CurlTalk

Attn: Coconut Oil Users

Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
So I had been hearing all the good things about coconut oil & I finally broke down yesterday & bought some. Since it was wash day today anyway I decided to try an overnight coconut oil treatment yesterday evening.

I get up this morning, wash, condition,detangle & style & I swear I cut hours off my regular time! It normally takes me anywhere from 4 to 5 hrs on wash day from start to finish (mind you I have a toddler so counting in many disruptions from him for the added time) however even w/his many disruptions today my total time from start to finish was 2 & a half hrs! AWESOME:D!

So yes it was my first time using this but my hair definitely felt noticeably softer & was alot easier to detangle. So my question is for those of you who use this regularly how do you use it and what have been your results as well as the time frame it took to see said results. I'm really hoping to get that natural added shine but hopefully that will come w/continued use!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!
(Transitioned for 16 & 1/2 months)

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png

Comments

• PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    I used to use it all the time but started noticing it drying my scalp. You have to be careful and find that balance because your natural oil glands won't produce if you constantly add to it artificially with other oils.

Otherwise it make the hair look great and I got compliments on how shiny yet soft the hair was too. My understanding is your suppose to saturate the hair overnight and then shampoo out the next day.

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fapps.facebook.com%2Fprincetonbrooke" class="Popup
  • Butterfly_CurlzButterfly_Curlz Posts: 955Registered Users
    PRINCETON wrote: »
    I used to use it all the time but started noticing it drying my scalp. You have to be careful and find that balance because your natural oil glands won't produce if you constantly add to it artificially with other oils.

Otherwise it make the hair look great and I got compliments on how shiny yet soft the hair was too. My understanding is your suppose to saturate the hair overnight and then shampoo out the next day.

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
    Princeton Brooke on Facebook | Facebook

Thanks for responding. The above stated is actually how I was thinking about using the oil...probably overnight once a month & then adding it to my condish every week then sitting under the dryer for a deep treatment & rinsing. I currently add grapeseed oil to my condish but I figured if I REALLY wanted to deep treat I should probably use an oil that actually penetrates the hair shaft...but I guess I'll see how that goes in the coming wks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Hair Type: A head full of THICK, normal porosity curls/coils that I am TOTALLY in LUV with!

Loving:love10:: MC LI Condish, Raw shea butter, Coconut & Grapeseed Oil, SM raw shea butter shampoo,HEHH Conditioner, Braggs ACV & Egg, Mayo & EVOO PT's

event.png

event.png
  • PRINCETONPRINCETON Posts: 872Registered Users
    I try to keep the oiling vs moisturizing separate so they don't prevent each other from doing their best. I might try a separate hot oil thing once a week lol.

Princeton Brooke
    Chief Software Engineer
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fapps.facebook.com%2Fprincetonbrooke" class="Popup
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users
    I find coconut oil works best in conjunction with other products such as leave-ins and gels while styling. I also use it as a pre-poo where I leave it on my hair for about 30 minutes to an hour depending on what else I'm doing.

Coconut oil doesn't work well solo on my hair though.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • mzmillionmzmillion Posts: 874Registered Users
    I personally love CO. It makes my hair so soft and it's the only oil that feels good on my hair soaking wet with a good creamy leave in like HE LTR. I've never pre poo'd with it. I don't really prepoo though.

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
    4a/b hair that fro's more than curls!
    Co-Wash: Tressemme', HE, Avon
    Leave In: SM Shea Butter Conditioner. SMCH Smoothie
    Deep Treat: Avon AT Masks, Henna, Amla, Avanti
    Stylers: Aloe Vera Butter, Eco Styler on dry hair, SM products
    My Fotki - 1/22
    My Twitter
    My Youtube

Thank you all for your suggestions/comments. I did have a question ab what Princeton said tho...since coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrates the hair shaft, would using it alone really be considered an 'oil treatment or moisturizing'?

I was already planning on using it once a month as an overnight prepoo, but in addition to that I was debating whether to add it to my condish each wk then sit under the dryer (which would seem the thing to do if its REALLY moisturizing) or to prepoo each wk just the DAY OF washing & sit under the dryer...I'm just a little confused ab which way to go bc if I'm truly only oiling my scalp then it makes no sense to do it every wk if I'm already doing an overnight oil treatment monthly...

