Starting over, need suggestions

dcm91dcm91 Posts: 9Registered Users
I posted here about 2 months ago about having trouble getting buildup off of my scalp co-washing. Eventually I just had to give up co-washing and start using a sulfate free shampoo. I picked Giovanni Tea Tree, since it seems to be the most recommended one around the internet, but it dries out my hair. While washing my hair and afterwards I can hardly even touch it because it feels like it's being pulled out from the gentlest touch, and there are always huge amounts of hair in the bottom of the shower (i'm scared maybe it's making it fall out or something). So I want to try a whole new routine. Since co-washing just wasn't cutting it i'd like to try a different shampoo, and some kind of conditioner and leave in treatment for the dryness, I just have no idea where to start.
TIA!

Comments

• PanilPanil Posts: 8Registered Users
    Tea tree oil works well for me when I have pimples- but it was making my hair fall out, too. Best avoided for some people I guess.

I haven't found a shampoo yet that I want but I am going to buy it from curlymart (this website).. I've been CG for only 2 weeks and my hair isn't greasy yet- but I should prob buy a shampoo.

As far as conditioner for both the co wash and as leave in I use Sauve naturals and since it's so light weight it doesn't wear down my curls :) It's cheap, too! And less is more.
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    Some ideas: Organix shampoos (I have the coconut milk one) are sulfate free.
    Shae Moisture (I have the coconut hibisucus, yes, I love coconut!)
    CJ has a low -poo (Havne't tried it, but alot of people around here love it)

Also, you could try coating the length with condish first, and just low-pooing the scalp, this should minimize dryness and damage.
  • krm4hkrm4h Posts: 54Registered Users
    I bought a sulfate-free shampoo yesterday at Target -- it's got a blue label on it, by Curls. Haven't tried it yet but I'll let you know!

Curls Creamy Curl Cleanser - 8 fl. oz. : Target
  • MaggabMaggab Posts: 25Registered Users
    When I wash my hair, I use Jessicurl's Hair Cleansing Cream. It's lightweight, doesn't strip my hair when I wash it, and VERY moisturizing. And for an "alternate" to shampoo, it lathers up quite a bit. No sulfates, parabens, or anything like that. It's good stuff.
    3b hair, medium porosity, normal-coarse thickness

Lo-poo: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-wash: Whole Foods 365 Daily Value Lavender
    RO: Avalon Organics Strengthening Peppermint or Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle (on the days I lo-poo); Avalon Organics Nourishing Lavender (on the days when I co-wash)
    LI: MOP Leave-In
    Sealant: JCOB
    Stylers: CJ AFL, CJ CIAB
    Finishers: DCSIF
    DT/PT: JCWDT, CJCF
  • beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    If your hair is breaking that easily and feels fragile, you could try a protein-containing low-poo. One of the low-poos I use is Silk Elements Color Care Shampoo, I get it at Sally's. If you think you might need a full-on protein treatment, I love the Ion Reconstructor, also at Sally's. I would post links to the products directly but the website is apparently down right now :(

You could also try the Giovanni 50:50 shampoo - it is supposed to be moisturizing, but I have not tried it myself.

For everyday conditioning, I am currently loving Tresemme Naturals Smoothing (has Jojoba and Coconut oil). If you need a thicker treatment, I suggest Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner (NOT the 3 minute deep treatment, which has mineral oil in it), or the Ion Moisturizing Treatment (Sally's again, I LOVE Sally's!).

I alternate my leave-ins depending on the weather/humidity, but lately (hot and humid weather) my hair is doing well with Suave Coconut.

What were you previously using for a co-wash that did not work for you? Have you tried any of the "clarifying conditioners" out there? The ones that come to mind are Suave Daily Clarifying, V05 Kiwi Lime and V05 Vanilla Mint Tea. All cheap and relatively easy to find at Target/Walmart/CVS, etc. These have all worked very well for me although I still need a low-poo now and then.
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    I would recommend Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo, Kiss My Face Big Body, or Kinky Curly Come Clean. Hope that helps!
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file