Trying to embrace my curls (w/pics)

AllSpiceAllSpice Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi :hello2:!

I'm new to curltalk. I think I'm a 3B, but I'm having trouble uploading a picture to share.

After years of hating my curly hair, I've decided to stop fighting it. I have a young child now and I think it's important to learn how to treat my hair right so that she learns to love her curly hair when she grows up.

I'm looking forward to picking up some helpful tips.
3B, fine, high porosity, highlighted hair

Comments

• creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Welcome! I was in the same boat, before going CG I hated my curls. They were never really cute and I never knew how to really take care of them. Last year I got really fed up with my lackluster flat ironed hair and needed a change. I am so glad I embraced my curls because I love them more than I ever thought I could. This website and forum is such an amazing resource for everything you could ever need to know about curls and how to take care of them. It can be overwhelming getting through all the info, but having awesome curls makes it worth it! :D
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • SailaSaila Posts: 1,212Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome! There's a lot of helpful information (and people!) around here.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    One of the more important things for you to do is to determine your hair properties. Here's a link to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html Properties are more important for determining ingredients/products then curl type. After you know yours, find folks with hair like yours and look at what they use (most have it in their signature.)

The next thing you should do is read, read, read and read some more. There is a ton of useful information. At the top of all the forums are stickies. If you haven't read them yet, it's a great starting place.

Several of the lines have children's products--you can use them, too. I actually like the KC Tiny Twists Moisturizing Styler better than the KCCC. If you stick to the more natural lines (Curl Junkie, Spiral Solutions, Donna Marie, Marie Dean, Kinky Curly, Komaza), both you and your daughter should be fine with them. My hair doesn't like chemicals, so I stick with those lines, too.

Good luck.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AllSpiceAllSpice Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the welcome and the advice.

Yes, there is a lot of information to go through, but that's one of the things that attracted me to this site.
  • elizacurls1106elizacurls1106 Posts: 20Registered Users
    Hi! I just joined too and I am new to trying to wear my hair curly. Every day is an experiment. So far I have not figured out what works best for my hair, but I am trying, trying, trying... :) Good luck.
    3b, mostly fine/normal, high/normal porosity
    Trader Joe's Shampoo and Conditioner
    Giovanni direct leavein
    Playing with: HE set me up, KCCC, Queen Helene Curl Cream, CSCK, KCKT
  • AllSpiceAllSpice Posts: 20Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Okay, I think I've figured out how to post a picture of my curls:

[URL="http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Denali_/Miscellaneous/DSCN0580.jpg]"]th_DSCN0580.jpg[/URL]

th_DSCN0586.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file