NEED HELP!

rnchristycrnchristyc Posts: 2Registered Users
I am new and in desperate need of advice. I have been reading for hours and so far have decided that I am a mixture of 3a and 3b curls, medium texture and high to normal porosity.
I do color my hair a bit darker than my original medium brown 2-3 times per year and have been fighting my curls for several years. I started using a flat iron 2 years ago and straighten it every day. I have shoulder length hair when straight.
I have too much going on in my life right now and am tired of fighting. I need to know what would be the best products for my hair. I have read about the no poo vs low poo and I think I would need the low poo products since my scalp is a bit oily at times (like on day2.) I thought I had decided on using a shampoo bar, but then read that they are very time consuming to get them to lather your whole head and then need an acv rinse sometimes but not always??? I'm so confused! (and that's just the shampoo part)

I need quick and easy right now. Please someone recommend a shampoo, conditioner and product for styling. I currently use Nexxus shampoo for colored hair, Redkin All Soft Heavy Creme as a leave in conditioner, and John Frieda Frizz-ease for the frizzies. I'm sure all of these products are horrible for my hair, but I'm learning :love5:.) PLEASE HELP!!!

Comments

• Al1020BlueAl1020Blue Posts: 147Registered Users
    Have you done a porosity test on your hair? Or are you assuming because you color that its highly porous?

Also, as far as products...do you want something you can get locally (local store, etc) or you looking for suggestions for items available in say...Curlmart?

A lot of curlies use ACV rinses anyway, some also use Tea rinses (I will be trying this next)...

Things that you can easily pick up: Garnier Fructis (...everywhere...), DevaCurl (Ulta), Kinky Curly (Target/Whole Foods), Aubrey Organic (Whole Foods, Vitamin Shoppe), Giovanni (Target), Yes To Carrots/Cucumbers/Tomatoes (Target, Ulta), Jane Carter Solutions (Target, Whole Foods) a lot of posters like Tressame Naturals...

Thats all I got off the top of my head...
    If at first you don't succeed you must try, try, try again...:disgust:

Current Products:

Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo & SM African Black Soap

LI Condish: Oyin HH, SM DTM, SM Y&A Milk
    DC: SM DTM, Honey & Oil Blend
    Stylers: Oyin S&D, Oyin BSP, Oyin J&B, EcoStyler (Blue), SM C&S Milk
    Oils: Tea Tree, Grapeseed, EVOO, Vatika Oil, Sweet Almond, Avocado Oil, SM RSB Elixir

We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness - A. Schweitzer
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You may be surprised about your hair's needs. When I was using sulfates, I needed to wash my hair every 36 hours (which ended up meaning every day). When I first started CG, I only needed to cowash every 4th day. Even then it wasn't dirty, there was just too much gel on it to go another day. The cycle of sulfates and cones was making my scalp oily. Now that my hair has caught up on moisture, I can wash it every other or sometimes every third day.
    I'd suggest giving cowashing a chance and using a low poo as needed. Try tresemme naturals for cowashing. I'm not a low poo expert, but Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat is one option.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • rnchristycrnchristyc Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the info! I have done the porosity test with your fingers and it seemed to be about half smooth and half bumpy. That is how I decided on medium to high porosity. As far as where to buy products, I live in a small town and there are not a lot of stores around here. Basically only Walmart and Walgreens. There is a Target about an hour away, but I usually just shop online. I have tried Tresseme and Garnier with no luck. I did manage to get my hands on some Organix acai berry shampoo and conditioner at Walgreens. It is sulfate free. If this doesn't work I will be on the hunt again....
    Oh, any advice on products?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file