Coloring at home???

cakesnjammomcakesnjammom Posts: 47Registered Users
I want to color my hair at home for the 1st time ever. It is medium brown~mousy brown color. I need gray coverage. I am looking to lighten, brighten and cover grays. I have very fair skin and prefer cool colors because I have a lot of red in my skin. What is your favorite at home color brand & color suggestions are appreciated :) TIA
3B w/ some 3C
Normal porosity, medium texture, dense, high elasticity
Co-wash Suave Naturals Coconut
Deva Curl One Condition (DCOC)
Leave in DCOC
LA Looks Sport Gel #10
Homemade Version of DC Set It Free

Comments

• slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    That's tough. You really need someone who is very experienced with hair color to respond. Have you been to Makeupalley - Street Smart Beauty - Homepage and ever posted on their hair boards? I would suggest you post your question and pic there and you will get some very good, detailed suggestions. Good luck!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • heatherlouheatherlou Posts: 5Registered Users
    In my experience, if you don't want to go lighter, a Demi is your best bet. I like Ion color brilliance Demi, available at Sally's beauty supply. You just have to mix it with 10 volume developer. One word of caution, these shades run several levels dark. I use 7NA, medium ash blonde and I get a nice rich medium brown. You would probably want to look for a level 8 neutral or ash.
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    heatherlou wrote: »
    In my experience, if you don't want to go lighter, a Demi is your best bet. I like Ion color brilliance Demi, available at Sally's beauty supply. You just have to mix it with 10 volume developer. One word of caution, these shades run several levels dark. I use 7NA, medium ash blonde and I get a nice rich medium brown. You would probably want to look for a level 8 neutral or ash.
    Yep! My cousin used 7 and got medium to dark brown. As with most haircolors, it is best to choose a color 2-3 shades lighter than you really want. It's easier to go darker after if needed vs trying to lighten back up.
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,213Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CurliLocks wrote: »
    heatherlou wrote: »
    Yep! My cousin used 7 and got medium to dark brown. As with most haircolors, it is best to choose a color 2-3 shades lighter than you really want. It's easier to go darker after if needed vs trying to lighten back up.

I very strongly agree with this. Definitely try a lighter shade than you think, at first. I got the shoe polish effect when I first tried hair color - it came out way darker than I expected and was all one color - no highlights. It took me some experimenting to find what I finally ended up with. If you can afford it, I suggest going to a salon when you color for the first time. You will pick up important tips from watching it done and the colorist may help you choose a color. Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file