Let's talk about hairspray.

KeLynnKeLynn Registered Users Posts: 182
Does anyone use it? I don't hear it mentioned much on here. But today, I decided to experiment with using hairspray for hold instead of gel. And I kinda love it.

I washed & conditioned as normal, got out of the shower, blotted, put on some curl cream (Curls Souffle). Pixie diffused, then hairsprayed with Elnett. My waves are holding better than usual and I'm not having much trouble keeping volume (a real problem I have with gel, no matter how "light" it is).
2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    A lot of people overlook this CG rule but SD alcohol is not CG. Alcohol is usually the main ingredient of hairspray which is why it's so hard to find a CG hairspray.

I briefly experimented with Tweak which is supposed to be a creamy hairspray alternative. It didn't work for me.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I have thought about it, I know there are alcohol-free hairsprays and that's not terribly different from spray gel. Just haven't tried it - I was waiting for you to post this!
    Cool idea - was it crunchy or stiff?
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I actually have a spray gel that acts just like hairspray... it isn't CG though. (shhhh, I still use the A-cone, no CG police please! LOL) It works wonders for my bangs, which like move from one side to the other.
    I was never a fan of hairspray in general though, but this may be from childhood trauma. (Locked in a car with windows up and Mom pulling out giant sized bottles of Aqua Net before she would even think of moving the car an inch, yeah I have avoided it all my life!)
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I have a garnier spray gel and an alcohol free hairspray from Sally's (Ion). I don't use either on a regular basis. The spray gel is like a more liquidy gel. It sometimes sprays out in little balls of gel and dries on my hair that way :(. It can sometimes perform the same function as a hairspray. For example, it works well for spraying an updo.
    The alcohol free hairspray (Ion) is a bit different. It is more like a wet hairspray that takes a while to dry. When it finally dries it functions much the same as a hairspray. The fast drying aspect is what most people like about traditional hairspray.
    My hair tends to be dry and doesn't get weighed down easily, so hairspray will never be my styling product of choice.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    I went through quite a search trying to find a CG and alcohol-free hairspray but I found one at Sally's. It's by Ion and it works pretty well!! I spray it on after my waves are almost dry and then I pixie diffuse with it for a bit. I haven't used it lately but I'm thinking of breaking out again!:glasses7:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • KeLynnKeLynn Registered Users Posts: 182
    IAgirl wrote: »

It was a little stiff in places, but after I got to work I just scrunched my hair a bit (similar to SOTC) and it calmed down. I'd like to experiment with hairsprays that advertise being "soft" and "flexible" though - I just used what I had on hand, which was Elnett, and I think it was an "extra strong" hold so I kind of expected the stiffness.

swtndspcy wrote: »
    I actually have a spray gel that acts just like hairspray... it isn't CG though. (shhhh, I still use the A-cone, no CG police please! LOL) It works wonders for my bangs, which like move from one side to the other.

Any chance you'd share what spray gel you use? I might be mistaken but I don't think I see it in your sig? I'm not strict CG so I don't mind A-cones :)

I went through quite a search trying to find a CG and alcohol-free hairspray but I found one at Sally's. It's by Ion and it works pretty well!! I spray it on after my waves are almost dry and then I pixie diffuse with it for a bit. I haven't used it lately but I'm thinking of breaking out again!:glasses7:

Interesting! Do you use anything else with it like a curl cream or anything, or do you use the hairspray on its own?
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    It isn't in my siggy, because it isn't a styler I use often. Just when I need some extra hold! And because it's pretty hairspray like, that's most often how I use it. Usually on dry hair that is starting to fall, or on my bangs if they don't want to stay swept to the side.

