little more about it.

Prior to spoiling I used the fresh cream over zipporah's vmms for my twist out and it lasted 5 days with no retwisting and no refreshing (I'm lazy and hate to do my hair more than 1 a wk). My hair was moist, defined yet soft. I can't put my finger on the smell it isn't bad nor does it linger...its not fruity or cupcake smelling either. This is a repurchase.

Ella Jelly is too runny for the container...I put mine in a bottle with a pump and I was able to do more with less and my wng was "ok"...no crunch or frizz but very little hold. I've had better results with ufd and kccc so this won't be a repurchase.

HTH..I haven't gotten areound to trying the smoothie yet.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP

@PlatinumPJ

Prior to spoiling I used the fresh cream over zipporah's vmms for my twist out and it lasted 5 days with no retwisting and no refreshing (I'm lazy and hate to do my hair more than 1 a wk). My hair was moist, defined yet soft. I can't put my finger on the smell it isn't bad nor does it linger...its not fruity or cupcake smelling either. This is a repurchase.

Ella Jelly is too runny for the container...I put mine in a bottle with a pump and I was able to do more with less and my wng was "ok"...no crunch or frizz but very little hold. I've had better results with ufd and kccc so this won't be a repurchase.

HTH..I haven't gotten areound to trying the smoothie yet.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
    Thanks! I'm eyeing the fresh cream and the smoothie especially.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file