Sunblock for curly hair!

Heaven88Heaven88 Posts: 148Registered Users
Hi Noodleheads! I've been looking for some kind of hair product to protect my 3c curls from the sun!!! I live in Puerto Rico and it's summer year round! Plus my hair in blonde ! Hope someone can help me! :)

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

Comments

• Heaven88Heaven88 Posts: 148Registered Users
    I guess no one knows something I can use to protect my hair from the sun beside a hat!

• coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    using products with oils/butters high in vitamin E can help. Besides wearing a hat, I :dontknow:
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There should be an effect-less spray-mist that acts as a hair sunscreen.

(Okay, if someone invents one after this post, I want royalties.)
    Lol! Thanks a lot! But I was reading that putting oils in hair and going out to the sun will make it worst! Like when you put oils to take sun and you'll burn !! Something like that!! Lol

When I go to the beach I try not to wet my hair a lot, cause the sun plus the salty water all together make my hair really dry!! And I have to be every-time I come out of the water putting deep conditioner, to stop the dryness!

• GreatcurlsGreatcurls Posts: 1,784Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried using a conditioner first? I tried it and it works better than the other method I used. The conditioner was allowed to dry in my hair, and then I placed a little sunblock on top as well before I went into the ocean. My hair was soft and undamaged.

I think combined with the salt water, my hair was even healthier! HTH
    Mod CG-Naturally Highly Porous and Dry
     *This list is not exhaustive...
    CoWash: various
    DT: various
    Leave-in: 100% Mafura butter, Shima Hair Leave-in 
    Stylers: MoroccanOil Curl Defining Cream, various
    Spritz/Sealant:not now
    *experimenting and loving it!
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Heaven88 wrote: »
    Lol! Thanks a lot! But I was reading that putting oils in hair and going out to the sun will make it worst! Like when you put oils to take sun and you'll burn !! Something like that!! Lol

Yea...I said products with oils--as in conditioners, moisturizers made with oils/butters that are high in vitamin E..not just oil on our hair...not sure whether your hair will "burn" either from putting oil in it and going out to the sun
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    You can also try mixing regular sunscreen (the higher, the better) 1Tbsp. to a cup of water and spraying it on with a spray bottle, or mix 1 part to 2 parts of your LI.
  • bluesheepbluesheep Posts: 300Registered Users
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    You can also try mixing regular sunscreen (the higher, the better) 1Tbsp. to a cup of water and spraying it on with a spray bottle, or mix 1 part to 2 parts of your LI.

Have you tried the sunscreen/H2O mix? I'm wondering if it would make my hair look funky - greasy or stringy or something. Of course, I could just try it and find out, but I'd rather ask the guinea pig (if there is one). :)
    3b/3a, medium porosity, slightly coarse, high elasticity, high density. CG 2004; mod CG since 2006. CG again since 4/1/11.

Lowpoo:
    Gudonya Salty Dawg (etsy), SM Moisture Retention
    CO: Gudonya Intense (etsy), SM Restorative, Tresemme Naturals
    LI: Gudonya IHC, SMCH Milk, Tresemme Nat, Biotera LI
    Stylers (current rotation): AVG/H20 spray, Eco Styler, EVCO, SMCH smoothie and mist, La Bella LoC, ORS Lock & Twist.
    Homemade DTs, PTs and Pre-Poos
    Love flour sack towels.
    Coconut oil = magic!
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    look for shampoo or conditioner or leave-in containing Cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride. It's often in "color protecting" products, those formulated for dyed hair or bleached hair or for specific hair colors. It's a very effective UV protectant for hair.
    bluesheep wrote: »
    swtndspcy wrote: »

Have you tried the sunscreen/H2O mix? I'm wondering if it would make my hair look funky - greasy or stringy or something. Of course, I could just try it and find out, but I'd rather ask the guinea pig (if there is one). :)
    Yeah, it works well with the sunblock for face formulations, which are less greasy. Though it does feel weird, producty feel I guess. But I only do this when I am at the beach so it gets washed out anyway.
    I recently bought some sunblock for face called "dry touch" which is supposed to feel really light, I may try with that and see if it less producty.
    IAgirl wrote: »
    look for shampoo or conditioner or leave-in containing Cinnamidopropyltrimonium chloride. It's often in "color protecting" products, those formulated for dyed hair or bleached hair or for specific hair colors. It's a very effective UV protectant for hair.
    Bows again to the ingredient queen!!!
    It feels kinda sticky

• KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Hola, Heaven!

Are there any Sally Beauty Supply stores there? Biotera Curl Creme and Biotera Styling Gel have UV filters. Maybe you can order from them?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
    Yes there's Sally's here... I have to go and check that out!

Hey I just found this scalpblock!! Lol it's a good start!

http://www.shenmin.net/shenmin_scalpblock.htm

I just bought a mousse called condition 3 - in - 1 with sun screen  hopefully it would work really good... I'll let you know how it turns out !!!

a68909b1-17a8-d361.jpg

• kandycurlskandycurls Posts: 11Registered Users
    I think wearing hats, protective styles and doing extra deep treatments would be good. I wrote a blog entry on what i'm going to be doing this summer on my blog (with pictures) at kandycurls.com

Here's the link: Summer hair care routine | KandyCurls

Twitter: @kandycurls
    FB:http://www.facebook.com/pages/KandyCurls/120915704621041
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The IC Fantasia gel jar says "sunscreen for hair" on it. I have never tired it though.
  • fonkifonki Posts: 353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Heaven88 wrote: »
    I just bought a mousse called condition 3 - in - 1 with sun screen  hopefully it would work really good... I'll let you know how it turns out !!!

a68909b1-17a8-d361.jpg

I love this mousse but unfortunately it's not CG.
    I know it's really good, what I do is to not use it everyday

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file