Calling all rosaceans: what's your skin care routine?

bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
My rosacea has been a lot more active lately - more than it's ever been since I was diagnosed 15 years ago. It's still moderate, fortunately. I have an appointment with a new dermatologist on Tuesday, and I'm a bit nervous. None of the topical medications I've used over the years have done much for me (Metrogel and Finacea); my last dermatologist prescribed Clinda-Derm, which just isn't getting it done.

I've tried various cleansers and moisturizers but never found anything I was very happy with. I've been using the CeraVe line for the past couple of years. It's okay, and better than anything else I've used, but I'm not thrilled with it. I'd prefer my skin care products to be natural or naturally-based, but I'll use anything that will calm the redness. However, I can't afford to spend the $40 some companies charge for 4 oz. of cleanser.

So, after that long prelude to my question, what's everybody using? What's working for you, and what have you tried that didn't? I know everyone's skin is different (just like our hair), but I'm curious and would love to hear your experiences.
3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
Love flour sack towels.
Coconut oil = magic!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just came on and was going to answer your question in the Clarisonic thread. I figure that it's better here.

I was probably diagnosed 15+ years ago, too. I did oral antibiotics, the creams you mention, laser treatment--you name it, I probably did it.

You skin could be worse because of the pollen/allergies. I know it makes my skin burn. This is the best year yet. I started doing the OCM two, and maybe three, years ago in June. It's been the best thing yet. Two weeks into it my dermatologist saw it and thought my skin looked great! The winter before this, my skin was red, chafed and I couldn't face going for a laser treatment. At that point, I started to use tamanu oil as my moisturizer at night, after OCM. It REALLY helped. I use that or Emu oil during the winter.

I read about the LightStim Roseaca light on Essential Day Spa, I went ahead and purchased it. It's this: LightStim - Professional Rosacea Light - relieves redness, bumps, and symptoms of Rosacea I'm about to do a treatment now. I think I've been using it around a year??? Not sure. I originally used it once a day, but now do it every other. It's FABULOUS. I know it's a big factor in my skin improving.

Last, and not least, I started using Purple Emu Redness and Blemish Control. I really like it. Redness and Blemish Control Have been using it since last October. The .25 oz lasted me almost six months--and I gave some to my aunt to try. I ordered the full ounce when I was out. That way, I could give some to my aunt and still have plenty for me.

My skin seems much better. It was so bad two years ago, I asked the dermatologist for some type of "barrier" ointment--my skin "burned" so badly from the pollen. He prescribed what patients undergoing radiation use on their skin, but it didn't help. This regime does.

HTH
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    kathymack wrote: »
    I just came on and was going to answer your question in the Clarisonic thread. I figure that it's better here.

I was probably diagnosed 15+ years ago, too. I did oral antibiotics, the creams you mention, laser treatment--you name it, I probably did it.

You skin could be worse because of the pollen/allergies. I know it makes my skin burn. This is the best year yet. I started doing the OCM two, and maybe three, years ago in June. It's been the best thing yet. Two weeks into it my dermatologist saw it and thought my skin looked great! The winter before this, my skin was red, chafed and I couldn't face going for a laser treatment. At that point, I started to use tamanu oil as my moisturizer at night, after OCM. It REALLY helped. I use that or Emu oil during the winter.

I read about the LightStim Roseaca light on Essential Day Spa, I went ahead and purchased it. It's this: LightStim - Professional Rosacea Light - relieves redness, bumps, and symptoms of Rosacea I'm about to do a treatment now. I think I've been using it around a year??? Not sure. I originally used it once a day, but now do it every other. It's FABULOUS. I know it's a big factor in my skin improving.

Last, and not least, I started using Purple Emu Redness and Blemish Control. I really like it. Redness and Blemish Control Have been using it since last October. The .25 oz lasted me almost six months--and I gave some to my aunt to try. I ordered the full ounce when I was out. That way, I could give some to my aunt and still have plenty for me.

My skin seems much better. It was so bad two years ago, I asked the dermatologist for some type of "barrier" ointment--my skin "burned" so badly from the pollen. He prescribed what patients undergoing radiation use on their skin, but it didn't help. This regime does.

HTH

Thanks for the info and the links! I'm going to look into all of the above.

