Best products for co-washing

MaggabMaggab Posts: 25Registered Users
I'm new here to NC, although I've been using the CG method for almost two years. What are the best conditioners to use for co-washing? I've read a lot about the V05 and the Suave, but are those brands totally free of silicones? That's my main concern.

I currently co-wash with DevaCare One Condition; I buy it in the liter size and a bottle lasts me six months. However, I'd like to know about some cheaper alternatives.

Thanks!
3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
LI: MOP Leave-In
Sealant: JCOB
Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
Finishers: DCSIF
DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF

Comments

• moelarrymoelarry Posts: 20Registered Users
    I use both the VO5 (passion fruit for the smell) and Suave (coconut or green apple). They are cone free, however, since manufacturers are prone to 'improving' their products from time to time, you always need to read labels when you purchase products. I like the VO5 best because it's insanely cheap, runny and slippy. I believe the original CG method advocated using a small amount of condish on your fingertips, but I have found that approach ineffective. I can't get enough slip to get it moved around my entire scalp using just a fingertip amount. Instead I use a palm full, so the inexpensive conditioners are best for my purposes.
    3a/3b growing out, CG 01/2011, medium texture, normal porosity/elasticity (LCLF)

Cowash-vo5/Sauve, RO-GVP Condish Balm/ION Effective Care, LI- AOHR/GVP condish balm w/drop of honey, styler-AG:Recoil, Gel-LALSG, BRHG
  • bliss611bliss611 Posts: 238Registered Users
    I am currently using Tresemme Naturals - the avocado/aloe moisturizing one. I got it on sale - about $4 for 25oz bottle.

I have also used Giovanni Tea Tree conditioner for co-washing. It costs a bit more but is thicker so once you dilute it, a little goes a long way. It's tingly and feels fresh so I use it more in the summer sticky months.
    3B curls
    Medium texture
    Normal elasticity
    High porosity
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Just wanted to add that if you're thinking about Suave, make sure it's the Naturals line. The Professionals line is the one that has silicones.

I first started with Suave but switched to V05 about two years ago for the same reasons as moelarry.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Posts: 109Registered Users
    I like the Tressemme Naturals and VO5 moisture milks.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file