CurlTalk

Recommendations for a cg-friendly mousse w/strong hold, but not volumizing

I have a mix between 2b and 3a wavy/curlies, and am looking for a mousse (updated: or gel) with strong hold even if I have to scrunch out the crunch! I'm specifically looking for one that isn't intended to volumize. I have enough volume as it is - although the strands are relatively thin, I have A LOT of them!

If you have any recommendations, I'm all ears!:) Anything from store brand to labels...

Comments

• rj16rj16 Posts: 186Registered Users
    May I ask why you want a mousse, precisely? I have always associated them with volume, gel with hold, but I may be wrong!
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    rj16 wrote: »
    May I ask why you want a mousse, precisely? I have always associated them with volume, gel with hold, but I may be wrong!

I suppose it's because I'm most comfortable with applying mousse, but your hair looks great! Do you use a gel that you can recommend?

Thanks!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I tend to agree with RJ -- you might be better off with a gel instead of a mousse. Maybe you're worried it will weigh your hair down? If you're really intent on getting a mousse, my favorite is Aussie Aussome Volume mousse. It has a nice strong hold, and although it has "volume" in the name, it doesn't make my hair any bigger than any other mousse. I love the scent, hold, and control it gives me, especially for a mousse. HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Posts: 373Registered Users
    I hereby request gel recommendations, too. You guys have me thinking that I might have been doing it wrong all of these years...

I want volume reduction, or at least not an increase!
  • rj16rj16 Posts: 186Registered Users
    DCWavyLady wrote: »
    rj16 wrote: »

I suppose it's because I'm most comfortable with applying mousse, but your hair looks great! Do you use a gel that you can recommend?

Thanks!

Thank you! :) The gels I use and like are herbal essence body envy and set me up and Aussie instant freeze. I get about the same results with all three. Then again, volume reduction isn't something I strike for, au contraire! Lol!

I used to swear by mousse but now that I know to SOTC, gels are my friends. HTH