Shea moisture products

cocoqueencocoqueen Posts: 24Registered Users
I have recently tried Shea moisture's organic coconut & hibiscus curl and style milk it made my hair sooo soft n moisturized n a way I never thought possible has any one else tried their other products if so what was ur result? I'm curious before I go on a PJ craze =]

Comments

• Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4a/[email protected]

big threads on it!

for me, the smoothie = fail. dry hair no matter how i use it. but the raw shea restorative conditioner = LOVE. :love5:
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    cocoqueen wrote: »
    I have recently tried Shea moisture's organic coconut & hibiscus curl and style milk it made my hair sooo soft n moisturized n a way I never thought possible has any one else tried their other products if so what was ur result? I'm curious before I go on a PJ craze =]

I just bought and used the coconut shampoo and it was great. Also got the curl smoothie, used it on my twists today, great. I haven't found the milk yet, thinking about getting the hold spray. I had the restorative conditioner first, it didn't do anything for me so I switched it out for the smoothie, based on that, Ithink I'm sticking to the coconut hibiscus line.
    Oooh and the walgreens I went to had the value packs for all the shea moisture lines: in smaller sizes but for 20 bucks, not bad!

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users

big threads on it!

for me, the smoothie = fail. dry hair no matter how i use it. but the raw shea restorative conditioner = LOVE. :love5:

Thats so funny we had the opposite experiences :)

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
  • cocoqueencocoqueen Posts: 24Registered Users
    Thanks for the insight and link to threads I also may stick with the coconut & hibiscus since its done wonders so far

Sent from my Droid using CurlTalk App
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I have used the coconut shampoo, restorative condish, curl and style milk, hold +moisture spray, and loved them all. The jury is still out on the deep treatment masque. Did NOT like the smoothie. I just bought a moisture thickening milk from the Yucca line (black label) and it is very good, but be careful with the glycerin in it! At first I thought it was the same as the curl + style milk, but the ingredients are different: for example, the black one contains pantenol, glycerin, and a vitamin B.
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • montREALadymontREALady Posts: 1,210Registered Users
    I have used the coconut shampoo, restorative condish, curl and style milk, hold +moisture spray, and loved them all. The jury is still out on the deep treatment masque. Did NOT like the smoothie. I just bought a moisture thickening milk from the Yucca line (black label) and it is very good, but be careful with the glycerin in it! At first I thought it was the same as the curl + style milk, but the ingredients are different: for example, the black one contains pantenol, glycerin, and a vitamin B.

Bought that yesterday, but the Yucca line has the green label. African Blk Soap is the black. I saw the glycerin in it and didn't open it yet because of that, wondering if I should return it since summer is coming up and get the curl milk instead.
    I just got the deep treatment mask I loved it I put the moisture milk after my hair was a breeze to comb and soft ..... idk about getting the product with glycerine in it how bad is that for your hair? I think I will get more of there products soon

• Jamtastic Voyage!Jamtastic Voyage! Posts: 230Registered Users
    glycerin is one of those two-faced ingredients, cocoqueen....

a humectant. taking moisture... wherever they can find it. DUN DUN DUNNNN.

(examples being glycerin, honey, agave nectar, panthenol, sorbitol, and propylene glycol)

if it's nice and (not too) humid and dew points are moderate-high, humectants draw moisture out of the air and put it into your hair, keeping your hair nice and moisturized. spring is the best time of the year for humectants unless your area is having a dry spell!

but! if the air outside is dry and dew points are low, the humectant will draw moisture out of your hair because it has more moisture than the drier air. so your hair will be very dry. winter is the worst time for humectants since the air is usually very dry and cold.

