CurlTalk

I need reassurance. Anyone had Haircut with Melissa at Devachan?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
[FONT=&quot]Has anyone had their hair cut by Melissa? I did read through the reviews but I'm still looking for reassurance. I'm ready to trying going completely cg.

Now that I have a temp job, I don't have to look corporate all the time and worry that my curls are working against me :pale:. Unfortunately, it is only for 2 mos. with no chance of permanent so I may have to straighten my hair again in 2 mos. It drives me nuts to have to conform this way.[/FONT]
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

  • anonymous_11480anonymous_11480 Posts: 47Registered Users
    When is your appointment? I'm going to get my first devacut this Tuesday and I'm also nervous. I have judy though. My sister who's also coming is getting robert. Sorry for not offering any help though lol

    Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Trying CG for the 2nd time. Been going strong since Feb 2010. Wish me luck!

    :dog::read2:
    3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
    Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
    DT - CJ Rehab
    :love2:
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me
    Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

    I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie


  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ruiz4books - this is hilarious! I'm also going Tuesday at 6:00. And I'm also "for books" - meaning I love to read - was an English major.

    Are you going to the Broome street one - What time? If we are there at the same time, maybe we can go for coffee or something afterward and reassure each other about how great we look (hope hope).

    Anyway, I wish you and your sister great good luck. We're probably not going at the same time, so be sure to report back and I will too. :hello1::flower:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • mrfhnlmrfhnl Posts: 276Registered Users
    I've seen Melissa work and she's very confident and knows what she's doing. Judy is one of their senior stylists and you should have no worries. Everyone there goes thru serious training--enjoy and have fun, you'll look great!
    3B, normal porosity, med to coarse texture
    Deva Inspired, LiveCurlyLiveFree Trained Stylist
  • anonymous_11480anonymous_11480 Posts: 47Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Ruiz4books - this is hilarious! I'm also going Tuesday at 6:00. And I'm also "for books" - meaning I love to read - was an English major.

    Are you going to the Broome street one - What time? If we are there at the same time, maybe we can go for coffee or something afterward and reassure each other about how great we look (hope hope).

    Anyway, I wish you and your sister great good luck. We're probably not going at the same time, so be sure to report back and I will too. :hello1::flower:

    Lol, I'm not an english major but I do LOVE to read. Anyways, I'm going at 1:30. I have to double check but I think that's the one I'm going to. You'll probably be coming in when I'm heading out but I was planning on making it the visit a whole day in the city (if my sister doesn't resist too much). If anything, I can give you a preview of what will hopefully be an awesome haircut or warn you about the horrors you're about to endure.

    Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Trying CG for the 2nd time. Been going strong since Feb 2010. Wish me luck!

    :dog::read2:
    3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
    Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
    DT - CJ Rehab
    :love2:
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me
    Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

    I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie


  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    mrfhnl wrote: »
    I've seen Melissa work and she's very confident and knows what she's doing. Judy is one of their senior stylists and you should have no worries. Everyone there goes thru serious training--enjoy and have fun, you'll look great!

    Mrfhnl - that you SO MUCH! I'm so glad you responded. :flower: I really have been wavering and scared. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Ruiz4books wrote: »
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Ruiz4books - this is hilarious! I'm also going Tuesday at 6:00. And I'm also "for books" - meaning I love to read - was an English major.

    Are you going to the Broome street one - What time? If we are there at the same time, maybe we can go for coffee or something afterward and reassure each other about how great we look (hope hope).

    Anyway, I wish you and your sister great good luck. We're probably not going at the same time, so be sure to report back and I will too. :hello1::flower:

    Lol, I'm not an english major but I do LOVE to read. Anyways, I'm going at 1:30. I have to double check but I think that's the one I'm going to. You'll probably be coming in when I'm heading out but I was planning on making it the visit a whole day in the city (if my sister doesn't resist too much). If anything, I can give you a preview of what will hopefully be an awesome haircut or warn you about the horrors you're about to endure.

    Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App

    Ruiz, I think we might be curl twins! I'm also slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie, and think my hair likes protein.

    Well, Tuesday will be exciting. I hope you read MRFHNL's post - apparently Melissa knows her stuff and Judy is a senior stylist so we should both do well. Crossing fingers for both of us. I'll post results as soon as I can - good luck to us both!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • kimberlyjuliakimberlyjulia Posts: 3Registered Users
    I have an appointment on Saturday with Judy and I'm really nervous. Can you let me know how yours goes?

    Good luck tomorrow!
  • anonymous_11480anonymous_11480 Posts: 47Registered Users
    I'm on my way to my appointment. =) I'll post before and after pics so everyone can see. Oh and my appointment is at the broadway location. I'm excited!!

    Sent from my Ally using CurlTalk App
    Trying CG for the 2nd time. Been going strong since Feb 2010. Wish me luck!

    :dog::read2:
    3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
    Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
    DT - CJ Rehab
    :love2:
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me
    Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

    I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie


  • CurlswirlCurlswirl Posts: 526Registered Users
    How did you all do with your Deva Cuts?
  • sadiemomsadiemom Posts: 16Registered Users
    You can't go wrong with any stylist at Devachan. They are all great with curls and very well trained


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • selfcurledgirlselfcurledgirl Posts: 516Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wondering how you liked Melissa. I went to her for several cuts and after a while she couldn't style m y hair that well anymore and I left the salon. SHe is nice and knowledgeable so perhaps it was just me. I am trying Julie next week and wonder how she is. SO how did it go.
    Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I chickened out and went to the person who cut my hair before. Then I didn't like it and cut the front of it myself! I've never done that before. It looked better than what he did which doesn't say much for his cut, but lord knows how it will grow in.

    Next time I'll try someone new. My concern with Deva cuts is that the 2 times I have been there, my hair was uneven.

    I'd love to hear from a few people who have been to Deva stylists that they like consistently.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,091Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I chickened out and went to the person who cut my hair before. Then I didn't like it and cut the front of it myself! I've never done that before. It looked better than what he did which doesn't say much for his cut, but lord knows how it will grow in.

    Next time I'll try someone new. My concern with Deva cuts is that the 2 times I have been there, my hair was uneven.

    I'd love to hear from a few people who have been to Deva stylists that they like consistently.

    a deva cut is not 'even.' they cut each curl individually, it is meant to be worn curly. if you want to sometimes wear your hair straight, i'd talk to the stylist when you make the appointment. i THINK carlos will make some accommodations so it can be worn straight.
    i've been going to carlos flores since 2006. started with him when he was at devachan, then followed him across the street to mario diab salon. i'm very happy with the way he cuts my hair. my daughter has longer hair than me, and loves his haircuts. i've sent several friends to him and they also love his cuts and have stayed with him. their hair ranges from 3c to 2c.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • selfcurledgirlselfcurledgirl Posts: 516Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    How much is Carlos over there? I saw him in 2002 for $50 at Devachan and whenhe left switched to Melissa who I became dissatisfied with.I am lookingfor someone again.
    Hair type, thin, 3b, past my shoulders always looking for length. Use jessicurl hair cleansing cream, devacurl one c, angel, set it free, Always see a deva trained stylist for cut and Aveda Institute for color.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm interested to know what Carlos charges. He has a good reputation.

    RBB, I'm committed to wearing my hair curly all the time now. My hair was very damaged when it was cut at Deva before - maybe that was part of the problem.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,091Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    at my last appointment in march, carlos was charging $135.

    you know he is at mario diab salon on crosby st. pretty much across the street and down the block from the newer devachan location. it is right next to bloomingdales.

    3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine