Can we resolve this once and for all?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Is it or is it not completely unacceptabe to loudly cough/hack/snort/bleet/gurgle sputum in the back of one's throat/nose/mouth/sinus cavity in an office setting? I think this has come up before and I don't remember what was decided.

What is a person supposed to do when faced with this type of behavior/disruption/distraction/biological process?

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LOL...no, it's not acceptable.

I'm passive aggressive...I wouldn't confront directly. I'd probably make a disgusted face or say "ewwwwwwwwww..." every time the person did it.
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    No definitely not.

Or, really, anywhere in public, in my opinion.

My boyfriend had a guy in his history class who would hock loogies, loudly, and then swallow them.

Please excuse me while I vomit.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I would hand-deliver a box of tissues. I loathe that sound.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    LOL...no, it's not acceptable.

I'm passive aggressive...I wouldn't confront directly. I'd probably make a disgusted face or say "ewwwwwwwwww..." every time the person did it.

LOL my coworker does it and I always saw eww, even when someone burps. We're just joking though. We're not so uptight here, thankfully. Gotta do what you gotta do, but in the winter when it gets really bad, sometimes I'll step outside the office and maybe go to the restroom.

For the original question, it depends on your office. Current and last job it's acceptable, I mean you're just clearing your throat? And if you have a cough you can't get up every time, geezus!!
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    It depends... clearing the throat = ok. Getting ready to spit mucus somewhere? Not as much.

I'm usually opposed to being at work w/ a cough at all, but this year there has been a nasty bug which lingers for weeks as a cough after sickness is over so everyone's coughing! The guy with a snotty nose who resists being a temporary mouth breather, so we're all aware what's going on in his nose each time he breathes in and out? Inappropriate, and I'm surprised HR hasn't made him go home.

I stayed home a day and a half this week w/ a runny nose which didn't want to stop. Because really, why would I not want to get better quickly...and why would anyone want me here like that?

Sent from my "smart"phone. Please excuse typos!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    :laughing8:
    Gross! I can't even stand when the guys who play baseball do all that spitting..wtf are y'all doing?! :confused1:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I'd say the difference is the dryness of the cough. Dry cough/clearing throat is just annoying. Hocking up mucus is just disgusting. The worst is when you're in a movie theatre and someone sits behind you and does that--you feel like you're going to leave with your hair full of snot.

I will still come to work if I'm sniffling, because I have allergies, and it's not contagious. It might be annoying, but I'm not actually sick. I don't work in a cubicle environment, though. And of course, I try to do everything I can to combat the allergy attack, but it happens several times a year.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    This is an unresolved issue? Really??? :confused1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    misspam wrote: »
    This is an unresolved issue? Really??? :confused1:
    This. lol.

A quick clearing of the throat is ok, as NetG said. But anything over, let's say, 2 seconds is not OK. I have a coworker who has chronic bronchitis, asthma and smokes. I finally told him one day to stop. Go outside on the lawn. Go to the bathroom. Just go away.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had minor surgery last month and the husband of the lady in the next room was hacking and snorting for an hour. It was disgusting. I told SO if he was that sick someone else should have brought her. Yuck.

I'm constantly telling my 8yo to stop snorting it up and blow his nose. I hate it.
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I generally tune out things I don't wanna hear. I'd rather a hacking snorting coughing person than someone who complains all day long and wants me to engage their misery.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    To clarify: I didn't mean the random or occasioonal snort. I mean, a constant, on-going habit that lasts the entire day.

The person I have in mind claims she has acid reflux. Well, I've had acid reflux and I know other people who have acid reflux...and it doesn't make any sense that they would recycle their phlegm all day because of acid reflux.

Couldn't they be asked to bring in a spitoon to keep under their desk or something?

• mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    :laughing8:
    Gross! I can't even stand when the guys who play baseball do all that spitting..wtf are y'all doing?! :confused1:
    Chewing tobacco or sunflower seeds? It's usually not just phlegm.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    To clarify: I didn't mean the random or occasioonal snort. I mean, a constant, on-going habit that lasts the entire day.

The person I have in mind claims she has acid reflux. Well, I've had acid reflux and I know other people who have acid reflux...and it doesn't make any sense that they would recycle their phlegm all day because of acid reflux.

Couldn't they be asked to bring in a spitoon to keep under their desk or something?
    Actually, it does. I have laryngopharyngeal - or silent - reflux, which may be what she has too. It doesn't generally cause heartburn. It can make you feel like you have something in your throat, as well as excessive phlegm, which of course leads to continual throat clearing. I ahem-ahemed for 3 weeks straight once, thinking I had popcorn stuck in my throat. Then I was diagnosed.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Phoenix wrote: »

Actually, it does. I have laryngopharyngeal - or silent - reflux, which may be what she has too. It doesn't generally cause heartburn. It can make you feel like you have something in your throat, as well as excessive phlegm, which of course leads to continual throat clearing. I ahem-ahemed for 3 weeks straight once, thinking I had popcorn stuck in my throat. Then I was diagnosed.

Interesting. I didn't know.

So you feel like something is caught in your throat but nothing is? Is there anything you can do or take for that sensation to go away?

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    PPI maybe? :dontknow:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

Phoenix wrote: »

Interesting. I didn't know.

So you feel like something is caught in your throat but nothing is? Is there anything you can do or take for that sensation to go away?
    Yep. The traditional reflux medicines work because the core problem is the same: acid backing up the esophagus. My doc prescribed Prilosec. The acid causes irritation that feels like a foreign body in your throat. Reduce the acid and the feeling goes away.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file