I can't remember the exact name off the top of my head, but it was FX wild harvest hair for curls, there is one in a squeeze bottle, and one in a spray bottle. I use the one in a spray bottle.
    KeLynn wrote: »
    IAgirl wrote: »

It was a little stiff in places, but after I got to work I just scrunched my hair a bit (similar to SOTC) and it calmed down. I'd like to experiment with hairsprays that advertise being "soft" and "flexible" though - I just used what I had on hand, which was Elnett, and I think it was an "extra strong" hold so I kind of expected the stiffness.

swtndspcy wrote: »

Any chance you'd share what spray gel you use? I might be mistaken but I don't think I see it in your sig? I'm not strict CG so I don't mind A-cones :)

Interesting! Do you use anything else with it like a curl cream or anything, or do you use the hairspray on its own?

I use it as a final step....I guess you could say as a finishing spray. Just to add some weight and hold to my waves. This is all after my other products ;)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

So I hadn't used my hairspray (Ion Alcohol-free Hairspray from Sally's) in a while but I wanted to give it a try and see if it would help with second day hair. And YES it did!! I did my normal second day routine--scrunch with a wet washcloth, scrunch with some Curl Fuel, add a little Mudd and pixie diffuse. After I pixie diffused, I did my makeup then added a little bit of hairspray all over and pixie diffused again and wow!! So much more definition and the hold lasted all day. I even got a compliment! If you use this product, just be warned it does have glycerin in it and it can get sticky if too much is used. Yay for good second day hair!!! :hello1:

Stylers-

• dgprocessdgprocess Registered Users Posts: 63
    I use hairspray every once in a while if I'm going somewhere special and I want my style to 'hold'. I use HE set me up hairspray, and spray it lightly on dry styled hair to give it a little lift at the roots and to keep it in place. It does have dimethyl ether alcohol and PEG-8 dimethicone, but I find it washes out pretty well with low-poo. I'll try the Ion from Sally's next.
    2b, oily scalp, dry hair, thick (iii), medium texture, medium porosity,low elasticity- prone to canopy frizz!
    modified CG since 8/29/10
    currently using:
    low-poo: DevaCurl Low Poo (in summer)
    no-poo: DevaCurl No Poo (in winter)
    co-wash and LI: DevaCurl One Condition
    styler: DevaCurl AnGEL (in winter), Nancy Boy gel (in summer- has no glycerin)
    Pixie diffuse upside down til just damp, clip the hell out of it, and let air dry (or use bonnet dryer), SOTC
    dgprocess wrote: »
    I use hairspray every once in a while if I'm going somewhere special and I want my style to 'hold'. I use HE set me up hairspray, and spray it lightly on dry styled hair to give it a little lift at the roots and to keep it in place. It does have dimethyl ether alcohol and PEG-8 dimethicone, but I find it washes out pretty well with low-poo. I'll try the Ion from Sally's next.

I use the Ion specifically because of it being free of alcohol. I think alcohol has contributed to my scalp issues so I tried to cut it out :glasses1:

Stylers-

• ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I love Tresemme fine mist. Yes, it has alcohol but I have to have hair spray! It is very light weight and flexible. It cowashes out and does not dry out my hair. I only use it on top and on my bangs. I have tried gel sprays and CG sprays but they take forever to dry on my hair causing it to be weighed down or just wet looking. The gels are so sticky, I don't like that. I feel just fine using my hair spray.

BTW: I used to use AquaNet in the 90's because it was the only thing to hold big 90's hair...LOL. Nasty!!!
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
    ththd wrote: »
    I love Tresemme fine mist. Yes, it has alcohol but I have to have hair spray! It is very light weight and flexible. It cowashes out and does not dry out my hair. I only use it on top and on my bangs. I have tried gel sprays and CG sprays but they take forever to dry on my hair causing it to be weighed down or just wet looking. The gels are so sticky, I don't like that. I feel just fine using my hair spray.

BTW: I used to use AquaNet in the 90's because it was the only thing to hold big 90's hair...LOL. Nasty!!!

Girl, I was born and raised and lived almost my entire life in Jersey.......so I know about hairspray and it's magical powers!!! ;)

Stylers-

• curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 1,180
    I'd never thought about using hairspray on my curls, may be worth a go. I'm not a massive fan of the way it makes my hair feel etc though. I only really ever use it on updos or straight hair. Could be a good experiment though :)
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • crazywavescrazywaves Registered Users Posts: 582
    I have resorted to using hair spray lately. I work with someone who has to have the strongest fan they can find. It totally knocks my curls out and causes frizz.

