:: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: :: ::

Comments

• applesandafrosapplesandafros Posts: 328Registered Users
    Woo hoo!!! & its at forever 21!!!! *does happy dance*

Sent from my HUAWEI-M860 using CurlTalk App
    Almost MBL Coils
    spongy, low porosity, dense awesomeness

Shampoo: Curly Kinks Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Out/Detangler Conditioner: Aussie Moist, V05 Strawberries and Cream, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Leave in Conditioner: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa and Giovanni Direct Leave in
    Styler: Eco Styler Krystal and Blue, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Gel and Flax seed gel
    Sealer: Grape seed oil
    Deep Conditioner: Curl Junkie Repair Me
    Protein Treatment: Karishma and Jamilla Henna
  • cocoqueencocoqueen Posts: 24Registered Users
    Ommmmgggg yes! I'm ordering it lol

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe it's just the resolution, but why does it look like they made her lighter:

i-love-my-hair-sesame-street.jpg
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Just couldn't make it plus siZe too. *sigh*

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • tressedforsuccesstressedforsuccess Posts: 87Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lanisha wrote: »
    Maybe it's just the resolution, but why does it look like they made her lighter:

i-love-my-hair-sesame-street.jpg

I noticed the same thing. :pale: :-|
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    That is a hell of a color change. :sad3: Typical. If I ever get the urge to by hair related paraphernalia I'll stick to the tee on the mighty fine site.
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    There have been many posts about this shirt, including on CurlyNikki. She definitely looks lighter, but honestly I didn't even realize it until someone else pointed it out. If you look at some other shirts you can see the difference.

http://mrsgrapevine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/I-Love-My-Hair-T-Shirt-Sesame-Street-Braids.jpg

http://mrsgrapevine.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/I-Love-My-Hair-T-Shirt-Sesame-Street.jpg

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110307005945/muppet/images/a/a3/ILoveMyHair.Shirt.jpg
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cute. is it possible that in this color she's more universal? she could be a black girl or a brown girl or even a white girl....anyone who has come to terms with and loves their hair. yeah it would be nice to have varieties of shades but i'll take it rather than leave it so "they" see we like this kind of stuff. besides, this is one of the cheaper hair tops i've seen around, some are $30 an up pre-shipping.
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    cute. is it possible that in this color she's more universal? she could be a black girl or a brown girl or even a white girl....anyone who has come to terms with and loves their hair. yeah it would be nice to have varieties of shades but i'll take it rather than leave it so "they" see we like this kind of stuff. besides, this is one of the cheaper hair tops i've seen around, some are $30 an up pre-shipping.

Re: the bolded, that's a lovely sentiment (I'm honestly not being sarcastic. It is lovely). But, as I understand it, that's not the point. The song was about BLACK girls loving their hair. About the issues BLACK girls have embracing their natural textures. To make this into some kumbayah moment trivializes the point that one father tried to make for his girls and girls like them. Personally, I don't like this kind of stuff and I want "them" to know it. Before "we" can start to appreciate how much other people struggle (and I know they do) we have to accept our struggles. How the heck can we do that if every time we take a step forward...we take half a step back?
  • MoHair09MoHair09 Posts: 92Registered Users
    I noticed that alot of companies not making plus size. Their lost

Sent from my VM670 using CurlTalk App
    Affordable fashion jewelry & more http://www.dagoddessboutique.com/
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    Eh Maybe I'm not in tune enough but the shirt is cute. At least she still has a fro :afro:
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• moosegrl_86moosegrl_86 Posts: 403Registered Users
    MoHair09 wrote: »
    I noticed that alot of companies not making plus size. Their lost

Sent from my VM670 using CurlTalk App

It may be because the character was originally aimed at preschoolers? Hence the smaller sizes.
    Whoop whoop! :hello1:
    imager.php?id=1557276 GIFSoup
    Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
    4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
  • Precious CurlsPrecious Curls Posts: 448Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »

I didn't even think about the fact they wanted it to be universal. I can see why people think it's iffy though. Since it was originally for black girls and all.
  • KinkyBootsKinkyBoots Posts: 110Registered Users
    I think it's the resolution. Could be that it's on a different fabric and made by a different manufacturer. But that's just me.

I still want the shirt. :lol:
    Last Relaxer: December 2010
    Big Chop: February 2011

event.png
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    i just ordered it. I'll let you ladies know what it looks like when it arrives. For what it's worth, I could give a you know what about the cartoon being "light skinned." Who cares? She's rocking a fro. Love!
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think I'll get the Mighty Fine green one for my 3 yr old daughter.

http://welovefine.com/shop/CHARACTER/SESAME-STREET/I-Love-My-Hair-kids.html

Sent from my iPhone ~ YippieKiYay, MddrFqr!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hairguru17 wrote: »
    i just ordered it. I'll let you ladies know what it looks like when it arrives. For what it's worth, I could give a you know what about the cartoon being "light skinned." Who cares? She's rocking a fro. Love!

i ordered it too and yes her hair is an afro and it's not blond so to me she's still a black/brown girl. forever 21 is probably trying to get the biggest bang for their buck by having a shirt that might appeal to the most people, not just black women. i agree having 2 or 3 shades would be nice but it's not a must have for me. i can't wait to get mine :)
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People love making a big deal over absolutely nothing. I'm going to check my store to see if I can avoid shipping and if not I'll order it.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Cute print & message aside, no one else thinks the forever21 shirt itself looks sorta raggedy?

