concealer for red nose?

long_n_curlylong_n_curly Posts: 300Registered Users
Lately I have been having problems with my nose being red all the time.Is
there a natural looking concealer that will cover this?
Lots of Fine easily weighed down 3A curls
PJ currently loving Devacare one c, CEHT,& Durahold but still searching for HGs
Finally grew out my bad layers!!!

Comments

• aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    Use a green corrector concealer first, then one that matches your skin tone over it

Sent from my SCH-I400 using CurlTalk App
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,729Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    don't bother with the green concealer. a yellow-toned one that matches your skin exactly is a better choice.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    rouquinne wrote: »
    don't bother with the green concealer. a yellow-toned one that matches your skin exactly is a better choice.

Unless you aren't naturally a yellow toned person.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ

RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    very few people have pink undertones to their skin. most every person can find a yellow-tone concealer to help with redness.

the green ones are a waste of money.
    My blog:

Who are you, bobbi brown? :-|
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ

RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I get red around my nose and green concealer has never worked for me. However, the Edward Bess concealer I recommend here is the best I've ever used and works very well on any red marks. Sometimes I have to touch up during the day but there are days when I don't. It's not perfect, but I think it is as close as you can get.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/112781-undereye-circles.html
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    aliquot wrote: »

She's Naturallycurly's version of it. I wouldn't be so dismissive of her advice, which is usually pretty good.

http://dev.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/author/angelalukach

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    aliquot wrote: »

She's Naturallycurly's version of it. I wouldn't be so dismissive of her advice, which is usually pretty good.

Rouquinne’s Makeup Missive/Angela Lukach | NaturallyCurly.com

It was a joke because Bobbi Brown's entire line is based upon her philosophy that 99% of people have yellow undertones. Regardless, just because I don't write articles on the internet doesn't mean I don't have good advice.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ

RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    I'm not an "expert", so I can only speak from personal experience, and that of people I know. I am one of those people who doesn't have a yellow undertone - we do exist, honestly! :toothy6:

Also, I have rosacea*, so I'm pretty familiar with the covering-redness thing. I have to politely (partially) disagree with our resident expert. I have tried many different green concealers and, while some of them ARE useless, I have found one or two that did make a significant difference.

That said, I've found that a good, buildable-coverage mineral makeup is the best solution. I don't need extra concealer (green or otherwise) under it, and it looks much more natural. My favorite is made by Ophelia's Apothecary and is available through their etsy shop.

[*Before someone jumps on me and tells me that I probably do have a yellow undertone and the rosacea is just hiding it or making me think I don't, I should say that I haven't had it my entire life, and I have always had a pink undertone. And yes, I do know the difference. :mrgreen:]

Just my two cents. HTH!
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I also fall in the category of a pink undertone. Nothing yellow about me at all. LOL! I do have a touch of rosacea as well so that adds to it, but have always been pink too long before the rosacea flared.

There are a couple green concealers that have helped me, but there have also been some yellow ones that did too. However, yellow is a fine line for the pinkies because you can come off as too yellow and look sickly. I prefer using a concealer/foundation that is as close to my skin tone as I can get (which usually means it has some pink in it instead of yellow). It's as close to being as natural and even as I can get.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    I've yet to find a green concealer that works. I have pink undertones as well as a red nose and cheeks. I've found that yellow concealers work much better, and no, it doesn't make me look sickly or not natural.

However, I finally found a foundation that I don't need to use concealer underneath. Nvey ECO Creme Deluxe Foundation. This stuffs expensive, so I may, in the future, just use it as concealer if it doesn't last long enough to make it worth the money.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Redness Concealer is probably the best green concealer I have used. Since then, I have had better luck with Cover FX because it's a bit heavier coverage however it can get chalky/masky looking if you put too much.

As for yellow concealers, I should clarify my previous statement I suppose and say that yellow concealers are a tough one for "me" as a pinkie because if it has too much yellow (and I have had quite a few that are way too much), it causes a weird yellow cast on my very pale skin that looks sickly and unnatural. Same with foundations that have too much yellow.

I have had decent luck with Make Up For Ever because they have a foundation for the pink undertones that works pretty good. Not HG material, but it evens me out ok.
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
    Dermablend Smooth Indulgence Redness Concealer is probably the best green concealer I have used. Since then, I have had better luck with Cover FX because it's a bit heavier coverage however it can get chalky/masky looking if you put too much.

As for yellow concealers, I should clarify my previous statement I suppose and say that yellow concealers are a tough one for "me" as a pinkie because if it has too much yellow (and I have had quite a few that are way too much), it causes a weird yellow cast on my very pale skin that looks sickly and unnatural. Same with foundations that have too much yellow.

I have had decent luck with Make Up For Ever because they have a foundation for the pink undertones that works pretty good. Not HG material, but it evens me out ok.

Ditto the yellow concealer thing. I know it works great for some people (pinkies included), but not for me. I tried lots, but never could find one that didn't make me look like I had jaundice. But then I'm pink like a pig (think Babe or Wilbur from Charlotte's Web). :pig:
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
    i've had a broken capillary problem most of my life and i'm pale, pale, pale.

when i was a teenager - back in the Dark Ages - i got sold a green concealer. what wasn't washed away by foundation showed through and looked truly godawful!!!

in my early 20s, i learned that yellow also neutralizes red marks on the skin and that concealer over foundation is best for hiding problem areas. and it wasn't Bobbi Brown who taught me that, it was Frank Toskan.

for the Pink Ladies, definitely look at Make Up For Ever, also Illamasqua out of England (now available at Sephora in North America), and theatrical makeup like Ben Nye.
    My blog:

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A Sephora MUA used MUFE on my pink rosacea skin. It is nice stuff.

Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
    Love Ben Nye! Great stuff, and cheap. I have a lot of it (I used to be a makeup artist). MUFE is also awesome, although pricey. I used to live in Paris and it was a lot more affordable (although that may have changed). I'm dying to get my hands on some Illamasqua - my Londoner friend keeps enticing me. It's supposed to be fab! Unfortunately, you can order it through Sephora, but they only stock it in certain stores (and none in my area last time I checked). I like to see things like that in person.

Sadly, I've tried yellow-based concealers from all but Illamasqua. No dice. But that's okay, since I have something I'm happy with. I do agree that it's definitely worth trying one that's yellow-based, since it works for the vast majority of people.

Lowpoo:
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • DaiseeDayDaiseeDay Posts: 94Registered Users
    Well I'm someone who says go with yellow.

But if that doesn't work for you try CoverFx, their products are made to cover skin problems such as rosacia, and they have a huge color selection.
    ~ Dense, fine, low porosity ~
  • Tashimarie26Tashimarie26 Posts: 15Registered Users
    I work for Clinique and we have a really good redness solutions concealer that is yellow... a little goes a long way. the customers who experience redness really love the line which also has a foundation (not trying to sell stuff here just saying what customers have said about the products as I have not personally used them). But I will definitely say that I think yellow does an excellent job of concealing redness. I would also recommend that you stay away from products that contain oil as that can aggravate redness. Oh and wear sunscreen =) Hope you find what you need =)
    I LOVE CURLY HEADS!!
    My Fav Products...
    <3 Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose
    <3 Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    <3 Quidad Comb (AMAZING)
    <3 Pure Cocoa Butter (hair and body mmmhmmm)

Check me out! http://natashamariearnold.blogspot.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file