i like to think of humectants as little robin hoods.. stealing from the rich (moisture-laden) and giving to the poor (thirsty)!
    4a, fine-coarse, normal-high porosity, thick and dense sponge cake!
    currently texlaxed!
    APL stretched, ear length curly.
    Hair <3s: butters, glycerin, honey, coconut, aloe, olive oil
    Hair </3s: other oils, protein, 'cones, sulfates
    Cleanse: Bentonite Clay
    Condition: Shea Moisture Restorative, KUI Hydrating Hemp
    Leave-In: KCKT+castor oil, KUI Coconut Cream
    Style: Curl pudding (eco styler blue gel+shea butter+castor oil+conditioner)
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I didn't care for the Smoothie because of the smell and I felt it left my hair a little to coated and I wasn't impressed with the results..but it could have been that I just used to much. I may give it another try and apply a lot less of it.

I love the Curl & Style Milk though. The smell is not as potent as the Smoothie. It is extremely moisturizing IMO and works well under a gel or alone for me. Works great for a wash n go to me.

I decided to try the Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo and boy was I pleasantly surprised. My hair and scalp got nice and clean but my hair didn't feel super stripped afterwards. Given, I'm not a person that minds the stripped feeling shampoo gives since I keep my hair super conditioned all the time.. but this is great for people that do mind IMO.

The Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist is great for refreshing my curls but I don't see all what shine it gives. I don't mind the lack of shine though since I do other things to give my hair a nice gloss.

Now the Deep Moisture Masque..wow. This really impressed me the most. It works so great with heat IMO for a deep conditioning. I've even tried it as a leave in and good grief..my hair was super extra moisturized. I'm usually a daily wash n go'er and I experimented with this product and didn't wash my hair for 3 days. At the end of 3 days my hair was STILL moisturized. I'll always be a daily wash n go'er but I like that if I can't for some reason my hair retains moisture really well with this stuff. So if I HAD to go without washing..it would work nicely.

I also love just slapping some of this stuff on damp hair for a pony tail! I don't usually wear my hair up but because of this stuff I've started doing more updos for fun. I like it because the hair is soft and fluffy so the updo or ponytail doesn't look all stiff or feel stiff either. Just feels silky! Great alternative to gel for updos for me.

I did find though that using too much of the Masque as a leave-in much can leave my hair greasy, so if I use it as a leave-in then I apply to damp hair sparingly. I won't be using it often as a leave-in but it will continue to be a DT for me from now on.

So I'm definitely pro Shea Moisture now!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    glycerin is one of those two-faced ingredients, cocoqueen....

a humectant. taking moisture... wherever they can find it. DUN DUN DUNNNN.

(examples being glycerin, honey, agave nectar, panthenol, sorbitol, and propylene glycol)

if it's nice and (not too) humid and dew points are moderate-high, humectants draw moisture out of the air and put it into your hair, keeping your hair nice and moisturized. spring is the best time of the year for humectants unless your area is having a dry spell!

but! if the air outside is dry and dew points are low, the humectant will draw moisture out of your hair because it has more moisture than the drier air. so your hair will be very dry. winter is the worst time for humectants since the air is usually very dry and cold.

i like to think of humectants as little robin hoods.. stealing from the rich (moisture-laden) and giving to the poor (thirsty)!

Thank you for clearing that up I had no idea I'm learning something new for my hair everyday ty!

I didn't care for the Smoothie because of the smell and I felt it left my hair a little to coated and I wasn't impressed with the results..but it could have been that I just used to much. I may give it another try and apply a lot less of it.

I love the Curl & Style Milk though. The smell is not as potent as the Smoothie. It is extremely moisturizing IMO and works well under a gel or alone for me. Works great for a wash n go to me.

I decided to try the Shea Moisture Retention Shampoo and boy was I pleasantly surprised. My hair and scalp got nice and clean but my hair didn't feel super stripped afterwards. Given, I'm not a person that minds the stripped feeling shampoo gives since I keep my hair super conditioned all the time.. but this is great for people that do mind IMO.

The Coconut & Hibiscus Hold & Shine Moisture Mist is great for refreshing my curls but I don't see all what shine it gives. I don't mind the lack of shine though since I do other things to give my hair a nice gloss.

