Wind, what say ye fair wavies?

plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
Love it or hate it?

I saw a thread about wind on another forum, and most people hated it but a few loved it. I'm suspecting those that are ok with it have stronger curl patterns. For me, the wind:

* seriously tangles my hair like whoa!
* pulls out curl and wave...boo!
* leads to frizz, frizz, and more frizz!

I think I might be ok with the frizz if I had a stronger curl pattern and all I needed was a little butter or serum to pull it back together again, but I usually find it ruins what I have worked hard to achieve. I leave the apartment with happy hair but I don't always arrive with happy hair. I do sometimes go out with crunchy hair and then I will SOTC once I arrive to my destination, but boy do I hate having crunchy poodle head hair out in public.

How about you? What say ye on the wind fair wavies?

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    HATE IT!
    I have my goody spin pins and up do pin in my purse so I can loosely pull it up/back in the car when the windows are down. Otherwise the wind picks up my waves and whips them around and then they look like I stuck my finger in an electric outlet! Or I will leave the crunch in too.. but yeah.. hate being crunchy in public! So early 90's! LOL
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    Wind ruins it all. Only alternative for me is to stay crunchy, longer.
  • techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    Hate it for the same reasons as you. Especially the pulling out of the wave pattern. big boo!
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Registered Users Posts: 1,250
    Wind... the death of a good hair day. Hate it.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • IAgirlIAgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,540 Curl Neophyte
    On the positive side - high wind forecasted = don't even bother with hairstyling other than windproof updo = laid back attitude.

It's beastly windy here today! And for a fair bit of our part of the continent. I hate high winds.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    Wind is not my friend, hair-wise.

It's not as bad as it used to be, and that is for sure. With hair in better condition it doesn't immediately turn into a fright wig, like it used to at the first hint of wind. But it's still the worst weather for my hair. Misty rain is good. Humidity, fine. Dry winter days I can manage. Super-rainy, stay inside. But wind is the destroyer of style.

If the hair is dry and looking good, I can sometimes twist it up loosely in a clip and then it is still OK when it comes back down. Not tightly, that stretches it.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    Ugh, HATE THAT WIND! I'm always saying that the wind is only good for two things: making you cold, and messing up your hair! It absolutely turns my hair into something so frightful, I don't want to walk past any mirrors when I get home. :( Plunkybug, you said it all. It pulls my curls into a big ball of POOF, it makes me frizz like nothing else, and I guess I could say it leads to hair loss (not that I need any more hair!) -- by the time I'm done combing all the tangles out of my hair, I'm left with a ball of pulled-out hair way bigger than it should be. I could've styled and dried my hair in the time it takes to get the knots out!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Registered Users Posts: 571
    I've quit worrying about wind as much as I used to. It undoes my style a bit but if I'm really worried about it I just stay crunchy or pull it into a loose updo. I used to get really upset if my hair got messed up midday but now i've chilled out a bit. :)
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Registered Users Posts: 297
    Even a little bit of wind gives me insta-flyaways. But I actually really like wind...at least, I like the feeling of it blowing on my face. I don't like what it does to my hair, ahaha...

I usually don't mind though, like if I'm at the coast or running around outside with friends - the windswept look is sort of expected, I guess. It's when I'm in places where attractive men could potentially be and/or job interviews that it throws my day a little out of whack.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • CurlyCheerCupCurlyCheerCup Registered Users Posts: 32
    Wind is my element. Always has been. I love love love it. It makes me feel like a movie star, like the ones who have 'windswept' hair, lol. Also, it loosens my gel cast for me when I'm in a rush xD
    :icescream:Type:2c/3a botticelli curls with 2b/c at the underlayers and some of the back, very thick and mid-back length, black w/ very few caramel highlights

I kept falling off the cg wagon but finally started properly as of July 2010
    I use tresemme naturals condish, liveclean argan oil and argan oil leave-in condish and curl keeper!:angel9:

