what to know about induction? what's it really like? when is it really necessary?

AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
I never thought I would have to think about this, but tomorrow I am 41 weeks pregnant and no sign of labour! Hopefully things will get started soon, but if not, my midwife has me scheduled for a fetal assessment on Tuesday and she says if things aren't moving by then they may want to discuss induction.

Induction isn't something I have thought of at all, since my son was born at 40w1d with labour starting at 40w exactly. I know my conception dates are correct so I actually am coming up on 41 weeks.

So what is induction like? What exactly do they do to you? Are there a lot of procedures and interventions? Are there different ways to do it or things you get a choice about?

I have heard that the contractions are much more painful and so it is difficult to do without pain meds, but HAVE people done it naturally? Can you move around in labour or do you have to be hooked up to machines? I am also worried about the increased risk of c-section or other interventions. Is this as much of an issue if I have already had a successful vaginal birth?

Are the risks of going past your due date really THAT bad?

I am hoping against hope labour starts sooner than later but I need to start preparing myself in case it doesn't!
Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Comments

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I was induced with # 1 at 40 w 3 d because I didn't know any better- pit and an epidural and the delivery was difficult although the labor was ok- probably because of the epidural though. In retrospect, I think the delivery was rough because he wasn't ready- I think he wasn't really in an ideal position and he hurt me on the way out.

I was induced with #2 at 40 w 0 d because of ongoing concerns about her growth and size. I was about 50% effaced when I went in in the evening. The midwife gave me cervadil with the understanding that it would soften my cervix the rest of the way and I would be given pitocin in the morning. I actually started having contractions about 2 hours after she gave the cervadil and I had the baby 4 hours after that. The contractions were really intense but I did not have any pain medication and I am still here to write about it :)

With #3, at 41 w 3 d they started to talk about induction with me. I was really resistant because it was likely my last baby and I wanted to go into labor on my own. She ended up doing an exam at the visit and baby's head was super low- she convinced me to think about coming in in the morning to have my water broken and try to get labor started. I woke up with contractions at 1:30 in the morning and baby was born at 5 am. The contractions were as intense as the ones in my second labor and even if I had planned on pain meds, there probably wouldn't have been time.

With #3, I was not worried and I was thinking about not going in the next morning to have my water broken. I had had a non stress test and an ultrasound and the baby was healthy, there was a good amount of fluid, etc.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Thanks for the info, cosmicfly!

What exactly is cervadil, and how do you take it? How about pitocin, is that through IV?

If they break your water though and contractions don't start within 24 hrs or so, doesn't that mean they'll want to do a c-section?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    Here's some info about Cervidil.

It's a vaginal insert that's a prostaglandin, so it aids in ripening the cervix. I think it is more of a labor "encourager" although in my case it was enough. Oh- the other thing was that once she removed the cervidil packet, I didn't need continuous fetal monitoring anymore, which was nice.

The pitocin was an IV. I would avoid that if not medically necessary. From my non medical perspective, having birthed 3 babies and having educated myself more each time, pitocin is overused and the artificial contractions can make labor difficult.

I was told that if my contractions didn't start 24 hrs after breaking my water, I would be given pitocin. My midwife didn't put that on the table until the baby was in 0 station (or maybe lower) and in a good position, she indicated that it was often less effective if the baby wasn't ready to go.

With baby #3, who was born 11 days late, I got good advice from RCW- spend lots of time on your hands and knees sort of rocking your hips- scrubbing the floor works unfortunately well for this. It encourages the baby into the left occiput anterior position and encourages the baby to descend into the pelvis.

Sending you good labor vibes- your baby will be here soon!
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I was induced with S.

I had the cervidil at about 8pm at night, and I believe they started pitocon around midnight.

