'Coned my husband's hair

IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
Gals, I bought my husband some new conditioner for his gray hair that has a UV absorber to keep it from going yellow in the sun. For when he's not wearing his hat...
It is AG brand Amazon.com: AG Sterling Silver Toning Conditioner 33.8 0z.: Health & Personal Care
When I got it I found it has dimethicone, so I probably won't be using it, although it's good for blondes.

He used it last night and I must say, Wow. This made his wavy/kinky/curly hair super soft and shiny and sleek, even the super-frizzy bits. But not heavy and straight.
I know lots of us are afraid of cones (not I), but for some hair types they really are the bee's knees. They do need washing off, and different cones are heavier than others (dimethicone is thicker than winter oil for your car whereas some of the other cones are more like water).
Just bringing up the "cones are not all bad" thing again.
He's liked Pantene conditioner in the past and looking at pictures, I can see how much that built up and flattened his poor hair.
So maybe the occasional dose of cones (but not daily) is a way to go, especially if you wash often.

Just like to reinforce to myself and all of us that cones serve their purpose. All things in moderation!

Except FSG. Can't seem to use too much of that.

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Oh, GASP, IAgirl! 'Cones?!?!?! How could you? Only joking, that is so AWESOME that they worked so well on your husband's hair! I personally try to avoid 'cones, just because I don't feel like dealing with them and don't think they do anything better for my hair, ;) but I'm ALL for the do what works best mentality! All things are good in moderation -- even 'cones! That's great that something worked so well! Congrats!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    I know, I'd better be careful, I could be accused of spousal abuse.
    I've been reading some cosmetics chemistry lately and finding out that "cationic surfactants" which are usually ingredient #2 or 2,3,4 in conditioners bond to the hair and are extremely difficult to remove, even with shampoo. In fact, use of anionic surfactants (shampoo - unless it's coco betaine or a nonionic like decyl glucoside) combined with use of conditioners actually builds up even more than one or the other.
    So... how is that different than silicones?

If certain silicones aren't too heavy, then I don't see much difference. They add shine rather than adding dullness. I think the dimethicone that I love in winter hand cream builds up waaay too much no matter what you do to it short of sandblasting, but a lot of the others wash off or are water soluble and so what's not to love?
    All the talk about silicones "suffocating hair" is just that - talk. Unless you buy a jug of silicone oil and coat your hair with it. Or if you never wash your hair, but many of us do.

Okay, getting a little up on the soapbox. I'm always questioning myself.
  • DEL2CDEL2C Registered Users Posts: 6,418 Curl Neophyte
    IAgirl I couldn't agree more except with the FSG thing :laughing7: my hair gets OC'd and limp when I use FSG too often. Silicones in moderation is my motto, I love condtioners with Amodimethicone when the weather gets rainy and humid. It controls my hair, adds shine and keeps frizz and poof from rearing it's ugly head. I've been using Redken All soft which I used to use in my Pre-CG days and I love it! If I use silicones in the colder weather they seem to make my hair straight so I just avoid them at that time.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    DEL2C wrote: »
    IAgirl I couldn't agree more except with the FSG thing :laughing7: my hair gets OC'd and limp when I use FSG too often.
    Really?? I could pour a whole bottle of it, enhanced with coconut oil, on my head, and my hair soaks it up like water! It can't seem to get enough of it, and when I don't use it, it never comes out as good.

I, also, still use the A-cone. That, or the water soluble ones. But I try to limit them to my styling products only. My favorite mousse has it, and although I don't use it very often anymore, I still use it!
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    My hair seems to work a lot better now that I got the no-sulfates, no-silicones system down, so I just avoid the 'cones like an alcoholic because I don't want to wash with the regular shampoo.

But about build-up in general, nah, I don't worry about it, hair seems to work better with stuff in/on it, I don't need it THAT clean, and whatever build-up is happening with the non silicone stuff isn't causing any problems.

And I do like silicones in body lotions, not too heavy but the body shop "milk" thin lotions, though they claim to be made with organic this-or-that-oil, really have cyclomethicone higher up in the list than any oil and they feel good, good on me so I do like 'em for that.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    I think the avoid all cones at all costs is advice that doesn't necessarily apply to wavies. Most of us use low poos, so some cones won't kill us. I think it is good for newbies to avoid cones until they get a handle on their hair. When your trying to figure out what is causing your current issue, you don't need one more potential cause.
    However, the only non water soluble cone I use is in my heat protectant that I don't use very often anyway. I should look for gel or something with an a-cone for when dews are over 70. My hair looses it's mind with dews over 70.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    My hair goes 100% crazy in dews over 70 too. Curls all over the place. It tries to stand straight out. I like it!
    Cyclomethicone evaporates a lot, that's kind of the "theory" of that one - it helps products spread and then is supposed to go away. Not sure it works in practice, though. It's no good in hand lotion IMO, it seems to just disappear...
    I like A-cone and don't care much either way about the PEG-12 dimethicone, but the new ones that are bonded to meadowfoam oil or proteins are intriguing (and water soluble) because they bond to both damaged and undamaged parts of hair.
    Nothing makes my hair feel quite as silky and shiny as FSG, though. Un-patent-able though it may be.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    My hair seems to work a lot better now that I got the no-sulfates, no-silicones system down, so I just avoid the 'cones like an alcoholic because I don't want to wash with the regular shampoo.

But about build-up in general, nah, I don't worry about it, hair seems to work better with stuff in/on it, I don't need it THAT clean, and whatever build-up is happening with the non silicone stuff isn't causing any problems.

And I do like silicones in body lotions, not too heavy but the body shop "milk" thin lotions, though they claim to be made with organic this-or-that-oil, really have cyclomethicone higher up in the list than any oil and they feel good, good on me so I do like 'em for that.

I need to revise this as I just noticed that the Curl Junkie CCCCLite has a Peg-8 Dimethicone far down the list of ingredients, and I use this product occasionally with no bad effects at all.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file