I know I have a bunch of triggers going on, the primary one being stress (along with sleep deficit, poor nutrition, not drinking as much water as usual - all related to the stress). I hadn't even thought of my allergies, which have definitely been kicking up. Good to know.

If you wouldn't mind, I have questions about OCM and rosacea. I've done a fair amount of reading on it, starting with The Oil Cleansing Method, as well as several threads here on NC.com and various other websites, but I haven't found a lot of info specific to using it with rosacea (other than that I should deep-6 the castor oil). Most of the folks using it seem to have somewhat different skin issues. I'm in my early 40's, so I'm also starting to have "mature" skin concerns, in addition to the rosacea and overall sensitivity.

My concerns are twofold: the hot cloth/steam, and the rubbing necessary to remove the oil. How do you cope with this? Have you modified the process in some way? I'm interested in trying it, but I'm worried about irritating my skin further. I'd be very grateful for any advice you have. I'm off to check out LightStim right now!
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I was diagnosed 2 years ago and my case is very mild. I was at the derm for a spot on my cheek (she removed it that day) and then she said "blah, blah, something, something, with your rosacea I would not have you use, blah, blah". I about shouted, WHAT??!!"

No one ever told me that I had rosacea. She did.

I have Finacea but really just use it in the winter or if I try a skin care product that flares it. Which is a lot.

So, since mine is the non-acne, mild version, my products may not be helpful whatsoever. My skin is actually dry.

I prefer more natural products as you. I do not use cones of sulfates on my body OR hair!

I cleanse my face at night and water rinse in the morning.

I cleanse with California Baby sensitive skin fragrance free wash. Removes makeup and cleanses. I get it at Target and my bottle looks a bit different than the one shown here.
    California Baby Shampoo & Bodywash, Super Sensitive

Daytime moisturizer is Lavanila spf 40. I get it at Sephora and it lasts a LONG time.
    Sephora: LAVANILA The Healthy Sun Screen SPF 40 Face Cream: Sun Protection

Nighttime moisturizer is Yes to Carrots. I get it Target as well.
    Buy Yes To Carrots Repairing Night Cream Online at drugstore.com

That is it. Simple.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
    I'll be 60 in November, so I've had "mature" skin for a while now. I've never heard of not using castor oil in OCM mix for rosacea. I use a mix with 10% castor oil, 50% sunflower oil and fill in with other oils like rice bran, apricot seed, etc. I sometimes add a little tea tree (I have a lot of oils around, so I use them.) I keep a 16 ounce bottle around and have it marked with levels for my oils--kind of like a Good Seasons Salad Dressing Carafe. My skin has liked it since day one. I use hot water on my wash clothe and steam, don't put it right on my face until it cools. It's not necessary to "scrub" the oil off. A few light passes with the wash clothe takes care of it.

I am allergic to most sun screens. Can't use the moisturizers, etc. on my face. The only product I can use right now is LaRoche-Posay. I stay out of the sun, for the most part, only use it when I KNOW I'll be exposed for any length of time. I used to get samples of products from the dermatologist. They'd be fine for a few uses, I'd buy a full sized bottle and have to give it away!

I bought the Purple Emu sun protect with my last order, but haven't tried it yet.
    Protective Sun Creme
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm 41, oily skin, mild rosacea.

OCM backfired on me. It started out great, and two months in I got even oiler. Waaaay oilier.

After reading RCWs posts about soaps and their disruption on the skin barrier, I changed up my cleanser. Most of the year, I use PSF gentle castile cleanser. citric acid cuts the alkalinity of the castile.

http://www.psfskincare.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16133

In the winter, I like Diana Yvonne Wheat Germ Cleanser. It's very gentle, but isn't quite enough for me in the oilier summer months.

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/CSTC23/Wheat-Germ-Cleanser-1oz.html

I use BHA for its anti inflammatory help and for my blackheads. I don't tolerate AHA well. I use this BHA since it has much more oomph than drugstore stuff. I really notice when I skip it. Exfol serum.

http://store.reverseskinaging.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=86

CP serum. Very helpful stuff for me. I started with the gentler GHK copper and worked up to regular CP serum.

http://www.skinbio.com/cpserum.html

Diana Yvonne Ultra Emu Oil. Love this stuff. It does help with the redness when used consistently.

http://www.dianayvonne.com/product/LB002/ULTRA-Emu-Oil-1-oz.html

I avoid as much ahas and fruit based stuff as possible since they can trigger.

