Please explain bronzer to me!

ShrekLoverShrekLover Curl NeophytePosts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I really really want to order the Edward Bess bronzer in Daydream, but I'm not 100% sure why anyone uses bronzer. I've seen videos of women applying it, but I still don't get what it does. However, I would like to be less pale but still look natural. The EB Daydream has great reviews and I love everything else of this I've tried, conealer, lipstick, cream blush and the new mascara (well maybe don't love the mascara, but it is just as good as anything else I've tried).

Comments

• luvmylocsluvmylocs Curl Neophyte Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i think it's to give you a sunkissed look no matter what your complexion. it's not matte, it's got a little gold. it's supposed to make you look like you just got back from a good vacation. that's my very rudimentary explanation ;)
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • *Marah**Marah* Curl Neophyte Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It gives you a nice glow.. sort of sunkissed in my opinion. They have all sorts of bronzers..some are matte, some are shimmery, some have flecks of gold dust..etc.

For a nice natural look..try a matte bronzer that's not to deep in color for your skin tone.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't get it either. I'm pasty. I shouldn't be looking sun kissed, lol. I've had people put bronzer on me, but, to me, it tends to look as if someone put fake tan on me.

However, I did get a new blush that seems to give a nice glow for me- NARS Madly. It's not too pink or too peach like so many blushes are on me, and I do like the natural look it gives me.

If you have a Sephora, SDC, they can put some blush or bronzers on you to see how they look.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Curl Neophyte Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There are a couple of Sephoras around me. I actually have a blush I really like.

One of the demos I saw on Youtube had someone putting the bronzer on the apples of the cheeks. I thought you put it above the apples so that you still wore blush and then bronzer?

I used to wear my makeup too dark because I wouldn't admit to myself how pale I really am. Now I see from looking at my mother and sister that it really ages you to do that. So since I like a little color the bronzer appeals to me, and while understand what it is supposed to do, I don't get if it is really worth it. Does anyone here use it regurally? I see all sorts of reviews on the net that make it seem like most women wear it all of the time, but I sure don't notice it. I know most people think Southern Californians are really into makeup and how they look, but most people I know don't wear much if any makeup. I'm talking people in a professional setting who make decent money. I don't know any really wealthy people so that could be different.
    i would wear it more regularly but i feel more comfortable wearing it only when my skin is in stellar condition (my thing) so as a result i don't end up wearing it as often but as my skin continues to improve from random breakouts i hope to wear it more.
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i would wear it more regularly but i feel more comfortable wearing it only when my skin is in stellar condition (my thing) so as a result i don't end up wearing it as often but as my skin continues to improve from random breakouts i hope to wear it more.

So do you do a full face of makeup and then add bronzer at the end? On cheeks, nose, hairline?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Curl Connoisseur Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You're supposed to use it where the sun would naturally hit - like the bridge of your nose, cheekbones, a bit on your forehead and chin, but I defer to Phoenix who is a makeup artist.

It never worked for me - always looked dirty or orange on my pale skin. Probably a similar situation to what RCC is talking about (but I wish I had her color hair and curls!)
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Curl Neophyte Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a new haircolor now, CP. :)

Orange and muddy describes it well. I just wonder if bronzer is really meant for those at the far end if pale. Ive seen it look nice on medium toned white women, but it can get muddy on the really light ones.

• Curly-AsianCurly-Asian Posts: 104Registered Users
    I always thought it was used to slim down your face.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,084Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've seen women use it to highlight certain features, like their jawbones or something of that sort. I don't really see the point. For me blush is enough.

It looks lovely on people who use it right though.
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I didn't really understand bronzer either up until a few months ago. Before I would just add a tiny bit and there wasn't much difference. I hate looking pale in the winter, and so one day I saw my friend putting it on and it looked great so I gave it another shot. I put on my concealer and powder first, and then my bronzer. I sweep it over my whole face, neck and chest. It's a staple for me now.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Curl Connoisseur Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm pretty makeup savvy, but I don't "get" bronzer" either. I'm a medium-toned-white-woman (supposedly who bronzer is made for) and bronzer looks terrible on me...muddy, dirty, overly-made-up. Why do I need this stuff?

When the sun naturally kisses me, I get color across the whole middle of my face. It's like a stripe. It's not all that attractive. Why would I want to duplicate that with makeup?
    as a black woman i feel bronzer is good for taking away the "flat" look and gives you a complexion that is similar to a child who has a healthy glow. a lot of people you see on tv and in ads have correctly applied bronzer. when it's done right you don't know someone has bronzer on. it can work with blush or be used in place of blush too.
    The thing about the EB Daydream bronzer is that it is supposed to be made for fair skinned people. It gets rave reviews, however, I think I will probably skip it. I really shouldn't be spending any money right now anyway. Here is a link showing a girl with and without it. I think she looks better without, but reading the text it looks like her mother applied it ALL over her face which is not how I understood bronzer is supposed to be used.

Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Bronzer – Daydream » Café Makeup

Reviews from makeupalley.com

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp/ItemId=128204/Daydream/Edward-Bess/Bronzers

Now what about hightlighters? EB has a highlighter I'm interested in also, but I don't really get those either. Does anyone use them reguraly? Can you tell I LOVE EB products?
    sdc wrote: »
    The thing about the EB Daydream bronzer is that it is supposed to be made for fair skinned people. It gets rave reviews, however, I think I will probably skip it. I really shouldn't be spending any money right now anyway. Here is a link showing a girl with and without it. I think she looks better without, but reading the text it looks like her mother applied it ALL over her face which is not how I understood bronzer is supposed to be used.

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp/ItemId=128204/Daydream/Edward-Bess/Bronzers

Now what about hightlighters? EB has a highlighter I'm interested in also, but I don't really get those either. Does anyone use them reguraly? Can you tell I LOVE EB products?

To be honest, I like her before pic better. The afters have a fake tan look to me.

Makeupalley Reviews of Edward Bess Daydream

To be honest, I like her before pic better. The afters have a fake tan look to me.

That's what I was saying when I said she looked better "without", I probably wasn't clear. But that is also a full face of bronzer which is not the way I understood it to be used.

Makeupalley Reviews of Edward Bess Daydream

That's what I was saying when I said she looked better "without", I probably wasn't clear. But that is also a full face of bronzer which is not the way I understood it to be used.

see it doesn't look bad to me. i can see a more healthy glow on the second. in the first she looks more yellow. too much yellow sometimes looks sickly. she does NOT look sickly but i think the bronzer sort of perks her up. personal choice i guess.
    Yeah, personal choice makes sense. :)

Also, I think really pale people tend to be hypersensitive about bronzers, fake tans and whatnot. Not all, but a fair amount.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file