A lot will depend on the hospital. I had to stay hooked up to the IV (obviously since the pit it through that) and they track contractions and fetal heartbeat. While you can still move around a little, I found it to be too big of a pain, especially when a contraction would hit and I had what felt like 5 millions wires coming from me (not really that many, but it sure felt like it)

I was not contracting well until my water broke (on its own) around 4:45 pm the next day. that is when my contractions got bad. I was 2 when I went in and I barely made it to four when I got my epidural from not even being able to stand the pain. The artificial contractions from S's birth were night and day compaired to the natural contractions I had with C's birth (when I did not know I was actually in labor).
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • my3curliesmy3curlies Posts: 161Registered Users
    I was induced with all 3 of my kids. The 1st was with doctors and I ended up with a csection (stalled labor). My 2nd with a midwife and I had a vbac. My 3rd was also with a midwife and my baby actually pushed herself out my pelvis and wedged her head under my ribs resulting in a csection. Each time I was 42 weeks with no signs of labor. I can't say if contractions were worse since I never had any on my own. With my 2nd I got the epidural but it didn't work so I guess you can say I did it natural. Since you have a midwife they will definitely let you move around as much as you want, if they give you pitocin you'll just be hooked up to an IV. Since you've had a baby before your body should respond to being induced. Remember you always have a say in what does or doesn't happen.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    :!::!: Under Construction :!::!:
    OK, so as time goes by I've been reading more about this. I had a fetal assessment yesterday and everything was fine and the tech said she's comfortable not doing anything till Friday (still holding out for delivery by then.) But I keep hearing how dangerous it is to continue pregnancy past 42 weeks. I'm not sure I'm seeing evidence of that. IF it comes to that, and I really hope it doesn't, anyone have any experience, or know anyone, or read anything, about what to do? Can I refuse induction? What do I do?

.png

534Pm5.png

The one thing I've been told is to think of the placenta as a temporary organ. After a while it will start to deteriorate and won't provide adequate nutrients and oxygen to the baby and could separate from the uterus. There's also the risks associated with baby being to big to fit. Not trying to scare you or anything I've just been in this situation. Hope everything works out for you
    Oh have you tried any of the "natural" methods to start labor or had your membranes swept?

my3curlies wrote: »
    The one thing I've been told is to think of the placenta as a temporary organ. After a while it will start to deteriorate and won't provide adequate nutrients and oxygen to the baby and could separate from the uterus. There's also the risks associated with baby being to big to fit. Not trying to scare you or anything I've just been in this situation. Hope everything works out for you
    Oh have you tried any of the "natural" methods to start labor or had your membranes swept?

I was told those reasons too - about the placenta getting old and the big baby - but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they definitely happen at 42 weeks on (or that a big baby is an issue - people have big babies earlier too and survive don't they?)

I have not had my membranes swept - sounds painful and then doesn't that open me to infection/being on the clock if my water breaks?

Natural methods - I think I am going to start some of them today. Which ones did you have in mind?

.png

534Pm5.png

I've had my membrane swept and to me it wasn't that bad, about as uncomfortable as having your cervix checked. There was some cramping and spotting but that was it. There's a recipe for "labor cookies", I've never tried those but I hear they taste like spicy ginger snaps. I mixed castor oil with a little ice cream. Not sure how you feel about that but if you try it make sure you have some gatoraid or something so you don't get dehydrated. There's always walking or sex. I'm sure there's more but that's all I can think of.
    There has to be some medical law or something detailing patients rights I'd check with your midwife or the hospital
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Amneris wrote: »

Natural methods - I think I am going to start some of them today. Which ones did you have in mind?

Two friends who were past 41 weeks had babies within hours of having sex.

I would assume having an orgasm (penetration not necessary of course! Could imagine you might not be up to that) could get things moving!

Good luck :)
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • CocoaCoilyCocoaCoily Posts: 2,648Registered Users
    I was induced with my last baby. I was 39w4d. Started the pitocin at around 10am, got the epidural at around 11:30, fully dilated at 2:20, delivered at 2:26.

Everything went like clockwork.

Prior to the induction, I had my membranes swept twice, with no reaction, not one contraction, even after taking an hour long walk. Tried orgasm to induce labor. Nothing. Did hands and knees, and rotated on an exercise ball. Nothing. Though I do believe that the last two things helped with the delivery.
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    I wouldn't try the castor oil. I've heard/read it can cause the baby to pass meconium which could lead to meconium aspiration. When I was searching for ways to get my labor started I read way too many horror stories about the castor oil trick.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using CurlTalk App
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I think medussa mentioned chick parmesan...
    and, of course, the s-e-x

:happy4:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• B-Nessa11B-Nessa11 Posts: 1,050Registered Users
    I'm 39 weeks and only 1 n a half cm dilated and the nurse told me I can get an induction. I'm leaning towards doing it. It's my first baby and I'm ready for her to get here. My fiance took off work so he could be here and I'm just ready!
    The nurse was feeling my cervix so hard I think she helped my contractions start lol after that app I've been contracting like every night. Ironically though, I didn't have any contractions the last time I had an orgasm lol.