True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
    ^^It's a "distressed" look. Along the same lines of buying jeans/shorts with holes already in them. The unfinished hemline, all that. I actually prefer my clothes like that - more laid back looking (not for work though). I hate how regular tshirts are cut and I snip the necks off of all mine.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LolaKinkzLolaKinkz Posts: 1,198Registered Users
    P.P. wrote: »
    Cute print & message aside, no one else thinks the forever21 shirt itself looks sorta raggedy?

it looks faded and distressed... but dont most F21 stuff look like that lol. Cant wash this one it looks like the fro will peel off.
    BC: June 16th 2010
    TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
    :love4:Product Connoisseur:love4:

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
    www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
    www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

• LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When EYE think about it, it feels wrong to get upset about her possibly being lighter because there are black women and girls that I've seen who were light and felt bad a about their hair an their overall appearance because o their hair and needed to hear that song just as much as a girl with browner skin. For ME, it feels like saying "This positive, uplifting, affirmation is just for ME, just for US. The brown skinned Black girls." I feel bad about that, especially because I've seen women who weren't Black at all struggle with being put down by their family because they stopped relaxing their hair.

At first I felt like "Hey that's not fair!" Then I thought, but there ARE women her same color who want to rock the T-Shirt and feel good about theit hair hair too. How must they feel to hear people say she shouldn't be light, or caramel, or toffee or whatever she is on the shirt when they are light, or caramel, or toffee or WHATEVER

I just wanted to be honest and put my feelings out there. I think dialogue is good.
    When EYE think about it, it feels wrong to get upset about her possibly being lighter because there are black women and girls that I've seen who were light and felt bad a about their hair an their overall appearance because o their hair and needed to hear that song just as much as a girl with browner skin. For ME, it feels like saying "This positive, uplifting, affirmation is just for ME, just for US. The brown skinned Black girls." I feel bad about that, especially because I've seen women who weren't Black at all struggle with being put down by their family because they stopped relaxing their hair.

At first I felt like "Hey that's not fair!" Then I thought, but there ARE women her same color who want to rock the T-Shirt and feel good about theit hair hair too. How must they feel to hear people say she shouldn't be light, or caramel, or toffee or whatever she is on the shirt when they are light, or caramel, or toffee or WHATEVER

I just wanted to be honest and put my feelings out there. I think dialogue is good.
    I mean, I'm not upset that people are mad, I frankly just think they are looking for something that isn't there (and being rather whiny about it). If the screen print were more saturated and came out darker, I highly doubt anyone would have any kind of issue with the shirt. I'm laughing that people are saying maybe they tried to make the shirt more universal (with an afro...okaaaay), like it's not common to be black and be that color. A medium/dark brown is not the universal color for all black people, so I'm kind of tired of people trying to make it so. Anyway, I don't even think they made the shirt lighter on purpose - it's F21...it probably costs less to dilute the paint, lol (and it could just be the lighting in the picture). That's why this shirt is $13 and the Mighty Fine one is $25, which I didn't get because I didn't want to pay that much for a tshirt that I was going to cut up anyway. I truly think that people are ridiculous and throwing out the colorism card EVERY week (literally, for the past few weeks every dang week I see something new - cry cry cry cry, whine, whine, whine - and no wonder people think that black woman complain too much), I guess that's what's in style now.... :sign6:
    YouTube
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    People love making a big deal over absolutely nothing. I'm going to check my store to see if I can avoid shipping and if not I'll order it.

I rarely shop at the forever21 stores. the crowds and the overwhelming selection....UGH! online is great and you get free shipping if you spend $50, which for me always leads to me spending about $70 on a boatload of clothes and accessories. I'm super duper trendy so I LOVE me some forever21, even though I'm 28 lol.
    Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
    Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
    DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
    Dimefabulous-Twitter name
    http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/
  • Al1020BlueAl1020Blue Posts: 147Registered Users
    I mean, I'm not upset that people are mad, I frankly just think they are looking for something that isn't there (and being rather whiny about it). If the screen print were more saturated and came out darker, I highly doubt anyone would have any kind of issue with the shirt. I'm laughing that people are saying maybe they tried to make the shirt more universal (with an afro...okaaaay), like it's not common to be black and be that color. A medium/dark brown is not the universal color for all black people, so I'm kind of tired of people trying to make it so. Anyway, I don't even think they made the shirt lighter on purpose - it's F21...it probably costs less to dilute the paint, lol (and it could just be the lighting in the picture). That's why this shirt is $13 and the Mighty Fine one is $25, which I didn't get because I didn't want to pay that much for a tshirt that I was going to cut up anyway. I truly think that people are ridiculous and throwing out the colorism card EVERY week (literally, for the past few weeks every dang week I see something new - cry cry cry cry, whine, whine, whine - and no wonder people think that black woman complain too much), I guess that's what's in style now.... :sign6:[/QUOTE]

Inappropriate!:laughing6: I have been refraining from commenting in this thread...because well I don't think its that serious. When I saw the shirt I immediately wanted to buy it because i have been dying to have one for a few months now AND this one is in the cute loose style...sign me up...