Now the Deep Moisture Masque..wow. This really impressed me the most. It works so great with heat IMO for a deep conditioning. I've even tried it as a leave in and good grief..my hair was super extra moisturized. I'm usually a daily wash n go'er and I experimented with this product and didn't wash my hair for 3 days. At the end of 3 days my hair was STILL moisturized. I'll always be a daily wash n go'er but I like that if I can't for some reason my hair retains moisture really well with this stuff. So if I HAD to go without washing..it would work nicely.

I also love just slapping some of this stuff on damp hair for a pony tail! I don't usually wear my hair up but because of this stuff I've started doing more updos for fun. I like it because the hair is soft and fluffy so the updo or ponytail doesn't look all stiff or feel stiff either. Just feels silky! Great alternative to gel for updos for me.

I did find though that using too much of the Masque as a leave-in much can leave my hair greasy, so if I use it as a leave-in then I apply to damp hair sparingly. I won't be using it often as a leave-in but it will continue to be a DT for me from now on.

So I'm definitely pro Shea Moisture now!

I now use the curling style milk deep conditioning mask [loooooove] with the matching shampoo, reconstructing elixir, and African black soap elixer my hair is so soft and my scalp is sooo soothed and itch free I use to scratch it all the time it bother me for years u always saw me scratching my head LOL now its a thong of the pass... I love this product line its amazing and it fits my college girl budget ( went to check out miss Jessie's at target n my wallet said girl stop!!!! Lol)

• montREALadymontREALady Posts: 1,210Registered Users
    ^^ That African Black Soap Elixir is the truth!

Sent from my MB300 using CurlTalk App
    ^^ That African Black Soap Elixir is the truth!

Sent from my MB300 using CurlTalk App

Yess I looooove it!!!

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    ok so even though the original sheamoisture leave in conditioner has been the truth for me for years, NONE of the new products have wowed me and Ive tried them all.

The only one that raised a buzz was the new Curling Souffle and only because I can use it as a leave in and not a true gel.

Today I finally picked up the purification mask after giving in. I used the other masks in the line as a prepoo and Im probably going to use this as one too.

How do you guys use the purification mask, typical deep treatment?
  • 3c4d7zwhatevs3c4d7zwhatevs Posts: 1,589Registered Users
    That's how I use it. I tried it after reading about it here (not impressed on freshly shampooed hair) and it totally changed my outlook. It melted the tangles out of my hair and left it sooo soft. I think I am going to use it tomorrow morning.
    4a/3c curls
    Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
    Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
    Team Wash and Go!
    iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    ok so even though the original sheamoisture leave in conditioner has been the truth for me for years, NONE of the new products have wowed me and Ive tried them all.

The only one that raised a buzz was the new Curling Souffle and only because I can use it as a leave in and not a true gel.

Today I finally picked up the purification mask after giving in. I used the other masks in the line as a prepoo and Im probably going to use this as one too.

How do you guys use the purification mask, typical deep treatment?

I think it all depends on the individual. I haven't used the black label but the DC's in the SM line for me work well as leave-ins and even better as DC's. I don't pre-poo so I wouldn't know if it works like that.

My bf used the African black soap shampoo and conditioner since I always rave about SM for his dry and itchy scalp and LOVES it.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

Why is the Yucca line for thin hair the ONLY Shea Moisture label that smells like <insert expletive here>?

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• FronomenalFronomenal Posts: 712Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the Deep Treatment Masque. It's my fave leave-in conditioner. It leaves my hair soft, sheen-y and well-moisturized for days (I shampoo every 5-7 days and only moisturize weekly). I also use the Moisture Retention Shampoo. It's quite nice for a shampoo--It's doesn't strip and is slighlty moisturizing. The African Black Soap Shampoo is nice--just make sure you focus on the scalp as it can be drying.