Who's My Hair?
    3c/4a-b looking stuff lol
    BC- May 16, 2010
    Why I chopped: heat damage/breakage
    Luv'd my permed hair I just didnt take care of it.
    LUVVV my natural hair!!! :iconbiggrin:
    So I went to the OB today (midwife referred me) and she did a check and apparently my cervix is "unfavourable" - long, thick and closed - though she did admit that that could quickly change. She said she would not try to induce me today or I would end up with a section - so I have an ultrasound tomorrow and she suggested coming in on Sunday night to try the gel if nothing has happened by then, but I also have the choice to just wait. I'm so stressed - don't know what to do.

BNessa - why do they suggest an induction at only 39 weeks for a first baby? Is there a medical reason? From what I read, your chances of a c-section are about 45% with an elective induction with a first baby.

.png

534Pm5.png

If you get the gel will they let you go home? If so I'd go for it. All it does really is ripen the cervix and who knows it might get the ball rolling for you.
    So I went to the OB today (midwife referred me) and she did a check and apparently my cervix is "unfavourable" - long, thick and closed - though she did admit that that could quickly change. She said she would not try to induce me today or I would end up with a section - so I have an ultrasound tomorrow and she suggested coming in on Sunday night to try the gel if nothing has happened by then, but I also have the choice to just wait. I'm so stressed - don't know what to do.

BNessa - why do they suggest an induction at only 39 weeks for a first baby? Is there a medical reason? From what I read, your chances of a c-section are about 45% with an elective induction with a first baby.

my3curlies wrote: »
    If you get the gel will they let you go home? If so I'd go for it. All it does really is ripen the cervix and who knows it might get the ball rolling for you.

Yes, they apply it and monitor you for an hour or two and if you are tolerating it ok they send you home and labour may start on its own - if not they may try it again the next day.

.png

534Pm5.png

• StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Just wanted to say good luck and I hope things happen for you the way you want!! Ive been thinking about you lately...
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

BNessa - why do they suggest an induction at only 39 weeks for a first baby? Is there a medical reason? From what I read, your chances of a c-section are about 45% with an elective induction with a first baby.[/QUOTE]

They told me my cervix is unfavorable and it would mostly b a personal choice if I do it. Honestly I'm tired of waiting! The nurses told me that if I dilate more by my next appointment the chances for a c section will be lower. I have a feeling that once they get me goin the labor will go the way I plan.

Ithink I've progressed more because I've been contracting on and off since monday with both painful and non painful hits. In their defense, they told me ican just wait n see if she comes on her own and not forgo the risk of a c section. But I'm not worried, and actually I think we should get her out because its not feeling the same...idk how to describe it. The baby is moving ok, maybe Ijust feel like I've been preggo for too long lol Idunno.
    Oh an then since my fiance is a truck driver and won't b home for long I want the baby to get here,spend time with him and let him help settle me before he goes back on the road. Hopefully our little girl won't have a problem with that!
    Who's My Hair?
    BC- May 16, 2010
    B-Nessa11 wrote: »

They told me my cervix is unfavorable and it would mostly b a personal choice if I do it. Honestly I'm tired of waiting! The nurses told me that if I dilate more by my next appointment the chances for a c section will be lower. I have a feeling that once they get me goin the labor will go the way I plan.

Ithink I've progressed more because I've been contracting on and off since monday with both painful and non painful hits. In their defense, they told me ican just wait n see if she comes on her own and not forgo the risk of a c section. But I'm not worried, and actually I think we should get her out because its not feeling the same...idk how to describe it. The baby is moving ok, maybe Ijust feel like I've been preggo for too long lol Idunno.
    Oh an then since my fiance is a truck driver and won't b home for long I want the baby to get here,spend time with him and let him help settle me before he goes back on the road. Hopefully our little girl won't have a problem with that!
    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

I've been having painful Braxton Hicks since January, to the point that I sometimes wondered if I was in premature labour, and they have been almost constant for the past 2 weeks or so and my cervix had not changed at all yesterday! But I hope it all works out for you!