Canadian-raised Filipino!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :cheers:
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I hate it for my bangs, because I straighten them and they get a weird mustache curl when the wind blows. Otherwise I love it...as long as it's not that constant wind that never gives, because that's just annoying. I especially love the wind on the beach in Daytona, Florida when I vacation. The saltwater air just makes the best beachy look for me! I can never fix my bangs down there though but it's worth it!!! I don't diffuse all the way and go out to let the wind off the beach finish the job. I used to fight it by adding lots of gel or mousse but I gave in the fight.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • ailin85ailin85 Registered Users Posts: 137 Curl Neophyte
    Hahaha! I guess wind is not for the majority of the wavies....

The same thing happens w. me and wind as plunkybug!
    A|G
    "iron clothes not hair"
    2b (blonde highlights)

Products
    :
    Trying them all! So far, not settling down... FL is a challenge!

*Modified CG since Feb'2011
  • pedahehpedaheh Registered Users Posts: 4,812 Curl Neophyte
    You wind lovers are crazy. Move to ND and your love of wind will be cured for life.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • chicklegirlchicklegirl Registered Users Posts: 40
    I don't love wind, but I can tolerate it. I live in the middle of Washington state, where it is both windy and dry. I find any winds stronger than about 15mph make my hair tangle and look limp, so I wear hats or hoods in winter, and pull it back in the summer.

I've found homemade FSG to be my most wind-friendly styling product--it keeps hold pretty well, and minimizes wind-induced frizz. I do confess that after being out in the wind, I often finger-comb or even (gasp) use a wide-tooth comb when necessary. My hair is so much healthier since going CG that the damage doesn't build up nearly as fast, and I don't mind how my hair looks when it's combed out.
    2b/F/ii canopy/front, with a bit of 2c/M-C/ii behind the ears and at the nape. Low elasticity, mixed porosity.

Lo-poo: GTTT
    Co-wash/condition: GTTT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, GF Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Style: KCCC, FSG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
    I don't love wind, but I can tolerate it. I live in the middle of Washington state, where it is both windy and dry. I find any winds stronger than about 15mph make my hair tangle and look limp, so I wear hats or hoods in winter, and pull it back in the summer.

I've found homemade FSG to be my most wind-friendly styling product--it keeps hold pretty well, and minimizes wind-induced frizz. I do confess that after being out in the wind, I often finger-comb or even (gasp) use a wide-tooth comb when necessary. My hair is so much healthier since going CG that the damage doesn't build up nearly as fast, and I don't mind how my hair looks when it's combed out.

Your so lucky you can comb it out! When I try to comb mine out, the waves are too tight and it just looks.. well, like I stuck my finger in a light socket! I seem to get that electrocuted look often...
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    I live by the water...in fact, water surrounds 3 of the 4 sides of my neighborhood, the park being the 4th border. Wind is a fact of life and sometimes I wonder why I bother.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I will take wind over rain any day! It has been raining here for the past 2-3 months non-stop and my hair hates rainy weather! If I even attempt to comb my hair with my fingers or wide tooth comb while dry I look like Chaka Khan. Like I said though if it's really bad wind I don't like it at all. Just a nice gust here and there. The worst part is that it always seems to go against my hair instead of with it so it gets blown into my face.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    Giovanni weightless leave-in
    My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
    Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    ththd wrote: »
    I will take wind over rain any day! It has been raining here for the past 2-3 months non-stop and my hair hates rainy weather! If I even attempt to comb my hair with my fingers or wide tooth comb while dry I look like Chaka Khan. Like I said though if it's really bad wind I don't like it at all. Just a nice gust here and there. The worst part is that it always seems to go against my hair instead of with it so it gets blown into my face.

See, at least with rain, I have an umbrella (at all times in my purse, actually...the PNW makes it kinda necessary) which helps a lot, despite its petite size. Wind though, I am not a hat or scarf person, so it just blows around and tangles.