I personally don't think that there was any intention to lighten the cartoon...its F21...they are cheap...I would have figured people would be upset that the had a "white" girl modeling the dang shirt...doah!

I'm going to get one its $13....
    If at first you don't succeed you must try, try, try again...:disgust:

Current Products:

Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo & SM African Black Soap

LI Condish: Oyin HH, SM DTM, SM Y&A Milk
    DC: SM DTM, Honey & Oil Blend
    Stylers: Oyin S&D, Oyin BSP, Oyin J&B, EcoStyler (Blue), SM C&S Milk
    Oils: Tea Tree, Grapeseed, EVOO, Vatika Oil, Sweet Almond, Avocado Oil, SM RSB Elixir

We are all so much together, but we are all dying of loneliness - A. Schweitzer
    Al1020Blue wrote: »
    I mean, I'm not upset that people are mad, I frankly just think they are looking for something that isn't there (and being rather whiny about it). If the screen print were more saturated and came out darker, I highly doubt anyone would have any kind of issue with the shirt. I'm laughing that people are saying maybe they tried to make the shirt more universal (with an afro...okaaaay), like it's not common to be black and be that color. A medium/dark brown is not the universal color for all black people, so I'm kind of tired of people trying to make it so. Anyway, I don't even think they made the shirt lighter on purpose - it's F21...it probably costs less to dilute the paint, lol (and it could just be the lighting in the picture). That's why this shirt is $13 and the Mighty Fine one is $25, which I didn't get because I didn't want to pay that much for a tshirt that I was going to cut up anyway. I truly think that people are ridiculous and throwing out the colorism card EVERY week (literally, for the past few weeks every dang week I see something new - cry cry cry cry, whine, whine, whine - and no wonder people think that black woman complain too much), I guess that's what's in style now.... :sign6:

Inappropriate!:laughing6: I have been refraining from commenting in this thread...because well I don't think its that serious. When I saw the shirt I immediately wanted to buy it because i have been dying to have one for a few months now AND this one is in the cute loose style...sign me up...

I personally don't think that there was any intention to lighten the cartoon...its F21...they are cheap...I would have figured people would be upset that the had a "white" girl modeling the dang shirt...doah!

I'm going to get one its $13....

Girl...people were already mad that on the Mighty Fine site there was a white woman modeling the shirt (so I guess they didn't need to be mad twice). They needed something fresh for spring.
    YouTube
  • lashawnblashawnb Posts: 111Registered Users Curl Neophyte

And THAT post explains why I love that Elle! Girl, shoot me a pic when you get your shirt. :evil3:
    :wave: hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
    2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    taken 3/30/11
  • PlisskinPlisskin Posts: 32Registered Users

Black folks come in all shades yes, but this is a licensed character, who was also a darker shade of brown unlike what is on the shirt F21 has in stock.
    Other licensed characters on Forever 21's site is Kermit, Pebbles, Hello Kitty, Snoopy, Mickey Mouse, Elmo, and the Owl from the Tootsie Pop commercials. Some of the shirts with these characters on them are distressed, but they still retain their original coloring even though their faded. I mean, the Felix the Cat shirt, albeit faded, is still black: http://www.forever21.com/product.asp?catalog_name=FOREVER21&category_name=top_graphict&product_id=2058635739&Page=9&pgcount=25
    If they could have a black cat on a faded shirt still retain his original coloring, they could have done it with the "I Love My Hair" muppet.
    Brrrnt, false. Check out Kermit. Is his neck thingie always yellow? Nope.

00016385-02.jpg

Or Hello Kitty's bow...is it gold?

00012495-01.jpg

Oh dang, look at Cookie Monster, is his blue that bright always?

00016371-01.jpg

cookie-monster_with_text.jpg

NO. C is still for cookie though. My original point stands.

Also, you do know that Forever 21 does not make all of their graphic tees, they buy them from different manufacturers??

**Throws up hands in frustration**
    YouTube
  • lashawnblashawnb Posts: 111Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Offically dead. Thanks, Elle.:happy4:
    :wave: hi. i'm a product junkie! so many products, so little time...
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    last full relaxer: 6/10/10 big chop: 11/25/10
    2011 Goal: SL (stretched) = Curly :afro:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    taken 3/30/11

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file