All comments/suggestions are appreciated/welcome!!

event.png

event.png
    I had good results adding it to my conditioners for sure. I don't have a dryer to sit under, but a plastic cap and time worked for me. Its actually one of my additions to my "homemade deep conditioners".
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • jillian93jillian93 Posts: 107Registered Users
    So I had been hearing all the good things about coconut oil & I finally broke down yesterday & bought some. Since it was wash day today anyway I decided to try an overnight coconut oil treatment yesterday evening.

I get up this morning, wash, condition,detangle & style & I swear I cut hours off my regular time! It normally takes me anywhere from 4 to 5 hrs on wash day from start to finish (mind you I have a toddler so counting in many disruptions from him for the added time) however even w/his many disruptions today my total time from start to finish was 2 & a half hrs! AWESOME:D!

So yes it was my first time using this but my hair definitely felt noticeably softer & was alot easier to detangle. So my question is for those of you who use this regularly how do you use it and what have been your results as well as the time frame it took to see said results. I'm really hoping to get that natural added shine but hopefully that will come w/continued use!

Good to hear it worked for you! I add it to a lot of cheapie products, either that or Extra Virgin Olive Oil and find it makes them creamier.
  • jillian93jillian93 Posts: 107Registered Users
    Thank you all for your suggestions/comments. I did have a question ab what Princeton said tho...since coconut oil is one of the few oils that actually penetrates the hair shaft, would using it alone really be considered an 'oil treatment or moisturizing'?

I was already planning on using it once a month as an overnight prepoo, but in addition to that I was debating whether to add it to my condish each wk then sit under the dryer (which would seem the thing to do if its REALLY moisturizing) or to prepoo each wk just the DAY OF washing & sit under the dryer...I'm just a little confused ab which way to go bc if I'm truly only oiling my scalp then it makes no sense to do it every wk if I'm already doing an overnight oil treatment monthly...

I also have used Coconut Oil weekly as a pre-poo and it made detangling so much easier, and my hair had a gloss before adding any styling products. I just forget to do it on a regular basis but when I do I notice a major difference in tangles and detangling.
  • honeybrown1976honeybrown1976 Posts: 84Registered Users
    It works well with me, especially when I use it to seal in my moisturizer or leave-in. Also, I use it lightly and in rotation with EVOO.

Sent from my Zio using CurlTalk App
    HGs: Oyin Handmade Hair Dew; EVOO; Coconut Oil; Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment

event.png
    I had good results adding it to my conditioners for sure. I don't have a dryer to sit under, but a plastic cap and time worked for me. Its actually one of my additions to my "homemade deep conditioners".

I'm glad to hear that you had success adding it to your condish. I think I will go ahead & try that this week. I try to keep my reggie as simple as possible & not use alot of different products/oils so if I can use an oil for a daily spritz, sealing, & homemade deep treating all the better!

Thanks for the info!

event.png

event.png
    jillian93 wrote: »

I also have used Coconut Oil weekly as a pre-poo and it made detangling so much easier, and my hair had a gloss before adding any styling products. I just forget to do it on a regular basis but when I do I notice a major difference in tangles and detangling.

The major thing I noticed too was how much easier my detangling session was after doing my overnight prepoo. I am verrrrrrrrrrry careful while detangling & even w/that same caution I still cut hrs off my entire time!

How long did it take for you to get noticeable shine from use? My hair is naturally a lt to medium brown...very mousy... but I LOVE jet blk hair & I will occassionally use a blk rinse (once maybe twice a yr) bc my hair is soooo much shiner afterwards. However along w/learning to love my natural hair I really want to learn to love my natural color as well & if I could get some shine instead of that mousy color all the time I wouldn't put rinses in my hair anymore...

event.png

event.png
    I'm bumping this because I would really like to hear others experiences w/ CO. In particular how you use it to deep condition as well as whether anyone has gotten real 'shine' to their hair w/continued use.

event.png

event.png
    I honestly don't think there's any more to it than what was already mentioned.