• chicklegirlchicklegirl Registered Users Posts: 40
    swtndspcy wrote: »
    Your so lucky you can comb it out! When I try to comb mine out, the waves are too tight and it just looks.. well, like I stuck my finger in a light socket! I seem to get that electrocuted look often...

swtndspcy, from your sig and avatar it looks like your hair may be a bit thicker and coarser than mine, but still similar, in that it's a mix of textures and curl patterns. My hair does get poofy after I comb it out, but then I scrunch it (with dry hands, upside down and then rightside up) and that seems to reform the clumps and settle it down. Don't know if that would work with your hair. You have really lovely, shiny locks and your curl pattern is so pretty!
    2b/F/ii canopy/front, with a bit of 2c/M-C/ii behind the ears and at the nape. Low elasticity, mixed porosity.

Lo-poo: GTTT
    Co-wash/condition: GTTT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, GF Triple Nutrition Fortifying Cream
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut
    Style: KCCC, FSG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel
  • curlywhocurlywho Registered Users Posts: 119
    I actually love the wind. It pulls my curl out, but it still looks really good for some reason. Plus, I love knowing that everyone else has windblown hair too, so it really just doesn't matter.
    Hair Properties:
    2b/3a
    High Porosity
    Fine
    Thick
    Loves Protein, hates oil of any kind, takes FOREVER to dry.

Products:
    (I mix and match depending on the day)
    Occasional Low-poo: Burt's Bees
    Conditioner: GCP
    Ecostyler Gel
    CIAB
    As I am Curling Jelly

Recently Purchased:
    Rockin Ringlets
    Curl Keeper
    Confident Coils

Microfiber Plop (10 mins)
    Super-soaker
    Diffuse-dry
    swtndspcy wrote: »

swtndspcy, from your sig and avatar it looks like your hair may be a bit thicker and coarser than mine, but still similar, in that it's a mix of textures and curl patterns. My hair does get poofy after I comb it out, but then I scrunch it (with dry hands, upside down and then rightside up) and that seems to reform the clumps and settle it down. Don't know if that would work with your hair. You have really lovely, shiny locks and your curl pattern is so pretty!
    You're too sweet. I guess I have a case of the grass is always greener... I just wish the waves would just decide to be curly or loosen up (kind of missing my straight hair days where I could wash n go with no product)!
    It's actually a mix of normal/course understory, fine/course in the canopy and the length is a lot less dense than my crown due to some medication I was on that made my hair fall out in handful after handful. It's slowly growing back in the crown area. My problem is, when the waves are pulled out of their clumps, the individual hairs decide to go their own way, instead of staying in the direction they were in... hence, electrocuted look. Nothing other than wetting it back down makes them behave.
    I really wish I could just scrunch them back though! In my days of straight hair, I loved the wind! I just had a bit of body wave underneath and it would still look good even it was really a tangley mess.
  • techmomtechmom Registered Users Posts: 300
    I previously posted that I didn't like the wind. Today has changed my mind. I've got beach hair going on today and I can roll with it. Of course, that could be because it is finally beach weather here.
    2a (nc.com), 2a/2bFii (fia), normal porosity

Cowash:TN Radiant Volume
    RO TN Moisturizing .
    Styling products:AVG, Ecostyler Crystal
    Styling Methods: Pixie-style diffusing - total fav
    Low-poo: AO Nourishing Lavender

http://designdedication.com

saved by grace, walking by faith
  • qimissungqimissung Registered Users Posts: 211 Curl Neophyte
    I agree with plunkybug and pedaheh, though fsg does preserve it some. I'm in an area of Mn that gets lots of wind, keeps the bugs away but makes the hair funny. You really want to see icky wind hair? Go on a 4-wheeler trail up north, wind and tons of dust!! Can we say really bad hair combo?!
    Fine cherub curls. LUS brand user. That's all I need!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file