Keratin left curly?

hairdavehairdave Registered Users Posts: 14
Is it possible to apply Keratin but leave your hair curly? If so, what would the process be? I was thinking that it would be great to have the benefits of the keratin to control the frizz and shine but still have curly hair

Comments

• DimePiece17DimePiece17 Registered Users Posts: 521
    no. Without applying heat the product can't bond to the hair. I do my bkts at home...i do only about 6 passes with the flat iron and my curls are just how i like them. Do it yourself and you can control your results.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • hairdavehairdave Registered Users Posts: 14
    Plenty of questions. 6 passes with the flat iron? Is that 6 passes on each section or 6 passes for your whole head? How many passes do you normally require with the flat iron to set the Keratin? Is your hair straight when you finish with the 6 passes?

If you washed your hair right after you set the keratin with the iron, would it stay curly?

Thanks for your response.
  • LoriLuLoriLu Registered Users Posts: 12
    IMO you should only do Brazilian keratin straightening treatment if you want your hair STRAIGHT and frizz free. (And if you are desperate.) There are much better ways of keeping it curly.

I got one and really loved my hair for a few weeks, and then it washed out and so did most of my hair. Plus the formaldehyde you inhale during the LONG process is unhealthy for you. Be sure you know what you are doing, OP.
    lorilou have you done a bkt or had one?

1. Your hair will ONLY be straight if your hair is naturally wavy. If you have curly hair, this won't straighten it. I have 4a curls and have been bkting for a year now.

2. In reference to the 6 passes, you have to google "applying brazilian keratin treatments." Do some research. Watch you tube videos. read through some of these threads.
  • WhoisKatladyWhoisKatlady Registered Users Posts: 8
    No it won't leave it curly at all! Take it from me I did mine in October and I recently started getting my curls back. It also damaged my hair because of the blow drying, and the flat iron. I wouldn't recommend it if u want to keep ur curls

Twitter.com/Whoiskatlady
  • AmarenthAmarenth Registered Users Posts: 10
    Guru thats a good idea about not hitting it so many times with the flat iron. Its been a few weeks since I had mine done and last night was the first night i got my curls to stay and thats just because I hit my product stash and pulled out my curls rock (stuffs like paste). I just cant find a gel that keeps a strong hold in my hair and my curls just disappear. At this point I about just assume to was it out so I can have my curls back :(
    People really should do some thorough research before applying a bkt to the hair.

If your hair is wavy or has a slight curl chances are a bkt of any brand will straighten the hair. You should choose the brand based on your hair texture and your desired result. If you are a 4a like me, no BKT will straighten your hair. You may get close if you use a SUPER strong treatment with a high formaldehyde content and use 3xs the recommended heat, but other than that the chances of it straightening your hair are slim.

If you have looser curls naturally and use a stronger treatment then you may get straighter hair. It ALL depends. Do your research! Read up on all the different brands and select one that works for you. Do it yourself, if you can. I'm a control freak and can't really stomach anyone doing anything in my hair other than extensions every once in a while.Doing it yourself can really control the outcome especially if you want to keep your curls.

For the previous poster:

I had a weird period in December/January where I felt as though my curls wouldn't hold. They just seemed to die after drying...a few weeks, later, however they were back. Weird!

My suggestion: have you used Jane Carter's condition and sculp? It has a nice hold to it and really helped me during that time. ECO Styler gels are good too.

I also seem to like my curls the best after I've gone through about 4 washes which amounts to about 4 weeks post BKT.

