Frustrated Newbie

tstawitztstawitz Posts: 13Registered Users
So I have been doing the curly girl method for about 2 weeks now, and my hair looks worse than it ever has before. It can't seem to get enough moisture, I have tried 4 different types of conditioners, and they all seem to just sit on top and not seep in at all. The bottom which used to curl the most now just lays flat. and the only part that seriously curls is my front.
My hair takes hours to dry and falls apart by the time evening rolls in so no chance of second day hair.
So I am just wondering if this is normal since it is suppose to take 2-6 weeks for your hair to adjust, or wether it would just be easier to throw in the towel.
I have fine hair and assuming by how "well" my hair takes in moisture I have low porosity. Can't tell you what curl type I am since my hair won't really curl.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Getting frustrated with bad hair days.

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    It can get pretty bad in the beginning, since your scalp is adjusting and you are still figuring out how to do everything. But maybe we can help! What products and techniques are you using? How often do you co-wash?
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It can get pretty bad in the beginning, since your scalp is adjusting and you are still figuring out how to do everything. But maybe we can help! What products and techniques are you using? How often do you co-wash?

I agree with curlyjenn. We definitely need to know what prods. and techniques you are using, but bear in mind, not everyone's hair/scalp likes the cg method. There are a few principles, though, that will help regardless of whether you are cg or not.

Shampoo much less frequently, (or not at all if you are strictly cg). After conditioning for the final rinse use cool or cold water.

If you diffuse, don't use the hottest setting. If possible, let your hair air dry part of the time.

Don't rub your wet hair in a turkish towel. Dry your hair by scrunching it with paper toweling or a soft cloth or old t-shirt which won't ruffle the cuticle.

Those changes have made the biggest difference for me and I think most curlies would agree. Please don't lose heart - soon you will know if you like the cg method and if not, there are many like you on this board who will have great suggestions for you.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • QuirkyCoilsQuirkyCoils Posts: 32Registered Users
    I'm not sure what the curly girl method is...but I'm also new to this natural thing. What works for the parts of my hair that don't curl on their own, is taking a plastic wig brush (or rat tail comb) and comb out a small piece in the form of a curl. This forms the hair. Hope this helps.
  • tstawitztstawitz Posts: 13Registered Users
    I use Tresseme Naturals Nourishing for my conditioner and Tresseme Naturals Vibrantly smooth for my co-wash. I use aleo vera gel and Tresseme bouncy curls gel for my hair gel.The reason I have so many tresseme products is because I am cruelty free and it is one of the only lines that does cruelty free and 'cone free at the same time. I also have alberto styling mousse. I just order Beauty Without Cruelty leave-in and wash out conditioner, which I home works better. I am hoping to figure out what caused my build up.

I use an old t-shirt for scrunching out water and another one for plunking or plopping.

Today I did a baking soda cleanse, since I thought the reason for my hair was build up, my hair is much softer now and supper moisturized, but it lost all of its curl :sad9:.
    Maybe the honey from my deep treatment never came out of maybe I missed an ingredient in one of the products that I use.
    I forgot to do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after since I thought you do one and not the other which might explain my lack of curls :(

Also I wash with warm/coldish water and rinse with cold.
    I guess my hair just needs some more time and a cleanse every once in a while.
    I co-wash once or maybe twice a week. And I only use the diffuser if I have to go somewhere right away mostly I air dry my hair. I guess that is why I am so frustrated, I feel like I am doing everything I am suppose to, but my hair isn't playing along. But I am sure it will get better as soon as I do an Apple cider rinse and start my program again leaving out deep treatments for now and seeing what is causing build up. And seeing what will happen once my new products come in.

Thanks for all the answers and sorry it's so long!
  • shoebootieshoebootie Posts: 2Registered Users
    tstawitz wrote: »
    I use Tresseme Naturals Nourishing for my conditioner and Tresseme Naturals Vibrantly smooth for my co-wash. I use aleo vera gel and Tresseme bouncy curls gel for my hair gel.The reason I have so many tresseme products is because I am cruelty free and it is one of the only lines that does cruelty free and 'cone free at the same time.
    Maybe the honey from my deep treatment never came out of maybe I missed an ingredient in one of the products that I use.

Tresseme didn't work that well for my hair either. You won't always find the right products for your hair right off the bat, so if this doesn't work out, try out something different.