Heat, sun, and exertion are my main triggers. Spicy foods and alcohol come next for me.

Luckily, I don't have sunscreen sensitivity issues. I use Bioderma Max Fluide on my face. US sunscreens don't have enough UVA protection for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    You ladies are awesome - thank you so much! I was hoping you'd show up, RCC. :toothy7: I know from other threads that you have mild rosacea, and your skin is super pale, like mine (I'm also from a Celtic background). I'm so glad you mentioned the citric acid in the PSF cleanser. I had looked at it, but the fact that it was castile-based made me hesitant. Other than spicy foods, my major known triggers are the same as yours, plus stress and winter wind. AHAs are a definite no-no for me.

kathymack, the article containing the caveat about castor oil is here: Facial Cleansing Method with Oil (OCM). I've seen it reprinted in a couple of different places, as well.

I think I need some emu oil. I had been considering it, having read about people having success using it for rosacea; both RCC and KM recommending it has put it over the top.

Thanks for the tip on California Baby, JJC - another great option I can get on the ground (always good to have in a pinch).

I feel a skin care buying spree coming on...

Lowpoo:
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • queenofdisks80queenofdisks80 Posts: 155Registered Users
    Have you ever tried any of the Paula's Choice products? They have been fantastic for me.

A little background for comparison. I'm 30 w/ very fair skin and auburn 3b/c hair. My rosacea is fairly mild w/ sun and a few allergens as triggers. I'm oily w/ a dry surface and experience a few hormonal as well as rosacea induced break outs. I'm becoming increasingly sensitive to beauty products.

The Paula's Choice line was developed by the woman who writes the Don't Go to the Beauty Counter w/o Me books and her products are only available through her website, which keeps the prices reasonable (most products b/w $18-$22). I've had great success w/ all of her products, so check them out. Although I too use CeraVe as my cleanser.
    3b/3c at nape/a little 3a on the sides, med-course, high porosity, colored.
    Protein sensitive, hard water.

spritz and condish
    low-poo: shea moisture, Y to Cucs (clarifying)
    RO: CJ A&OO, CJSL,GVPCB
    LI: CJ A&OO, CJCR
    DT:CJCR, GVPCB+evoo&honey
    stylers: FSG, SM Curl & Style Milk, CJCCCL, CJCIAB & Biolage gelee
    refresher:CJSL, CJCCCL, Lustrasilk OO
    PT: Sally's K-Pak, AO GPB
    Thanks for the link, bluesheep. This is the one I follow: The Oil Cleansing Method - A simple, cleansing facial massage for clear skin! I think I have some flax seed oil in the refrigerator--I may add a little to my mix. It smells terrible, but if it's healing--who knows??
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack, the link you provided is the one I started with (and definitely the best info by far!), but I'm an info junkie, so I've been reading anything and everything I can find. Let me know if you try the flax oil. I had the same thought - worth trying if it's healing - but what's with that stench??? :-? Maybe some tea tree would kill the smell.

queenofdisks, thanks for the recommendation. I read the first edition of Paula Begoun's book when it was published back in 1992 (I worked in the cosmetics industry at the time). I have mixed feelings about her; while I think some of her info is good, she seems very biased against naturally-based products. Her credibility took a hit with me when she started selling her own line of products, some of which contradict her previous statements (made before she started her own line). Also, some of her products contain ingredients that I'm not keen on (like mineral oil and some coating agents). That said, I have heard good things about her products from others who have rosacea, and if they work, that's what really matters. It always makes me happy to hear someone's found things that work for them. I also really like the fact that she offers samples - very customer friendly! In other words, I'm open to trying anything (as long as it isn't toxic). :geek: Love your screen name, btw!

Keep it coming, people. Don't be shy!

Lowpoo:
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
    Made a mistake, it's hemp seed oil that's in the refrigerator--and smells.

