cg stage or product issue

techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
I am 2 1/2 weeks into cg and have icky hair today. Today I co-washed with suave coconut and ro with tresseme naturals. Then I added jcrr (3 globs) and then dime size amount of jccc.

My hair feels a bit greasy. Since I am new to this, I am wondering if any of you "pros" think this is product issue or just the stage I am at in cg?

TIA

- on the upside the waves/curls are increasing! :thumbright:
2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
RO TN Moisturizing .
Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith

Comments

• wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    It could be products, but it's more likely just a transition phase. Almost all of us were greasy and icky at one time or another before our hair started accepting the extra moisture we were giving it! Since you're only 2 and 1/2 weeks in, you are probably just adjusting. Just keep giving it more time. You might want to clarify with an ACV rinse or BS scrub every once in a while. ;)

HTH!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    Thanks. If I use a sulfate-free poo, is that clarifying? A copy of the cg book is on its way to me but hasn't arrived yet.

Sent from my VM670 using CurlTalk App

RO TN Moisturizing .

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    Some products make me greasy no matter what. When I first went CG, my hair was super dry. I think you may just be in the CG limbo stage, when your hair is reacting to the change in products/techniques.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    It might be a combo of stage and products. I would definitely try a low-poo and an ACV rince and see how you feel after. :toothy4:
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    My advice would be to go ahead and use a non sulfate shampoo if you aren't already. Most wavies find they need one anyway. I'd use it as often as you feel you need it. Worst case scenario is that it makes the transition phase last longer, but it should also make the transition phase less hellish. If you have hair that requires a low poo post transition (almost all wavies), you will never get past the transition phase by cowashing alone.
    At this point it is hard to say what is causing your issues. It is normal for it to be just transition at this stage, but it could also be products.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    pedaheh wrote: »
    My advice would be to go ahead and use a non sulfate shampoo if you aren't already. Most wavies find they need one anyway. I'd use it as often as you feel you need it. Worst case scenario is that it makes the transition phase last longer, but it should also make the transition phase less hellish. If you have hair that requires a low poo post transition (almost all wavies), you will never get past the transition phase by cowashing alone.
    At this point it is hard to say what is causing your issues. It is normal for it to be just transition at this stage, but it could also be products.

tee hee...I did already non-sulfate shampoo. As the day went on the greasiness increased and I couldn't stand it.GROSS! After I washed, I didn't use the jcrr or jccc, just some gel. MUCH better.

I'll keep plugging along and try to rule out if its a product. I may wait until I am more fully transitioned to try the jc line again.

Thanks!

RO TN Moisturizing .

• SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    Sounds based on your signature like you have fine hair... IMHO, the Jessicurl products are a bit heavy for fine hair, especially if you have a looser curl/wave.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
    Sbudsky wrote: »
    Sounds based on your signature like you have fine hair... IMHO, the Jessicurl products are a bit heavy for fine hair, especially if you have a looser curl/wave.

Thanks for the reply. I really think you are right. I wasn't having any sort of oily issues before that and now that I have gone back to the gel I was using my hair and scalp don't feel the least bit greasy. I think I'll head on over to the swap board with it.

I had read an article on here about a line developed by a wavy, but can't seem to find the article back. Do you happen to know which line that would be? or perhaps a lighter line for fine, wavy hair.

RO TN Moisturizing .

• MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    Spiral solutions maybe? Good stuff :D
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
    Spiral solutions maybe? Good stuff :D

Yep, I did a search with that name and found the article I had previously read. I guess I should have gone with that in the first place. argh. Oh well. Lesson learned.

RO TN Moisturizing .

• asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Maybe use one JC product or the other instead of both. I tried using RR and CC and my hair felt really weighed down and greasy too. I like using RR and then a gel on top.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Maybe use one JC product or the other instead of both. I tried using RR and CC and my hair felt really weighed down and greasy too. I like using RR and then a gel on top.
    That's an idea I could try. I am wondering if perhaps I didn't shake well enough on the JCRR and ended up with most of the oils instead of the flax seed gel portion. Hmmm.

RO TN Moisturizing .

• pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    If you decide to try Spiral Solutions stuff, Kathymack sells samples.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    I second (or third) the recommendation of Spiral Solutions... It's worked better for me than any other line.

It's designed specifically for fine hair and lots of wavies really like it.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692

This is exactly why I am using a low-poo occasionally. I try to water or co-wash as often as possible, but eventually my roots go flat. I found the spritz and condish method to be pretty helpful in getting clean while staying moisturized. Water washing seems to help get the natural oils further down the hair shaft, while co washing helps get the product out, but I need a low-poo to get the extra grease off.
    swtndspcy wrote: »

This is exactly why I am using a low-poo occasionally. I try to water or co-wash as often as possible, but eventually my roots go flat. I found the spritz and condish method to be pretty helpful in getting clean while staying moisturized. Water washing seems to help get the natural oils further down the hair shaft, while co washing helps get the product out, but I need a low-poo to get the extra grease off.

So how does one know if you are "transitioning" or if your hair just needs a low-poo every so often? :sign6:

RO TN Moisturizing .

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    techmom wrote: »
    swtndspcy wrote: »

So how does one know if you are "transitioning" or if your hair just needs a low-poo every so often? :sign6:

I don't really know, honestly! LOL
    I just feel like I need a fresh start every so often. My hair seems a little too heavy sometimes. Plus, the side swept bangs will look greasy if not low poo'd every other day. Though for those, I section them out and try to just poo those every other day while trying to maintain my wash routine.
    It's just my personal preferance to have presentable hair and possibly a longer transition time.
    I found a combo of low poo'ing, misting and restyling after a wash day, then alternating between water and co washes for as long as possible have really helped keep the moisture in my hair while allowing me to be presentable! A few other tricks I learned: the Spritz and Condish method. This allows me to do a better job co washing because I can pretty much do most of the work while not standing in the shower running out the hot water. Making sure to keep up the friction while rinsing when co washing, this turned out to be pretty important! Ha Ha. Water washing allows me to sort of "pull" the extra oils down the hair shaft before scrubbing away the excess which IMO should help with transitioning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file