Good Luck!
  • erockaerocka Registered Users Posts: 7
    from personal experience, i've had a professional brazilian blowout, and i did my own bkt using organix brand. i have 3b/3c hair, so does my sister, when we got the professional blowout, my sister had the usual10 passes, i got only 5 passes. after the first week my hair began to have loose waves, after scrunching, it was good for the summer. my sisters hair stayed straight well over the months it was supposed to had lasted. but it helped my hair grow because i didn't have to mess with it much.
    when i did the organix bkt at home i only left it on for 24 hours, and then straightened my hair again, when i went to wash it, my hair took lots of scruching under the water before the curls came back, and the curls had noticeably less frizz, and it was shinier.
    sorry this is so long, i hope it helps.
    hair type: 3b/3c

my website for my art (which is mostly afro inspired): www.lamedame.com
  • curlytarocurlytaro Registered Users Posts: 1
    I had the Global Keratin brand treatment done on my virgin 3b/c hair about a month ago and 95% of my curl remained. I'm a solid 3b now, my hair is way easier to detangle, and I have less frizz and shrinkage than ever! I was actually surprised at how little my curl pattern had changed.
  • edotgirl80edotgirl80 Registered Users Posts: 7
    hairdave wrote: »
    Is it possible to apply Keratin but leave your hair curly? If so, what would the process be? I was thinking that it would be great to have the benefits of the keratin to control the frizz and shine but still have curly hair

Hi! The reason you have to use a straightening iron is because the high heat (450 degrees) is what bonds the treatment to your hair. From my experience, and from doing research, it seems that the Keratin treatments take the curls down about 2 levels (anyone else disagree with that statement, let me know!!) - my hair went from 3c (top)/4a (bottom), to 3a (top)/3b (bottom). I LOVE it... Though I do sorta miss my big hair, it would only look good for a day, and it took 20-30 min's for me to paddle brush it in the shower. Now it takes about 5 min's to comb, and I use a leave-in and mousse. Hairdave - what type of curls do you have? Also, I ended up spending almost $500 (WITH a Living Social deal) b/c I needed 6 oz's of the stuff (the stylist had never done more than 4 oz's before - I have never seen anyone with hair like mine, honestly!! Neither have most stylists), and it took every minute of 8 hours!!! Insanity!! Anyways, I don't have that kind of money, so I'm going to start DIY-ing w/ the help of my sis and a friend...

That being said, I don't regret spending that much money, and 99.9% of people won't have to spend THAT much. I think it's a better idea to get it done professionally first, before trying it yourself.
    edotgirl80 wrote: »

Hi! The reason you have to use a straightening iron is because the high heat (450 degrees) is what bonds the treatment to your hair. From my experience, and from doing research, it seems that the Keratin treatments take the curls down about 2 levels (anyone else disagree with that statement, let me know!!) - my hair went from 3c (top)/4a (bottom), to 3a (top)/3b (bottom). I LOVE it... Though I do sorta miss my big hair, it would only look good for a day, and it took 20-30 min's for me to paddle brush it in the shower. Now it takes about 5 min's to comb, and I use a leave-in and mousse. Hairdave - what type of curls do you have? Also, I ended up spending almost $500 (WITH a Living Social deal) b/c I needed 6 oz's of the stuff (the stylist had never done more than 4 oz's before - I have never seen anyone with hair like mine, honestly!! Neither have most stylists), and it took every minute of 8 hours!!! Insanity!! Anyways, I don't have that kind of money, so I'm going to start DIY-ing w/ the help of my sis and a friend...

That being said, I don't regret spending that much money, and 99.9% of people won't have to spend THAT much. I think it's a better idea to get it done professionally first, before trying it yourself.

NOT ALL treatments are created equal. Your results will depend upon your hair texture, the brand of treatment, and HOW it is applied ( how many passes with the flat iron). My first treatments didn't change my curl pattern at all...not even a little. It simply took away the frizz ( for about a week..lol). It really depends. Do your research on the brand you plan to use.
  • CathyOlivaresCathyOlivares Registered Users Posts: 10

Keratin treatment varies from one person to another and the results can be as varied as the number of hair types available now,it boils down to this, either you have Straight but frizzy, thin and wavy, wavy but not too curly, frizzy or damaged hair. This really answers all of your questions,its a cheat sheet..talk of research, here it is and it works for me.Good luck..http://bit.ly/keratintruth:angel8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file