• ThriftyCurlyThriftyCurly Posts: 12Registered Users
    I have the Moisture Retention shampoo, conditioner, and Masque and also the Smoothie.

I love them all! The Smoothie provides excellent moisture, and I use the masque also as a leave in which its awesome for also. The shampoo and conditioner is also great. I use to conditioner with some coconut oil to detangle my hair 3c/4a hair. It was probably mentioned before me, but I'm kinda lazy lol but the Smoothie has protein in it and if you're protein sensitive it can be very drying.
    I have the Moisture Retention shampoo, conditioner, and Masque and also the Smoothie.

I love them all! The Smoothie provides excellent moisture, and I use the masque also as a leave in which its awesome for also. The shampoo and conditioner is also great. I use to conditioner with some coconut oil to detangle my hair 3c/4a hair. It was probably mentioned before me, but I'm kinda lazy lol but the Smoothie has protein in it and if you're protein sensitive it can be very drying.

I'm protein sensitive but the protein in it is fine for me. I get better hold and moisture from that than most products. I guess it also depends on your hair.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App

Save $10

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• ThriftyCurlyThriftyCurly Posts: 12Registered Users

I'm protein sensitive but the protein in it is fine for me. I get better hold and moisture from that than most products. I guess it also depends on your hair.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App

Yeah, it varies and depends on the type of protein.My hair hates hydrolyzed wheat protein but loves silk protein
  • lisa6lisa6 Posts: 543Registered Users Curl Novice
    I've tried most of the products from each of the lines.
    I don't have scalp issues, so the ABS line was just O.K. for me. I use the purification mask (combined with some other conditioner) to pre-poo/detangle.
    The shampoo is the only product I liked in the organic raw shea line. I use the DTM the same way as the purification mask.
    I like the coconut and hibiscus line...wasn't too impressed with the shampoo. I use the smoothie as a leave-in and as a moisturizer on dry hair. I use the milk to twist or refresh WnGs.
    The yucca line is my favorite, since it provides moisture and strength. My hair reponds well (absorbs) all the products, and I have no issues with the smell. I use the anti-breakage mask the same way as the smoothie...haven't tried it as a DC yet, cuz I'm lazy and the other masks have been a miss. I will repurchase this line.

If I stumble across the souffle, I'm buying it.
    comic-p.jpg
    4a fine, thin, high porosity
    Poo: SM Y&B, BT TT
    C: HE Reconditioning, Suave Almond and Shea
    DC: CJ CR, CJ RM
    LI: JC DT
    Curl Cream: RN BWCC, CJ CCCC
    Gel: CJ AFG
    Refresher: SM Thickening Mist, SM Y&A Milk, CJ CIAB
    Moisturizer: CJ SL, SM CES
  • msdiva29msdiva29 Posts: 96Registered Users
    I tried the curl and style milk recently. My hair was defined but dry. I realized this product glycerin free and my hair likes glycerin. I used the smoothie & hair loves it. I would use the curl &style milk as leave in. Its a good product!

Thanks
    Diva
    Never forget to Dream ~ Madonna
    Favorites: Donna Maria SBC
    Curl Junkie BO&AC
    Shea Moisture CES
    Castor Oil
    Don't Forget to Dream! ~ Madonna
    http://www.sheamaria.com
    Twitter: Elakia
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I actually like the souffle (GASP)- not as a styler, but as a leave in. It is a GREAT curl definer. I get springy, moisturized pen spring coils with it under all my gels. Today I used the smoothie for the first time-just a bit on my damp hair before shingling in styler- I think I am in LOVE>>>>>:compress:
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • NLuvWithCurlzNLuvWithCurlz Posts: 99Registered Users
    usually when I use the dtm my hair is very soft but sometimes it can look kind of dull. When I use the souffle underneath it my hair remains shiny. I love the purification masque.........

My hair wets when water touches it !;-)
    FIERCE LOVE AND CURLS

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file