applying eyeshadow wet

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
i bought a nice brownish red shade from nars. some girls on makeupalley were saying it doesn't last long. i was thinking of applying it wet to see if i can make it bolder and last longer.

any tips or tricks to applying eyeshadow wet? do you use your same shadow brushes? how do you wet the brush (i.e. spray water on it, wet it under the faucet, pour a little water in your hand and dip the brush into it)? any other things to keep in mind would be appreciated!!
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I sometimes apply my mineral shadows wet. Instead of water, I use eyedrops for the "wet"...like Visine or Clear Eyes. I use my regular brushes. I use a separate mixing dish to mix up the shadow with a drop of Visine, so I don't contaminate the lid of the product.

I really like to apply the shadow dry and then apply it wet over top, as a liner. It gives an interesting yet subtle tone-on-tone look.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I sometimes apply my mineral shadows wet. Instead of water, I use eyedrops for the "wet"...like Visine or Clear Eyes. I use my regular brushes. I use a separate mixing dish to mix up the shadow with a drop of Visine, so I don't contaminate the lid of the product.

I really like to apply the shadow dry and then apply it wet over top, as a liner. It gives an interesting yet subtle tone-on-tone look.

this is great! thank you. i just ordered some samples of meow shadows. i can not find a duplicate of this one iman shade (before she revamped her line). i looked at all the major brands, nothing!! i didn't think i "needed" mineral eyeshadow because there's so many colors in the stores but i was looking on meow and found a matte shadow that sounds like what i have. i got the samples of that and a few others that sounds beautiful. i'll definitely be trying the technique you mentioned when i get them. do you use visine to minimize the chance of eye irritation?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    do you use visine to minimize the chance of eye irritation?

I think visine makes the shadow application last better than water. Besides, my sink is a long way from my makeup table, so it's just handier to use the eye drops.
  • aliquotaliquot Posts: 227Registered Users
    As above said, visine or I use a little spray bottle with water to dampen the brush. People also like to use MAC Fix+, but I've never tried.

But be careful using pressed shadows wet because not all of them are made to do that. By using it wet you might make the shadow hard and unusable. Loose mineral shadows are best for this, and baked shadows.
    3a/b in Piscataway, NJ
    Fine, low porosity, loves protein!

Cleansing - Burt's Bees or CJ
    RO - CJBSC
    LI - GDLI, CJCR
    Styling - Re:Coil and CJCQ
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah, Visine is a good medium. I apply a drop right onto pressed eyeshadow and work it into the shadow with my brush. As mentioned, that can create a crusty hard layer on your shadow. But you can scrape that off with a little spatula.

For staying power, do you prime your lids first?

For color intensity, apply a cream concealer after your primer then pat on (don't rub) the eyeshadow.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Phoenix wrote: »
    For staying power, do you prime your lids first?

yep i use a mac paint pot (groundwork) that i let dry before applying shadows and i get great results. i was really just thinking about wetting this one because some of the girls said it didn't have staying power. it's nars sophia. i'll play around with it.

good tips on the ways to up the color intensity!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file