Help I can't manage my hair!

kattie_suekattie_sue Registered Users Posts: 10
Well I would like to first say that I am new to the site....and also new to my natural hair I am transitions from my perked hair to my natural hair and have been doing so since November 2010 and with that being said I have come to find out that I have really course kinky hair and its really thick and it sucks up every bit of oil,conditioner I put in it and but I can't seem to manage it. If you guys could give me some tips or some products that could help on how to soften and make my hair more manageable that would be really great!

Sent from my ADR6300 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    First off, Welcome to NC.com!

Now, what products are you using in your hair? Have you been deep conditioning? Using protective styles?
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • kattie_suekattie_sue Registered Users Posts: 10
    I have been using Africas best leave in or rinse out conditioner, just started using shea moisture shampoo and the cantu leave in conditioner
  • pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    Okay, so have you deep conditioning? Using a leave in, then sealing? And also . . have you been protective styling?
    last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
    high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
    Hey I'm new to the site as well. I was transitioning about a 2 months ago I hadn't a relaxer since Jan then I couldn't handle my hair and decided to relax in April. I always come back to the conclusion my hair should be natural. Relaxers aren't suitable for my hair type. I don't think curly hair should be relaxed. I had a hard time trying to style my hair because I was still trying to wear a straight look. My hair in one section has become very damage due to relaxing it. I went through so much trying to recover the damage. I honestly want my natural hair back. I had soft, long, healthy hair up until the end of 8th grade when my mom decided to give me a relaxer. I've been relaxed for about 7 years now. When I was transitioning, for some reason like you mentioned before, your hair soaked up a lot of moisture. I switched my hair products to natural products like Shea Moisture and Karen's Body Beautiful products which my hair loves. I think once you find your staple products and hair styles while transitioning you should be fine.
    Products I'm currently :love10::
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
    • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
    • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
    • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
      Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
      Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
      6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
      well i have been deep condition about once a week and i also us Africas pride or best(cant remember the name) herbal oil.....but i think that the deep conditioner that i am using that cantu it does not give my hair that well condition feeling,like its actually conditioning my hair, so i think i might try another conditioner that might give my hair more slip
      hippiedoll wrote: »
      Hey I'm new to the site as well. I was transitioning about a 2 months ago I hadn't a relaxer since Jan then I couldn't handle my hair and decided to relax in April. I always come back to the conclusion my hair should be natural. Relaxers aren't suitable for my hair type. I don't think curly hair should be relaxed. I had a hard time trying to style my hair because I was still trying to wear a straight look. My hair in one section has become very damage due to relaxing it. I went through so much trying to recover the damage. I honestly want my natural hair back. I had soft, long, healthy hair up until the end of 8th grade when my mom decided to give me a relaxer. I've been relaxed for about 7 years now. When I was transitioning, for some reason like you mentioned before, your hair soaked up a lot of moisture. I switched my hair products to natural products like Shea Moisture and Karen's Body Beautiful products which my hair loves. I think once you find your staple products and hair styles while transitioning you should be fine.

And that what i think i should do as well because that cantu is doing NOTHING for my hair!!....i mean LITERALLY NOTHING!...but anyway i used to use that product a while back and that i stopped using it....and now i remember why i stopped.....during your transition how you you style your hair?
    • hippiedollhippiedoll Registered Users Posts: 398
      Right now transitioning I've been doing wet buns with water-based products and adding a little bit of water to my hair to keep it even more hydrated. When I tried to transition back in Feb-March I cut bangs + a bob which I hated. I went right back to relaxing in April which was a big mistake. Now that its growing out I'm able to do twist outs again, I just make sure I put small bob pins at the ends of my hair to secure the ends. Buns in my opinion are easy to maintain just make sure you use high moisturizing products. I also just realized my hair loves Shea Moisture, Kinky-Curly Knot Today leave in, and Karen's Body Beautiful products. I hope I have a successful transition this time around. It's all about about trial and error. I'm learning not to fall into the whole product junkie hype. I know my hair likes natural products like the ones I mentioned above.
      Products I'm currently :love10::
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
      • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
      • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
      • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
        Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask :love5:
        Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
        6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !! :occasion9:
      • principessa1984principessa1984 Registered Users Posts: 129
        I really like the Aubrey Organics line- Honeysuckle Rose condish and GPB condish for protein. The CURLS line is good...teh Coconut Dream condish and I also like Neutrogena Triple Moisture. You can also add a little oil to these for some extra "ooomph". My hair eats up a lot of heavy emollients also. If you're using Africa's Best, I'd stay away from it. They have insanely questionable ingredients. A buddy of mine (on another hair board) used it for a while with good results, BUT over time her hair really suffered. She had to cut it from mid-back to bra-strap length b/c their condish had damaged her hair. Their ingredients are really bad IMO (I'm a chemist)...it's cheap for a reason.
        My signature style: the "braid n' curl"
        High porosity, normal elasticity, high density, thick strands, DRY (must moisturize/oil and DT a lot), tangles easily. Highly textured...curl softener+demi-perm color.
        Straightened length: Waist (layers)
        Textured length: (variable) full SL to BSL

Condish/Shampoo: VO5
        Pre-poo: mild protein(VO5)+castor oil+tea tree
        Steam treatments: 1-2x weekly
        Daily routine and DT: Moisturize w/ Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose+Olive oil and seal w/ Avocado oil
        That cray because u always thought I was doing great this for my hair but luckly I an not using it any more...I knew that was too good to be true

Sent from my ADR6300

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file