My 16 oz. bottle of OCM mix was about 1/3 empty. So, I filled it with Apricot Kernal and Sweet Almond Oil--they were recommended in your link and I had a few ounces of each in the bathroom. I keep a 2 ounce bottle of my mix by the sink and it was almost empty. I put in a little flax seed oil, camillia oil and a few drops of tea tree EO and filled it with my castor oil diluted OCM mix. I was only at 10% with the castor oil, so now I'm less. Your link said 1-10%, so I thought I'd see how I did at a lower level. I have a few more of the "healing" oils, but I think they are more for cold, dry winter. I'll use this mix for a little while and see if there's a difference.

Now, I'm "jonesing" for a Clarisonic, but not sure what model I should buy. If I need more then one speed or not.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Made a mistake, it's hemp seed oil that's in the refrigerator--and smells.

My 16 oz. bottle of OCM mix was about 1/3 empty. So, I filled it with Apricot Kernal and Sweet Almond Oil--they were recommended in your link and I had a few ounces of each in the bathroom. I keep a 2 ounce bottle of my mix by the sink and it was almost empty. I put in a little flax seed oil, camillia oil and a few drops of tea tree EO and filled it with my castor oil diluted OCM mix. I was only at 10% with the castor oil, so now I'm less. Your link said 1-10%, so I thought I'd see how I did at a lower level. I have a few more of the "healing" oils, but I think they are more for cold, dry winter. I'll use this mix for a little while and see if there's a difference.

Now, I'm "jonesing" for a Clarisonic, but not sure what model I should buy. If I need more then one speed or not.

You are the mix-mistress - I'm impressed! Looking forward to hearing your updates.

As far as the Clarisonic, my vote is for the "classic". I looked at the Mia, too when I bought mine (thinking the same thing). When I really thought about it and realized I could get the full Monty for only $45 more, and that multiple speeds might be handy if I wanted to use it on my body (with the firmer brush head - I love that you can change them at will), I went for it. No regrets! C'mon, do it. You know you want to.... :)

Lowpoo:
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
    bluesheep wrote: »

As far as the Clarisonic, my vote is for the "classic". I looked at the Mia, too when I bought mine (thinking the same thing). When I really thought about it and realized I could get the full Monty for only $45 more, and that multiple speeds might be handy if I wanted to use it on my body (with the firmer brush head - I love that you can change them at will), I went for it. No regrets! C'mon, do it. You know you want to.... :)

In typical fashion, I went a little further and bought the "pro." I didn't want to have any regrets later on. Can't wait to get it.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    In typical fashion, I went a little further and bought the "pro." I didn't want to have any regrets later on. Can't wait to get it.

You're my idol. Rock on!

Lowpoo:
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
    Thought I'd resurrect this thread. A Canadian curly, who is every bit the skin product pj, suggested these products. I just started using Osmosis Rosacea / Sensitive Full Size Kit-Mend last week. I finally have a cleanser that doesn't upset my skin! I wanted a cleanser to use with my Clarisonic instead of just water. So far, no problems.

I've been using the Cleanser, Clear and Quench every night. Alternating the Calm (new name for the Mend) and Repair. So far, it's great. The website I linked has specials all of the time, so check them out before placing an order.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I apologize for the length of this in advance. I know this is an older thread but I have to ask... has anyone tried raw honey? I'll explain the reason for asking in just a moment. I'm making an apt with a dermatologist soon. I've been considering the fact that I could have rosacea. My mother does, and her flare up's became worse in her mid 40's. I'm 36 and have been having more reactions than I can count in past 6 months. I tried a sample face mask last night and had a reaction. Right now I would like to scratch the top layer of skin off! I have swollen red bumps on the sides of my face and above my eyebrows. This has happened many times before and the skin on my nose, cheeks, chin and chest have had a pinkish/red tint for years (blood red when I work out/get hot). I also do not get along with the sun, at all. After having a reaction to every product I touched, I researched different cleansers and came across raw honey. In my reading I remembered seeing so many glowing reviews about honey for rosacea. Several women said this had worked better than any product they had used, in the past 30 years. Aside from this recent mask flare up my skin has been so much calmer since using it. I had also purchased a Ilike Organic Skin rose petal cleansing milk, for sensitive skin. I found out it is recommended for those with rosacea. It's very calming, but it is very expensive. It is one of the few things not breaking me out so I'll have to deal with it. Again, I'm not 100% sure if I do or do not have it. I will find out soon. I just wanted to see if any of you had tried it (without starting a thread). I know it's different strokes, for different folks, but I do appreciate input from those with experience.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file