Use it alone as a sealer.
    Add it to a conditioner with other ingredients (honey, molasses, avocado, etc)
    Its a great oil to blend with butters.
    I use it as a base to make amla oil.
    I use a little around my edges before I work out.

Its a good hair oil, but I prefer not to use it alone due to potential dryness from it. In terms of extra shine, it wont give more shine than any other oil, IMO. You may have shine when you use it, but you have to wash it out eventually...
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg

Its a good hair oil, but I prefer not to use it alone due to potential dryness from it. In terms of extra shine, it wont give more shine than any other oil, IMO. You may have shine when you use it, but you have to wash it out eventually...

Lol ok. I have heard sooo much good stuff ab CO & wanted to try it out (successfully lol) yet have been hesitant ab changing up my routine bc 1)I've been trying my hardest NOT to become a pj & 2)I have had a set routine since month 3 of my HHJ & besides a few very minor tweaks I've been doing the same thing ever since.

However the only real way to know if it will work is to continue to try it & evaluate my results. Enough said right?!

Thanks for the advice!

event.png

event.png

Lol ok. I have heard sooo much good stuff ab CO & wanted to try it out (successfully lol) yet have been hesitant ab changing up my routine bc 1)I've been trying my hardest NOT to become a pj & 2)I have had a set routine since month 3 of my HHJ & besides a few very minor tweaks I've been doing the same thing ever since.

However the only real way to know if it will work is to continue to try it & evaluate my results. Enough said right?!

Thanks for the advice!

Curious, what do you use now?
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • mesha188mesha188 Posts: 76Registered Users
    I find coconut oil works best in conjunction with other products such as leave-ins and gels while styling. I also use it as a pre-poo where I leave it on my hair for about 30 minutes to an hour depending on what else I'm doing.

Coconut oil doesn't work well solo on my hair though.

I agree! I Co wash then use coconut oil with my leave in and my eco styler gel. after i air dry my hair its so soft

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using CurlTalk App
    Curious, what do you use now?[/QUOTE]

Not sure if you mean specifically for my DT's or my entire reggie but here we go:

Sunday: Is officially wash day. I alternate every 4wks
    w1&3: Cowash w/Suave Almond&Shea Butter condish, deep condition w/Suave + grapeseed oil, then ACV rinse w/Braggs ACV

w2: Wash w/Shea Moisture moisture ret.shampoo, DT w/Shea Moisture restorative condish + grapeseed oil

w4: Wash w/Shea Moisture moisture ret.shampoo, PT+ grapeseed oil

Daily: AM Grapeseed oil & distilled water spritz
    PM Grapeseed oil & distilled water spritz expect every 3rd day when I spritz w/ distilled water, grapeseed oil & a little Suave Almond & Shea Butter condish mix (recent change made to my reggie ab 2wks ago & my hair is softer & has little to no build up by wash day).

event.png

event.png
  • KeiLaniKoilsKeiLaniKoils Posts: 439Registered Users

I use it on my scalp only because I used to have a dry, flaky problem. Finds out coconut oil is naturally anti-fungal and it was a HUGE help. If it starts to drip I just smooth it back into my hair.

Since coconut oil is a carrier oil I added a few rosemary drops for growth. Some women say it doesnt work for them but I have seen growth with in consistent use. Every 2 weeks(I wash my hair every 2 weeks), Im gonna say I see about 1/4-1/8'' of growth.

My friend/suitemate who is relaxed and is trying to get her hair back into a healthy state, started using coconut oil since I got her hooked on it. She said her hair has been softer and is showing growth :mrgreen:

I tried using coconut oil for sealing, but my hair does NOT like oil :angryfire:

Good for you though! :glasses8: Yay for coconut oil! :toothy6: :profileleft:
    Smacked with a head full of Dreamy tight Coils that refuse to have it any other way... :D
    Finally maintaining a clean, moisturized scalp!
    I'm really getting into my Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil now :love7:
    Here we embrace the disorder of hair product buying

:happy6: GROW NAPS GROW! :happy6:
    Why would I relax all the fabulousness?!
    Inspired by Keenylicious
    I swear the things that catch on in our society...
    never anything with meaning

Inspired by LeeLee
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    Curious, what do you use now?

