Curly girl book

Hi,
Just wondering did anyone buy the curly girl book? If so did you like it? Was it worth buying?
Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There's a long thread about the "new" book that came out at the beginning of the year.

I thought the first book was a waste of money. This one, however, comes with a DVD. It shows you how to "treat" your hair. I could never use all of the product that the models use, but I did incorporate a lot of the technique into my routine. At this point, the book is under $10, so not a biggy.

I also bought a copy for my stylist (who's a good friend.) He enjoyed the first book (I gave him mine), so I thought he'd like this one even better.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ITA with Kathymack. If anything it's only $10 and gives you someplace to start taking care of your curls. Still haven't watched the DVD tho.
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • prettycurlyprettycurly Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks I think I'll go buy the book if it's only $10.
  • mslittlelalamslittlelala Posts: 139Registered Users
    I agree the first one is a TOTAL WASTE!
    The second one... A tad better but nothing to write home about.
    If I had 2a-3b hair I'd probably find it more useful but there's nothing
    I mean NOTHING in that book you can't find on here or another site.
    Save your money I saw the rave reviews and thought it would be great
    sadly disappointed.
    FULL CG - 2nd Attempt 2/27/11
    TYPE: Fluffy see through coils & corkscrews when dry & product free
    HGS underlined
    DC: AOHSR / AOGPB / AOSwim / Elucence
    PO: BWC RM / CV Poo Bars
    Cowash: Vo5 KL / GTTT Dilute / Vo5 SC
    RO: AOBGA
    LEAVE INS
    Warm mths - help??
    Cool mths - H20, Olive oil, whipped shea butter
    STYLE: La Bella Styling Gel / Deva SIF
  • NancyV908NancyV908 Posts: 108Registered Users
    I think it's worth it b/c as others have said it's cheap. I like it much better than the first one. It's a fun read.

It's true there is a lot more info here but this site can be so overwhelming--the book is much simpler & a good start. However, it doesn't cover stuff like protein (which I believe Lorraine Massey doesn't believe in, but I have found helpful for my hair type) or dewpoints or lots of other details. But it doesn't make my head spin either, like this site does. And I agree the DVD is very helpful--parts of it, anyway. I don't know why they put a section of Lorraine making hair recipes on it, for instance.

I have found the Live Curly, Live Free ebook much more helpful. Much of its info is available free on the website, but I think buying the ebook is worthwhile b/c the extra content is very useful.
    My properties
    Fine, normal porosity, normal elasticity

Leave-in Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut; looking for a replacement for the no-longer-CG Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel Looking for a replacement for the discontinued LAL blue gel. Also thinking I need a low- or no-humectant gel for high-dew days, but haven't figured that one out.
  • southernfibersouthernfiber Posts: 20Registered Users
    I had the first one years ago, and it was a waste of time to read. I flipped through the second book standing in Barnes and Noble and read the parts that applied to my hair... I noticed she made the system a lot more realistic, and offered much better advice. The thing is, most, if not all of what's in the book can be found on this site. So I don't plan on purchasing the book myself, but for 10 dollars, it's not a bad buy, and you will have a hard copy of the CG method and how to care for your curls. Plus, the second book is WAY inspiring, and will make you love your curls just by reading it! Let us know what you think! :)

Sent from my Android device using CurlTalk
    ggKzm4.pngcTlDm4.png
    Products:
    Cleanser: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo (every Sunday)
    COWash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    Condish/Leave In: Garnier Fructis TNT
    Styler: La Bella Lots of Curls
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,213Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't find the first book very helpful, and I really hesitate to buy the second book but I'm very glad I bought it. I got much more out of it than the first book and I found the DVD helpful. I recommend it.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Goin'GreyGoin'Grey Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I read them both. The first one helped me a lot, but I was not even CG then, so it helped me become CG, along with this website.

Now, Lorrain Massey is going to kill me, but...now move on in close girls, cause I got to wisper this...
    I got them both out of the library. Got 'em - Read 'em - Returned 'em. That's right, I said it.:walk:
    3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
    Med-Course
    Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
    Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
    Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
    SOTC: JCNS
    Love your hair: Love yourself!
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Goin'Grey wrote: »
    I read them both. The first one helped me a lot, but I was not even CG then, so it helped me become CG, along with this website.

Now, Lorrain Massey is going to kill me, but...now move on in close girls, cause I got to wisper this...
    I got them both out of the library. Got 'em - Read 'em - Returned 'em. That's right, I said it.:walk:

I did the same thing! Although I did buy the second book. I got the first one from the library, and then ordered the second one right after it was released. I think its got some good info. Though most of it and more can be found on here.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Posts: 692Registered Users
    I found the section on DIY trimming/cuts very useful. I am aiming for being able to maintain my hair myself for as long as possible (no CG salons, or even curly experts that I have found around here!).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file