.png

534Pm5.png

Thanks girl! I hope things work out for you too. Sorry about those hicks, I've been getting some painful ones too, not cool! Let me kno how things go and be blessed :)

Who's My Hair?
    BC- May 16, 2010
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    You're still pregnant? I'm so sorry! You must be miserable.
    On to topic of induction. Induction can be hell! My contractions started at 2 minutes apart and only got closer and many times were right on top of each other so often, the nurse would run in to check on me. OMG it was horrible.
    After 23 hours of HELL, I was given the option of continuing or a c-section to stop it all. Since my dr refused an epidural, I opted for a the c-section to stop the agony. Let me say that I have an amazing tolerance for pain and am a tough girl- especially then... pitocin kicked my butt.

The pitocin was administered via IV in my arm. I had to be monitored continuously along with a blood pressure cuff that stayed on the entire time. I still remember how annoying that was. BP was taken every 30 minutes.

After being induced once, I would NEVER be induced again without an epidural. I have labored naturally (my 2nd child was a VBAC) and it was nothing like the induction. Having labored for so long, then having a c-section with general anesthesia was hell. Recovery was slow and incredibly painful. I was told much slower and much more painful than an elective c-section.
    On to the topic of starting labor naturally.. here's some info I found
    I would avoid the castor oil because of the possible meconium passing. My second child passed meconium and it wasn't good. She had to receive respiratory therapy the moment her head came out and they pounded and suctioned her for hours after. It was scary! Thankfully, my labor progressed quickly (10 hours) and I avoided a c-section with her.

Does Sex Induce Labor?
    Some natural way to start labor- nipple stimulation and sex.
    Nipple Stimulation- nipple stimulation may also have play a part in that it is known to release oxytocin, the hormone that causes contractions. In addition, orgasms produce oxytocin. So, between these factors, it is reasonable to suspect some stimulation of labor can occur from intercourse.

Semen contains a high proportion of prostaglandins, which cause the cervix to "ripen", or soften and prepare to open. Sex can help the cervix to dilate and efface by depositing these prostaglandins on the cervix.

Natural Ways to Induce Labor
    You're still pregnant? I'm so sorry! You must be miserable.
    On to topic of induction. Induction can be hell! My contractions started at 2 minutes apart and only got closer and many times were right on top of each other so often, the nurse would run in to check on me. OMG it was horrible.
    After 23 hours of HELL, I was given the option of continuing or a c-section to stop it all. Since my dr refused an epidural, I opted for a the c-section to stop the agony. Let me say that I have an amazing tolerance for pain and am a tough girl- especially then... pitocin kicked my butt.

The pitocin was administered via IV in my arm. I had to be monitored continuously along with a blood pressure cuff that stayed on the entire time. I still remember how annoying that was. BP was taken every 30 minutes.

After being induced once, I would NEVER be induced again without an epidural. I have labored naturally (my 2nd child was a VBAC) and it was nothing like the induction. Having labored for so long, then having a c-section with general anesthesia was hell. Recovery was slow and incredibly painful. I was told much slower and much more painful than an elective c-section.
    On to the topic of starting labor naturally.. here's some info I found
    I would avoid the castor oil because of the possible meconium passing. My second child passed meconium and it wasn't good. She had to receive respiratory therapy the moment her head came out and they pounded and suctioned her for hours after. It was scary! Thankfully, my labor progressed quickly (10 hours) and I avoided a c-section with her.

Does Sex Induce Labor?
    Some natural way to start labor- nipple stimulation and sex.
    Nipple Stimulation- nipple stimulation may also have play a part in that it is known to release oxytocin, the hormone that causes contractions. In addition, orgasms produce oxytocin. So, between these factors, it is reasonable to suspect some stimulation of labor can occur from intercourse.

Semen contains a high proportion of prostaglandins, which cause the cervix to "ripen", or soften and prepare to open. Sex can help the cervix to dilate and efface by depositing these prostaglandins on the cervix.

