What triggers hot flashes....

g-stringrannyg-stringranny Posts: 2,701Registered Users
Coffee, Alcohol, and stress.

I can eliminate the coffee & alcohol, but stress is much harder. I have been listening to meditation music to relax. This helps me to sleep better.
This morning I hit a pot hole in the street and I got a hot flash. :shock:
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls

Comments

• HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    When mine started prematurely in '96 I noticed the relationship to coffee and when I stopped drinking it the flashes went away but then stress make them comeback. I very rarely drink so I can't say I noticed that one. I did read in a magazine that practicing deep breathing makes them go away, that's a little hard for me because I suffer from constant nasal congestion due to allergies (AND STRESS!!!:evil:) so recently I went back to a lower dosage of estradiol. Perhaps when I move away from my children (hopefully in the next couple of months) I won't need it anymore!
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • Lori JLori J Posts: 52Registered Users
    For me, chocolate and sugar are the worst triggers.

HTH!

:)
    Lori
    Ah yes, the sugar, and chocolate has caffeine as well. What all these things have in common is that they can alter our blood sugar levels and that's why I've had such bad hot flashes, I'm hypoglycemic! My allergies also flare up when my glucose levels dip.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

• SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Mine don't have any real triggers. They come out of nowhere. When I was taking hormones I didn't get them, but I quit the hormones when the negative study results came out, sooo... They've gotten less frequent but haven't gone away.
  • cjccjc Posts: 636Registered Users
    When I started taking tamoxifen @ 4 yrs ago, I developed terrible hot flashes, night sweats...so my obygn prescribed paxil. Its the best thing that has ever happened to me...it was a lifesaver. I dont have hot flashes any more.
    cjc
    3B very thick, curly hair and on the longer side
    Palm Beach County, Fl
    Suzen:

Those negative studies were really done on synthetic hormones, mainly "conjugated estrogens" derived from pregnant mare's urine (i.e. Pre -mar-in). Low dosages of bio-identical hormones were not included in that study and for most women can still be useful and safe. I was just taking estradiol and stopped to give myself a rest (maybe about a year) because I don't think it's totally normal to have to keep taking hormones for years on end, but a few months ago started again because I was just very annoyed with the hot flashes. I'm hoping when I move alone I won't need to take anything again.

cjc:

It's funny that you mention that because years ago I was taking Zoloft and noticed the hot flashes went away. I just did a search and saw a/d are being used more for that, interesting...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file