FSG, preservatives and not refrigerating

Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
Exactly how long will FSG keep outside of the refrigerator if you use a preservative? Or will it keep at all outside the fridge, even with a preservative??

I'm going on a missions trip this Summer and won't be able to keep it in the fridge, so I'm trying to figure this out.
Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
Rinse:
ACV rinse
Detangler/Conditioner:
Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer

Comments

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I suggest you look into getting a commercial, broad-spectrum preservative - at least think about it. Companies who sell lotion-making, soap-making, and skincare-product making supplies have these with names like "Germaben" and "Optiphen" and "Suttocide." There are others. You have to be careful to use ones that are in products you have used at home in products before so you don't have a skin reaction.

If that's not something you want to dig into, you can go the less-chemical-y route using citric acid (1/4 teaspoon in 1 cup FSG) and even better to add a heaping 1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate (used to make beer etc) and about the same amount of vitamin E (oil or from a capsule) and make sure you've cleaned out your bottle with bleach solution or rubbing alcohol (rinse only with boiled water, not tap water) and sterilize all your utensils with rubbing alcohol.
    Your additives, then, will be the non-sterile things and I would think you should be able to add them and then re-boil it all to kill bacteria (not 100% sure you can boil honey without a problem in texture). You don't want to boil the potassium sorbate or vitamin E, though!

If your product is sterile, it might last a week or more un-chilled. I have done this with FSG with these preservatives (but I was not careful about sterilization and re-boiling the additives) in fall and it lasted almost a week before getting cloudy. Sterilization (and citric acid) should stave off bacterial growth and the potassium sorbate deals with molds. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which helps prevent rancidity.

Definitely try it before you go to see if whatever preservative you use is going to work at room temperature. Put it outdoors for storage if that simulates the right temperature. If you see signs of cloudiness, foaming, change in texture or odor, then the preservative/sterilization was not successful.

I have seen a recipe for FSG which includes a tablespoon of vodka to help the gel dry - that might help too. Seems like it would be drying, but if it wasn't for a long time it might be okay.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    IAgirl wrote: »
    I suggest you look into getting a commercial, broad-spectrum preservative - at least think about it. Companies who sell lotion-making, soap-making, and skincare-product making supplies have these with names like "Germaben" and "Optiphen" and "Suttocide." There are others. You have to be careful to use ones that are in products you have used at home in products before so you don't have a skin reaction.

If that's not something you want to dig into, you can go the less-chemical-y route using citric acid (1/4 teaspoon in 1 cup FSG) and even better to add a heaping 1/8 teaspoon potassium sorbate (used to make beer etc) and about the same amount of vitamin E (oil or from a capsule) and make sure you've cleaned out your bottle with bleach solution or rubbing alcohol (rinse only with boiled water, not tap water) and sterilize all your utensils with rubbing alcohol.
    Your additives, then, will be the non-sterile things and I would think you should be able to add them and then re-boil it all to kill bacteria (not 100% sure you can boil honey without a problem in texture). You don't want to boil the potassium sorbate or vitamin E, though!

If your product is sterile, it might last a week or more un-chilled. I have done this with FSG with these preservatives (but I was not careful about sterilization and re-boiling the additives) in fall and it lasted almost a week before getting cloudy. Sterilization (and citric acid) should stave off bacterial growth and the potassium sorbate deals with molds. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which helps prevent rancidity.

Definitely try it before you go to see if whatever preservative you use is going to work at room temperature. Put it outdoors for storage if that simulates the right temperature. If you see signs of cloudiness, foaming, change in texture or odor, then the preservative/sterilization was not successful.

I have seen a recipe for FSG which includes a tablespoon of vodka to help the gel dry - that might help too. Seems like it would be drying, but if it wasn't for a long time it might be okay.

Okay, let's hope this works!! I've been trying to log in and reply ever since you posted, but it's not been working. Ever since they changed the boards I've been having issues with logging in and replying.

Anyways.....I made a test batch today using citric acid, potassium sorbate and vitamin E and sterilized everything. I'm keeping it on the screened in porch to simulate the temperature it's going be kept in (90's and humid). So we'll see how that goes!! I'll be there for more than a week, but even if it lasts a week, that's fine. I can keep my hair in a pony tail the rest of the time. I may have to just buy gel.

Thanks!!!!!
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    Glad to hear from you. I hope that works. All the sterilizing and rinsing with boiled water and everything sounds like a lot of work, but it really only adds a few minutes to the prep time.
    I didn't mention using distilled water (of which you can get a gallon for less than $1); it is purer than tap water or filtered tap water.

If it doesn't work for you, let me know (send a PM) because I have 2 broad-spectrum preservatives here that I cannot use, but you might be able to use if you don't have a sensitivity and I will send you some in the mail if you like. Better than having it here going to waste.
    So far so good. I used filtered tap water when making this. I'll use distilled water if I make it again before I leave.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to use a broad-spectrum preservatives because I am sensitive to a lot of things and allergic to a lot of things. Thanks for offering though!! :)

If it doesn't work, I'll probably just buy some Kiss My Face gel, which works okay for me, though leaves my hairline a little itchy. Better than nothing, though.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

Sorry I haven't replied, but I've been super busy with prep before leaving and I just got back yesterday. I'm home this week and then I'm gone for the rest of the summer, with only time for email and FB.

The FSG only lasted a week, and even though it lasted a week, I was gone for not quite 3 weeks. I found some KCCC in the back of my closet and tested that out. It worked okay. Not quite as good as FSG, but it worked. So I brought that along and used it.
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:

Welcome home!
    It's difficult to preserve what amount to foods, without refrigeration. Should the need arise again, you might check out Cosmocil CQ as a pretty darn non-irritating preservative.
    I should have a look at some FSG that has gone bad to see whether the offenders are bacteria or fungi. I suspect the latter.
    I'll put it on my "homework list."

I hope the trip was a good one and you fulfilled what you set out to accomplish.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file