Not sure if you mean specifically for my DT's or my entire reggie but here we go:

Sunday: Is officially wash day. I alternate every 4wks
    w1&3: Cowash w/Suave Almond&Shea Butter condish, deep condition w/Suave + grapeseed oil, then ACV rinse w/Braggs ACV

w2: Wash w/Shea Moisture moisture ret.shampoo, DT w/Shea Moisture restorative condish + grapeseed oil

w4: Wash w/Shea Moisture moisture ret.shampoo, PT+ grapeseed oil

Daily: AM Grapeseed oil & distilled water spritz
    PM Grapeseed oil & distilled water spritz expect every 3rd day when I spritz w/ distilled water, grapeseed oil & a little Suave Almond & Shea Butter condish mix (recent change made to my reggie ab 2wks ago & my hair is softer & has little to no build up by wash day).[/QUOTE]

Wow! So lovely and simple! I like trying new things so my regime is sooo much more complicated than yours! I only have a twa though, so I bet by the time my hair gets long I will be tired of all the stuff to do to it! I like my Ayurvedic powders and I'm now researching molasses. When will it all end?! LOL! :walk:
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • h2wQueenh2wQueen Posts: 551Registered Users
    I mix mine in with my shea butter. You do have to be careful if you are protein sensitve. it is my understanding that coconut oil does contain some protein. I love the stuff if my mixture it adds sheen and infuses extra moisture.
    "We Live From the Head Down and Not the Feet Up" ~Donnie
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    I :love10: coconut oil for pre-poos. It leaves my super soft (waaaay softer than after an EVOO pre-poo) and sheen-y. I also mix in a little with my leave-ins on occasion. I don't seal with it but that's only because my hair isn't a big fan of oils.
    h2wQueen wrote: »
    I mix mine in with my shea butter. You do have to be careful if you are protein sensitve. it is my understanding that coconut oil does contain some protein. I love the stuff if my mixture it adds sheen and infuses extra moisture.

Coconut oil does not contain protein.

Source: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Vegetable oil, coconut
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~
    [QUOTE=Fronomenal;1704902]I :love10: coconut oil for pre-poos. It leaves my super soft (waaaay softer than after an EVOO pre-poo) and sheen-y. I also mix in a little with my leave-ins on occasion. I don't seal with it but that's only because my hair isn't a big fan of oils.

Source: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Vegetable oil, coconut[/QUOTE]

I have switched up my reggie a tiny bit & I now use coconut oil as an overnight DT each wk before I wash (except on the weeks I do a PT). I too have noticed how much more moisturized & soft my hair is. It is also alot easier to detangle which is always a plus!

As I understand coconut oil helps prevent protein loss vs it being a protein itself...someone please correct me if I miss-stated.

event.png

event.png
  • FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users
    [QUOTE=Fronomenal;1704902]I :love10: coconut oil for pre-poos. It leaves my super soft (waaaay softer than after an EVOO pre-poo) and sheen-y. I also mix in a little with my leave-ins on occasion. I don't seal with it but that's only because my hair isn't a big fan of oils.

Source: Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Vegetable oil, coconut

I have switched up my reggie a tiny bit & I now use coconut oil as an overnight DT each wk before I wash (except on the weeks I do a PT). I too have noticed how much more moisturized & soft my hair is. It is also alot easier to detangle which is always a plus!

As I understand coconut oil helps prevent protein loss vs it being a protein itself...someone please correct me if I miss-stated.[/QUOTE]

That is correct.
    Big Chop: 12/15/08

Shampoo: As I Am Curl Clarity Shampoo
    Conditioner: As I Am Hydration Elation Intensive Conditioner &
    Tresemme Botanique Nourish and Replenish Conditioner
    Leave-In Conditioner: As I Am Leave-In Conditioner & Alba Botanica Leave-In Conditioner
    Moisturizer: As I Am DoubleButter Cream Rich Daily Moisturizer
    Oils/Butters: Coconut Oil & Castor Oil
    Gels: Eco Styler Krystal Gel

~ iHerb Discount Code: EFE310 ~