CurlTalk

Screw patience?

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
Toward the end of February I dyed my reddish medium brown hair with a light golden brown box hair color. I probably could have left the dye in a little longer as the difference it made was just a little noticeable.

It seems that 3 months is the general amount of time it's recommended that you should wait in between colorings. As a curly with hair that inherently should be treated gentler, I figured I should wait 4 months.

Meanwhile I looked around for a particular true, dark red that I was imagining, and found one that was really well liked from a discontinued line. Since I needed to jump on it while there was still time, I ordered it and should have it in a couple days.

So now I'm thinking of defaulting to the 3 month guideline. My hair wasn't as healthy as I would like before the February dye, but I can't say that coloring caused much abuse to my hair. I think when I find gentler styling products for my hair, its health will improve...that's the weakest present link.

I'm not that experienced of a colorer so I'm not sure what the healthiest move is here. Thoughts would be much appreciated :)
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• wendi.wendywendi.wendy Posts: 174Registered Users
    I think you should be fine at 3 months -- go for it! :) I use Naturtint and generally color my hair every 6-7 weeks or so with no ill effects.

I do it to cover gray as well as perk up my color...I could never wait 3 months or I would have 2 inches of gray roots, lol. :nike:
    ~ Wendi in IL
    3a - fine, colored hair w/normal porosity (loves protein!)
    CG since March 2010
    Co-Wash: V05, Suave or Cure Care
    Low Poo: Desert Essence
    Condish: GVP Balm, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening

Leave-In: Cure Care, KCKT
    Styler: SS FHG, Re-Coil, LALSG, BRHG

• meganmoncatarmeganmoncatar Posts: 3Registered Users
    Give your hair a chance to breathe from hair coloring. I think letting it untouched for 3 months is okey. I think the problem that you have is managing your hair for 3 months while thinking the kind of transition you want to your hair. Coloring your hair can sometimes damage it's natural chemistry. You need to use products that best gives moisture to avoid severe dryness.

I have the dye in hand now. I recently ran out of a good deep conditioner so once I replace it, and also get a decent gel (my go-to mousse is a little drying), THEN I'll go ahead and use the hair coloring. At that point it will probably have been 3 months and two weeks after coloring. It's less careful than I planned on being back in February...I am kinda screwing patience, but don't feel too reckless about it, heh.

:rambo:
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity