Make-up for acne prone skin

DrawingwithwordsDrawingwithwords Posts: 106Registered Users
Does anyone have any recommendations for make-up for acne prone skin. I started using the Acne severe kit but until it clears up I'd like to use a foundation until it goes away. Any recommendations for something that will work?
Me to stylist: "Please don't Doodle all over my head, I like my curls just the way they are, thank you." :afro:

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, I have acne prone skin as well and it's on the sensitive side.

All of these are mineral makeups that have given me excellent coverage, have no reactions with my skin whatsoever, and don't feel heavy or cakey on my skin which I cannot stand. I mainly use the first one but I do own the other 2 and use them in my rotation when I feel like it.

I use Bare Minerals Matte (don't get the regular..get the matte because it doesn't contain bismuth oxychloride that breaks a lot of people out)

(www.sephora.com, www.qvc.com)

I also like Everyday Minerals (www.everydayminerals.com)

And Meow Cosmetics (mineral makeup line) is a great line that is formulated for people that couldn't use other makeups with fillers and other junk that breaks people out.

(www.meowcosmetics.com)

Hope that helps you out.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • DrawingwithwordsDrawingwithwords Posts: 106Registered Users
    Thank you! I guess you can't get these in any stores though can you? How can you get your skin tone right if you'r ordering on-line?
    Me to stylist: "Please don't Doodle all over my head, I like my curls just the way they are, thank you." :afro:
  • A. LoveA. Love Posts: 519Registered Users
    Bare Minerals has it's own store, and it's also sold in Sephora and Ulta.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Last relaxer: 1st week of July 2009
    BC: Aug 29, 2010
    2nd BC: June 20, 2011

Shampoos: SM MR, SM ABS, Ion Color Defense Clarifying
    Detangle: V05 or Suave Naturals
    RO: Tigi MM,
    Treatments: CJCR, SM Scalp Elixir
    LI: any LI+oil+aloe juice
    Moisturizers: QBAOHC, SMCES, SMH&SMM
    Sealants: oils, OHBSP, JCN&S
    Gels: Eco Styler Olive Oil, Eco Styler Pink, KCCC
    Other: SM Scalp Elixir, Curls Control Paste

My Twitter
    KinksOfNature.com
    Thank you! I guess you can't get these in any stores though can you? How can you get your skin tone right if you'r ordering on-line?

With Bare Minerals you can go into Sephora, Ulta, or a Bare Escentuals boutique in a mall. So there will be people there that can help you match or you can just ask to sample the stuff and see which one you prefer.

Everyday Minerals and Meow Cosmetics are 2 online companies BUT on both websites they tell you exactly what each color is and show you pictures of the actual foundation. They also tell you the finishes they offer. Plus with both companies you can get samples for low prices of several different foundations to see if they work for you. Also with Meow Cosmetics if you email them a picture.. they will recommend a few colors you might want to try and often they can tell you exactly what foundation to get if you send them a good enough pic without any makeup on and explain your skin issues to them.

My experience was extremely easy with Everyday Minerals.. I went to the website looked for colors close to my skin complexion and ordered a few samples. I was able to get my color right on the first try. It was harder for me with Meow Cosmetics. They have TONS of colors to match with many undertones and skin complexions. So it took me a while and I do have to admit it was annoying. But the staff was helpful once I emailed them a picture. Their staff is just very pleasant to work with in general. I finally found a couple that work but I still love the Bare Minerals Matte on me the best. So it's my MAIN foundation though I do still use Meow and Everyday Minerals.

Having said that, I personally think Meow Cosmetics is better for people have maybe a hard complexion to match and or have very sensitive skin. The reason I still prefer Bare Minerals though is because they have a color that matches my skin EXACTLY to a tee undertone and all and their matte foundation isn't so dry on me that it looks odd.

Besides that Bare Minerals is a very established company that is regularly coming up with great products. Not to say the other companies aren't but I think Bare Minerals is on another level. And you aren't forced to buy it over the net if you don't want. Given, I think buying it on the net with Bare Minerals gets you the better price and that's where I get my Bare Minerals (I use QVC.com and eBay only people with 100% rating that are selling brand new Bare Minerals and not samples or used products). But it's great that if I run out and need something really bad.. I can just run to Ulta, Sephora, or the local mall.

You can even go to www.Sephora.com or www.qvc.com and see very clear pictures of women wearing all the Bare Minerals foundations and pick one that way. It's one of the ways I got my summer foundation when I tan. It's nice to see actual women of different ethnic backgrounds, skin tones, and skin undertones to identify which might work for you the best. It was really easy. I did it right on the Sephora website.
  • DrawingwithwordsDrawingwithwords Posts: 106Registered Users
    So Marah, you wear BM matte liquid foundation and it doesn't bother you or pressed powder? Thank you for all of your help, by the way.
    So Marah, you wear BM matte liquid foundation and it doesn't bother you or pressed powder? Thank you for all of your help, by the way.

First of all you are very welcome for the help. I will always try to help if I can. :)

No. There is no such thing as Bare Minerals "liquid" foundation. It's all crushed minerals. It looks like a powder but it's not pressed. Think of a smooth loose eyeshadow. That's what it's like.

And no Bare Minerals MATTE doesn't bother me. The Bare Minerals original formulation bothered me though because it contained an ingredient called bismuth oxychloride that can cause cystic acne for some people with acne prone skin. I caused me terrible breakouts so I had to stop using it years ago.

So the Bare Minerals line makes a MATTE foundation that doesn't have that ingredient (bismuth oxychloride) in it and a lot of us that couldn't use the original formulation can use this with no issues. They call it "matte" because the finish on it isn't luminous or shiny like the original formulation, it's just that... matte without making me look dead or extra dry. And it's great for me. I don't have any reaction to it whatsoever. And the coverage for me is flawless. I really can't bring myself to go with any other foundation for too long.

I also use the Mineral Veil (it's a finishing powder by Bare Minerals) over it. And it works great. They offer different kinds: the regular, the hydrating, the tinted so you have options.

I can't use to many liquid foundations for to long.. I always had problems with breakouts with them. That's one of the reasons I switched to mineral makeup about 13 years ago.
  • tterrelltterrell Posts: 70Registered Users
    I had moderate acne and have had great success with bare minerals and jane iredale. You can get jane iredale on the ground from a salon/spa. I noticed a huge difference in the amount of breakouts I had when I began cleaning my brushes and pillowcases every other day and clean my brushes daily with alcohol before use. Not sure if ure already doing that but if u have active breakouts that bacteria is transferred to your brushes and pillows and can cause new breakouts.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • tterrelltterrell Posts: 70Registered Users
    Oh and I can NEVER find a color that is a perfect match so I mix two colors and then it blends beautifally with my skin tone.

Hth

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    And no Bare Minerals MATTE doesn't bother me. The Bare Minerals original formulation bothered me though because it contained an ingredient called bismuth oxychloride that can cause cystic acne for some people with acne prone skin. I caused me terrible breakouts so I had to stop using it years ago.

This or ITCHINESS! This stuff made me so itchy it was insane. The Matte formula feels so much better.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    I, too, love the bareMinerals Matte Foundation.

First, however, I use an oil-control cream with 2% salicylic acid. (I like the Neutrogena Acne Stress Control Treatment.)
    I follow that up with sunscreen. (Currently using Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizing SPF 30. Although my skin has never had a problem with this, I'm searching for something not-too-expensive, but with more natural ingredients.)

I just ordered samples from a company called LA Minerals Mineral Makeup and Cosmetics. They also don't contain bismuth oxychloride. Among my samples is an oil-control powder, which you can get untinted or in your choice of colors. So far I really like it (over the foundation), but the true test comes next week when we'll be expecting 90+ degree temps down south. They have a half-price sale on their samples right now if you buy 10, so it's worth checking out! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • karasposakarasposa Posts: 69Registered Users
    I just discovered Neutrogena SkinClearing makeup. And, so far so good. I like that it has salicylic acid in it and it's really light. I bought the powder and I put a thin layer on my face before applying my beloved MAC Studio Fix. I cant say that MAC broke me out, but it doesn't prevent breakouts or clear them up.

I loved BareMinerals and I got so many compliments on my makeup when I used it. But, I am positive that it broke me out. After reading this thread, I'm thinking about the BareMinerals Matte.
    Hair characteristics: 4a/b, thick, coarse, low porosity

poo- ACV rinse and Rhassoul clay
    cowash/leave-in- AO conditioners, KCKT, and TJ conditioners
    dc- BASK conditioners
    moisture- BASK Honey Latte
    styler- flaxseed gel
  • juanabjuanab Curl Neophyte Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am acne prone too. I discovered Cover Girl Clean product line and use the one with oil control. I use the liquid and the powder. My skin loves it. Finally found something that is not too heavy, doesn't break my skin out and I don't have to blot every hour.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file