CG--does brushing take you back to square one?

SunshinelizSunshineliz Posts: 29Registered Users
I am a wavy, but interested in CG. I noticed on another thread many people showing how their hair just kept getting better with time and sticking to the method. I got the book too and it said that wavies may take a few weeks to really see results. And the book kept talking about not messing up your curl pattern.

My question is: if it can take so long to really see results, does doing something off the suggestions--like brushing your hair--set you back in the progress? Does "messing up your curl pattern" take you back to square one? Also, does using a sulfate-shampoo once in a while set you back as well?

(I'm having a hard time giving up my brush, and am feeling unkempt when I just finger-comb through my wonky waves--but I haven't really gone CG yet.)
Closet wavy...trying to decide if I want to come out.:)

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Brushing can disrupt your curl pattern, but I think it depends on when you do it.

The best time to brush is in the shower when it is coated in conditioner. This leads to less breakage and disruption. I actually do this with my Denman brush to detangle my rinse-out conditioner. It works better for me than finger combing and helps with clumps.

Brushing dry hair is bad. And for me, brushing when applying styling products messes up any curls and clumps I had. Experiment to find what works for you!

A sulfate shampoo every once in a while isn't bad, but it may take a few washes to bounce back. I sometimes use a low-poo with no sulfates to clarify because it's less drying.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    I am a wavy, but interested in CG. I noticed on another thread many people showing how their hair just kept getting better with time and sticking to the method. I got the book too and it said that wavies may take a few weeks to really see results. And the book kept talking about not messing up your curl pattern.

My question is: if it can take so long to really see results, does doing something off the suggestions--like brushing your hair--set you back in the progress? Does "messing up your curl pattern" take you back to square one? Also, does using a sulfate-shampoo once in a while set you back as well?

(I'm having a hard time giving up my brush, and am feeling unkempt when I just finger-comb through my wonky waves--but I haven't really gone CG yet.)

I use a wide tooth comb, which I think for you would be a good medium between a brush and fingers. Also, I use a sulfate free shampoo, which is nice if you want to clarify/take a break from co washing.
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file