ACV for toenail fungus?

solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Anyone have any luck using ACV for toenail fungus? Online searching says it's a viable homemade treatment.
Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97

Comments

• ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Didn't work for me.

Curious if it has for others.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ND, what did work for you?
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    Lamisil in pill form cleared up most of it (thanks, scuzzy Northwestern University pool showers!), but it made me rreeeeeeeaaaaaallllllllyyyyyy queasy. However, that could be because I had Hep A years ago, and Lamisil can affect the liver.

Also, the truth is my toenails have never been the same (since catching a fungus), sadly. I have to paint them in the summer, because they're icky-looking.
    Thanks... I was hoping to avoid taking an oral medication.

I usually keep my toes painted year-round because I like the way it looks, and I'm especially pained that I have to take off the polish (at least just on my big toe) now that sandal weather is (almost) here.

I'm willing to try a topical med, but I would have preferred a natural remedy.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    I've heard something about baking soda, but that didn't work for me, either.
    I've heard Listerine and tea tree oil too. I'm willing to try the tea tree oil because I know it works on other skin problems! Listerine, not so much.
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've heard tea tree oil works, but it takes months and you need to be diligent about applying it regularly and often. I think that would apply to all natural remedies...they will all take time and diligence.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've tried everything through the years and it always comes back. The meds are very stressful for your liver.

I read about Miranel in Dr. Gott's column several years ago. Miranel Antifungal Treatment For Foot & Toe Infections It's very hard to find on the ground. I've gotten the best results from using this.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    Vick's Vapo-Rub works really well. It had my dad's cleared up almost all the way, until he stopped using it and it came back.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
    Right! I've heard that about Vicks, too. I should try it now, in the spring. How long did he use it before seeing any effect, Kenzie (if you recall)?
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    kathymack wrote: »
    I've tried everything through the years and it always comes back. The meds are very stressful for your liver.

I read about Miranel in Dr. Gott's column several years ago. Miranel Antifungal Treatment For Foot & Toe Infections It's very hard to find on the ground. I've gotten the best results from using this.

I read the ingredients on that site, and it contains miconazole nitrate...the same ingredient in Monistat vaginal yeast cream. You can buy Monistat at any drug store...cheaper too.
    If Vick's doesn't work, I will!

Thanks for pointing that out.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ACV didn't work for my mom, but I don't know how religious she was about using it.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • kenzie!kenzie! Posts: 5,055Registered Users
    Oh, it started getting a little better in a week. By the end of a month (maybe 2?) it was all but gone, so dad decided to be smart and stop using it. It's back full-force, but my uncle used it for a month past when he could see any visible fungus, and he hasn't had his return.
    Rock Chalk Baby!! If you aren't from Kansas, you just won't understand!

Dame Kenz Matilda Jayhawk-Rocksalt, heir to the family diamonds.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    kathymack wrote: »

I read the ingredients on that site, and it contains miconazole nitrate...the same ingredient in Monistat vaginal yeast cream. You can buy Monistat at any drug store...cheaper too.

Thanks. I just searched miconazole nitrate--and you can buy generics at the same 2% strength. I'll have to buy them and try it. Especially since DH has started using this, too.

ETA. Forgot to add that I've used the Vicks with no success. I've used just about everything. Even have a prescription antifungal, Econazole Nitrate 1%, that I doesn't work as well.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Tea Tree Oil is the only thing that worked for me. I would apply it several times a day and would keep clipping my nail as it was growing out.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    Hmmm, now I'm torn between Monistat and tea tree oil.

Sent from my DROIDX using CurlTalk App
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    this person says he cured his fungus with Nonyx gel.

http://www.gimme-five.com/2008/04/the-complete-guide-to-getting-rid-of-fingernail-and-toenail-fungus/

I just finished my 3rd month of lamisil pills and I'm pretty happy with the progress so far. My big toe was the worst and it's already a bit clearer.
    one day at a time..
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I've used tea tree oil and ACV, and both have worked for me equally well. As others have said, you have to apply consistently for them to work.

For the ACV, I'd mix 1 TBSP ACV with 8 oz. water in a spray bottle & spray it on my toes daily after showering, then let air dry. For the TTO, I'd "paint" it on all my toenails (not just the affected ones) daily with a cotton swab and let air dry. (I wasn't doing both of these at the same time. I started with TTO, then decided to experiment with ACV and found it worked fine also.)

And for the record, you can wear nail polish while you're treating your toes, I've done it successfully. After applying the TTO or ACV to bare toenails, let it dry/absorb completely, then paint the nails with nail polish as you normally would. On subsequent days, either spray with ACV or paint all around the nails with TTO. Worked fine.

Now that my nails are back to normal, I use TTO once a week for maintenance. So far, so good. :icon_smile:
  • HelgaWade009HelgaWade009 Posts: 1Registered Users
    My friend had tried ACV on her nail fungus and it worked pretty well for her. What she did was heat the ACV until it's lukewarm and soak her feet in the solution for half an hour everyday. Aside from ACV, she also used liquid treatment called Fungusil. By the way, avoid wearing nail polish if you have toenail fungus because it can worsen your condition. The microbes causing the nail fungus thrive in damp and dark places, and by applying nail polish on your infected nails, you are reinforcing the microbes to have a good breeding ground.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I tried TTO with my "Old man's toe" and it worked great. I kept polish on it to hide the disgusting look of it and I didn't have any problem. I would put the TTO around the cuticle and over the underneath part of the nail on the top. Polish didn't cause any problems. Polish is on top of your nail and that's not where the fungus is. It's underneath the nail.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • mopsymopsy Posts: 153Registered Users
    How often did you apply the TTO? Do you buy it straight, or is it in some formulation? Vicks didn't work for me, the oral meds sound scary (my doctor won't even prescribe them) and I'm willing to try (almost) anything!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file