Natural Ways to Induce Labor

Y in the would did he refuse your epidural? That sounds horrible

Who's My Hair?
    BC- May 16, 2010
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users

You have NO idea. The induction was the most painful thing I've ever experienced! 23 hours of hell!
    I never dilated past 3 cm and at the end, I went back to 2cm because my cervix swelled. My dr believed that you needed to be 4 cm for an epidural to be started.

You have NO idea. The induction was the most painful thing I've ever experienced! 23 hours of hell!
    I never dilated past 3 cm and at the end, I went back to 2cm because my cervix swelled. My dr believed that you needed to be 4 cm for an epidural to be started.
    Wow that is crazy. I went in the other day for bleeding and they were going to give me pain meds right there if i wanted and my contractions weren't super strong. They sent me home cuz I was still at 1.5cm but effaced more so I still wana get my induction,hopefully tuesday. I guess I'm going.to have to risk the csection. I hope they don't try n do me like that or the hubby will have to put his foot on the doctor's neck for me!

Who's My Hair?
    BC- May 16, 2010
    OK, I still have to pull it together to share the full story, but I would say NO to induction unless it is absolutely necessary and full information is given, having started the process myself - I got the gel and went home and went into labour so fast that I almost delivered my son at home with no professional help and he was born in an ambulance - a lot of tearing to me and he is totally shocked and the whole family is freaked out and still trying to catch our breath. Apparently I'm not the first person that happened to, but nobody bothered to tell me this before and when I called in asking if this much and intense pain was normal no one really helped me. So if you induce with prostaglandin gel and are discharged, be VERY careful!!!!

.png

534Pm5.png

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    OK, I still have to pull it together to share the full story, but I would say NO to induction unless it is absolutely necessary and full information is given, having started the process myself - I got the gel and went home and went into labour so fast that I almost delivered my son at home with no professional help and he was born in an ambulance - a lot of tearing to me and he is totally shocked and the whole family is freaked out and still trying to catch our breath. Apparently I'm not the first person that happened to, but nobody bothered to tell me this before and when I called in asking if this much and intense pain was normal no one really helped me. So if you induce with prostaglandin gel and are discharged, be VERY careful!!!!

wow. that was fast. i read where these gels take anywhere from 6 to 12 hours to take effect. that must have been a scary ordeal. i hope you and the wee one are ok. is it true that those induction gels are derived from pig, sheep, or cow semen?
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    rainshower wrote: »
    is it true that those induction gels are derived from pig, sheep, or cow semen?

I wonder if that's why sex is recommended? Sort of a natural gel??

ETA ~ Found this....
    As for prostaglandin gels, you may be surprised to discover that they are not approved for labor induction either.
    There are various types of gels:
    Dinoprostone: The manufacturer of this very product warns "Prostin E2 vaginal suppository should not be used for cervical ripening."
    Prepidil and Cervidil both are made of Dinoprostone.
    Here is another tidbit which you may want to know BEFORE an induction. Dinoprostone is made with a "natural" occurring prostaglandin. Has anyone asked: "where this said prostaglanding comes from?"
    You will be happy to know that the "natural" claim is true. Dinoprostone is made from a base of semen! The semen of choice is pig but the gel could be made of bull semen or human semen as well. We don't know about you but none of those options appeal to us. Sex is still the best way to get prostaglandin where it needs to be while bypassing pig, bull and some unknown human(s).
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    They did not really tell me what was in the gels other than prostaglandins, and in response to any of my concerns I got fear mongering that my baby was going to die if I didn't induce which combined with the fear mongering from family members was really hard to resist - I totally see why people get talked into all kinds of things not in their best interests with regards to pregnancy, labour and delivery and health in general. We did try getting prostaglandins naturally too :profileright: -not the most fun at 42 weeks pregnant! - so maybe my system was overloaded. I think I probably was in early labour for a while and was progressing on my own by the time they did the gel and so it just hyped up what would have happened naturally and made it that much more stressful on me and baby. Still, I guess it is preferable to a long painful induction with pitocin and a possible section at the end, which is more what I was concerned about the whole time.

.png

534Pm5.png

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I got the gel and went home and went into labour so fast that I almost delivered my son at home with no professional help and he was born in an ambulance

My goodness!

I suggest a midwife and planned homebirth next time.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file