New member needing help

naturallyfoundluvnaturallyfoundluv Posts: 2Registered Users
I am new member to the naturally curly world. I made the big chop oct. 2009. I'm learning everyday yet I feel so lost. I'm not sure what type I am, 4a? 3c? The front part of my hair is straight. The back is curly. The tips are straight even after keeping it trimmed. I had my hair analysis (results stating: high porosity, high elasticity with the cortex of hair strand normal). What does this mean? I'm not the best when it comes to styling. Plus, I'm not sure what to do with all this information and/or different hair type. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Comments

• GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    A picture paints a thousands words, so if you can upload one, that would be helpful.

There are a few questions that I have:

1. Before the BC, did you have a relaxer in your hair?
    2. What products are you using currently?
    3. How do you handle your hair?
    4. How often do you cleanse your hair and how?

Concerning the hair analysis, it sounds like you will need products that will keep your hair moisturized.

When you're new, it takes a while to digest all the information you need to maintain your hair. Don't rush it, just take your time and go step by step. Others will assist you as well.
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • naturallyfoundluvnaturallyfoundluv Posts: 2Registered Users
    Will upload a picture as soon as a figure out how. To answer your questions
    1. I did have a perm in my hair for many years however before my BC I went without for a year

2. I'm not a "natural" stylist so in the beginning I would get my hair comb twisted. However b/c of my issues the style would last 2 days. Not knowing what to do I ended up with very dry hair. I tried miss jessie's products and kinky curls (had the same results). I tried leaving conditioner in my hair when I didn't know what to do (usually right before my next appointment) with the same results VERY dry hair. Not knowing what to do I would go get it blow dry out.
    Since I'm trying to save money and my hair, I no longer blow dry my hair. I'm learning to do my own natural hair. Usual hair styles: two strand twist, straw set, or a help me fro. I'm using a variety of products. I can open up a mini supply shop with all the products.
    Since my first post, I have tried aloe Vera, olive oil, Shea butter, coconut oil, Shea moisture products, cantu products, aphogee keratin green tea, and protein treatment as well as miss jessie's products.

Within the last month and 1/2, I'm trying to develop a hair regimen, using some other products:
    Pre-poo (once so far)
    Deep conditioning w/heating cap (weekly)
    Sulfate free shampoo (miss jessie's and no poo).
    Co-shampoo (once)
    Henna (once last week)
    Indian clay mask (once last tuesday)
    However I'm still not to sure if I'm doing the right thing.

3. As far as how often a wash, usually I would wash once a week with miss jessie's. Yet there were days I would wash more during the week due to 2nd day hair or just b/c the hair style just didnt look right (too dry, felt to oily, straight in the front). I'm learning to curb the need to "fix my look".

I do play (feeling and twirling it) in my hair a lot trying to learn my hair AND I'm learning to be more gentle with it as well.

A few things I'm sure about it TIME And needed a balance of moisture and protein.

? How do I know if/or which one a need more of?
    ? And how do I maintain this balance?
    Thanks for all your help
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file