Since you mentioned you are cruelty free, you could look into Burt's Bees, or I think most of the DevaCurl products are cruelty free. For another list of cruelty-free hair care products you can check out this site I found: Cruelty Free Hair Care Products : LeapingBunny.org

Double check your ingredients, make sure to wash that honey all out of your hair and just keep trying! If it doesn't work out, maybe you are better as a low-poo instead of a no-poo regimen. Good luck!
    :love1:Nadine :love1:
    CG & curl-lovin' since May 2011
    2B wavy curls (3b before straightening)

http://twitter.com/shoebootie
    http://nightcaffeine.blogspot.com
    DevaCurl Heaven in Hair Deep Conditioner
    DevaCurl AnGel
  • wavymelwavymel Posts: 34Registered Users
    I loved Giovanni line. I had the tea tree oil one trying to fight flakes and itch but it didn't really help much. Only thing working is Neutrogena TGel so hoping I can find something similar with out SLS. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Giovanni direct leave in. I wan to try the 50/50 conditioner. The tea tree oil can be a little drying but it still moistened better than Suave was at first. Now Suave is doing a good job since my oils have balanced more.

Giovanni is also cruelty free from what I understand many vegans use it so I'm pretty sure it is.
    2b/2c newbie CG
    routine(loosely as I learn what works):
    cowash: Suave Naturals Pomegranate
    lowpoo: Jason tea tree oil(once a week as needed)
    RO: Giovanni TTTT(will use the Suave 2nd time if the tea tree gets drying)
    :love4: Giovanni leave in & coconut oil

Finally found what stops the itch and flaking, Neutrogena TGel, too bad its not SLS free :sad10:

• theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    Any time you use baking soda you should always rinse with acv.

A deep treatment should be done at least once a week. When i miss a week or two, its really noticable!

it can take a while to get your hair use to this new routine. But it also may take a while to find the best products. If your hair doesn't seem to be responding well to what you are using you may have to switch up. you can try samples or swapping on the swap boards. also you can make you own products, that way you can control what goes in and can really pin point what your hair likes and doesnt like.

HTH
  • tstawitztstawitz Posts: 13Registered Users
    Thank you everyone for the advice.
    It is getting a little better, but I am still having trouble forming a curl in some places. My front is still curly, but my hair is still super dry and no amount of DT seems to help that problem.
    I now us Down Under Naturals conditioner in the red bottle and L'oreals eversleek conditoner I find DUNC is not creamy enough, but L'oreals is to creamy so I use them together, but they just seem to sit on top and not do anything. My hair feels slippery and then I wash it out and it's a dry mess. Then I use my leave in which is Beauty without cruelty and it seems to work really well and makes my hair feel really smooth and then I use curl activator gel and top is of with a dime sized blob of strong hold gel.
    After all that my front curl/waves and my sides are curly at the bottom and straight at the top, and my back is just a mess that has like 2 or 3 curly clumps and straight at the top and bottom so the clumps seem to break apart durning the day and my back becomes just straight.
    I have tried paying special attention to the back,and the tops and curling them by twisting them and it just wont work it just wont stick.
    Thanks for any help.
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    tstawitz wrote: »
    I use Tresseme Naturals Nourishing for my conditioner and Tresseme Naturals Vibrantly smooth for my co-wash. I use aleo vera gel and Tresseme bouncy curls gel for my hair gel.The reason I have so many tresseme products is because I am cruelty free and it is one of the only lines that does cruelty free and 'cone free at the same time. I also have alberto styling mousse. I just order Beauty Without Cruelty leave-in and wash out conditioner, which I home works better. I am hoping to figure out what caused my build up.

I use an old t-shirt for scrunching out water and another one for plunking or plopping.

Today I did a baking soda cleanse, since I thought the reason for my hair was build up, my hair is much softer now and supper moisturized, but it lost all of its curl :sad9:.
    I forgot to do an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse after since I thought you do one and not the other which might explain my lack of curls :(

Also I wash with warm/coldish water and rinse with cold.
    I guess my hair just needs some more time and a cleanse every once in a while.
    I co-wash once or maybe twice a week. And I only use the diffuser if I have to go somewhere right away mostly I air dry my hair. I guess that is why I am so frustrated, I feel like I am doing everything I am suppose to, but my hair isn't playing along. But I am sure it will get better as soon as I do an Apple cider rinse and start my program again leaving out deep treatments for now and seeing what is causing build up. And seeing what will happen once my new products come in.

Thanks for all the answers and sorry it's so long!

A lot of the Tresemme products have isopropanol in them, so you might want to try something different! I highly recommend the Burt's Bees and Kiss My Face products!
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file