I actually like the HE set me up and the toussel me softly hair sprays. There not cg but I dont seem to have any issues from them.
  • KarenRB53KarenRB53 Registered Users Posts: 355
    I did read on here that someone had used Sebastian Shaper (not Shaper Plus) and they had good results. Anyone else use this hairspray?
    3b, fine textured,thin and normal to high porosity.
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    How does the Ion hairspray smell?
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    I finally found it at my Sally's the other day. I don't notice much of a scent, but I'm not one who is very sensitive to fragrances. I've used it the last two days and REALLY like it! It's been in the 90s here and I have been packing and lugging boxes in my classroom, but I can already tell that it will probably become a staple for me. Thanks for suggesting it, hippiechick!

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I'm jumping on this bandwagon.
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Registered Users Posts: 413 Curl Neophyte
    My mother in law gave me some Ojon products, so I have this restorative hair treatment spray, its a leave in finishing treatment that performs like a hairspray! It.is.the.ish! Smells kinda like chocolate, gives hold but not stiff, idk if its really restoring anything but I love it! I believe most Ojon is CG, so Im guessing this isnt too bad. It does contain alcohol n its an aerosol

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • wurlacurlswurlacurls Registered Users Posts: 413 Curl Neophyte
    Dammit! Just read the ingredients again...it has dimethicone near the end! How did I miss that?

Sent from my PG06100 using CurlTalk App
  • lily2521lily2521 Registered Users Posts: 33
    I went to Sally's yesterday to look at the alcohol free spray by Ion and I saw that it had PEG-12 Dimethicone in the list of ingredients - is this a silicone? I thought no silicones? Sorry if I'm wrong here, still trying to figure it all out, but I need to find a hairspray!
    New to CG!
    2b, some 2c. Normal Porosity. Poor Elasticity. Medium texture.
    CO-Wash: SN Coconut
    Occasional Low-Poo as needed
    RO: GFTN
    LI: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Stylers: Le Bella, experimenting with curl enhancers
    Protein:ION Repair Solutions
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    PEG-12 dimethicone is a silicone, but it is water soluble and OK for CG. If a cone has a PEG or PPG in the name that means it is water soluble and CG approved. Occasionally people with fine hair find the PEG cones still weigh them down.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • lily2521lily2521 Registered Users Posts: 33
    pedaheh wrote: »
    PEG-12 dimethicone is a silicone, but it is water soluble and OK for CG. If a cone has a PEG or PPG in the name that means it is water soluble and CG approved. Occasionally people with fine hair find the PEG cones still weigh them down.

Thank you :)
    New to CG!
    2b, some 2c. Normal Porosity. Poor Elasticity. Medium texture.
    CO-Wash: SN Coconut
    Occasional Low-Poo as needed
    RO: GFTN
    LI: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Stylers: Le Bella, experimenting with curl enhancers
    Protein:ION Repair Solutions
  • lazy_wavylazy_wavy Registered Users Posts: 36
    I use Giovanni's LA Hold hair Spritz sometimes, and I like it. I had been using it for days when I wore my hair straight, but I used it yesterday because my waves were drooping and threatening to go straight right after I scrunched them in. I applied it to all of my hair by spraying it into sections of my hair and re-scrunching, and yesterday turned out to be the best hair day I've had in a while! I may have to use it more often on wavy hair.

The Giovanni has a little crunch, but it scrunched out pretty easily. I like that it gives such good hold with such a light feeling. And it has a nice herbal scent. It has "alcohol denatured" in it, but it's cone-free.
    2c using mod-CG
    Thick & coarse, weak wave pattern, protein-sensitive
    Shampoo: Avalon Organics Olive
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative Conditioner; AOHR
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner
    Wavy styling: KCCC or GF Pure Clean Gel
    Straight styling: Kiehl's Silk Groom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file