Graduation Hair--from ceremony to party

creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
So, I did a search on this topic in the forums but only came across results for 4a curlies, which I am not.

Next month is my commencement for my Bachelor's Degree- FINALLY!

My concern is that I have a departmental ceremony at 9 am, the main commencement at 12pm and then a party thrown by my family at 6pm, with no guaranteed time between each event to fix my hair. So my questions are as follows:

1) How should I wear my hair under the cap? I don't look great with my hair back, but don't want hair to stick out from under the cap and look stupid either. I wore my hair straight to my HS graduation 5 years ago, so I can't draw on that experience.

2) How can I style my hair in the morning to help it stay looking nice all day? What can I do to prevent flat hair on top after I take my cap off? I am worried that all the events will run together and I will have no time to refresh my hair.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I want to look good in pictures and feel awesome on that day. The next three weeks are going to be super stressful, so I want my graduation day to be fun and chill.
Curl Style: 3b/3c
Texture: Fine
Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
RO: GVP CB
Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG

Comments

• MojoDojoMojoDojo Posts: 702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd suggest styling your hair down, get it to dry as much as possible (fully dry is best). Then tilt your head upside down, then stretch the elastic over the curls and basically tuck your curls in that way (kinda like plopping I guess). The elastic on the cap should hold the curls in, and if I recall, caps aren't that heavy, so you could place it so it's not pushing down on your head/curls. That should prevent flat top.

I'd recommend not doing any kind of a half-up style. Putting the cap on top of that will emphasize the flatness of the top of the style (I know from hard-hatting it at work). If you aren't taking the cap on and off too many you should be fine (too many times will cause frizz). Other then that I'd just recommend not touching your hair too much.
    I AM THE NEANDERTHAL SLAYER!!!
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Awesome, thanks! I get my cap and gown next week so I'll have some time to experiment with different styles.

Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
  • martina mcnellymartina mcnelly Posts: 6Registered Users
    I had exactly that problem when I graduated. I ended up straightening, because the hair just poufed out under the tight cap otherwise.

It sounds like you'll have to do what you have to do to get your hair to look acceptable under the cap. Since it will probably be flattened afterwards, I'd try spritzing the canopy with some water and then your curl reviver product of choice and diffusing with your head upside down to get the volume back at the roots, then restyle.

Good luck, and congratulations!

CurlyBetty
    I had exactly that problem when I graduated. I ended up straightening, because the hair just poufed out under the tight cap otherwise.

It sounds like you'll have to do what you have to do to get your hair to look acceptable under the cap. Since it will probably be flattened afterwards, I'd try spritzing the canopy with some water and then your curl reviver product of choice and diffusing with your head upside down to get the volume back at the roots, then restyle.

Good luck, and congratulations!

CurlyBetty

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to mess around when I get my cap next week and see what works. I am going to try to not straighten it, but can if it comes to that.

• Curly BettyCurly Betty Posts: 12Registered Users
    Oh, I just had another idea for graduation cap hair! But it depends where on your head you'd be wearing the cap.

Are you planning to wear it like this?
    Graduation+Cap-+Gilmore+Girls.jpg (image)

Or way back on your head, like these girls?
    Graduation+Cap-+MKA.jpg (image)

If you're wearing it flat (first pic) on your head, maybe you could try taking a large top section of hair and pinning it back so there's less volume on the sides.

For further back on your head, you might be able to style your hair as normal. I just remembered this quarter-up style that might look good under a cap.

Weekend Hairstyle Idea: Hair That's Not Half-Up, But More Like 1/4-Up: Girls in the Beauty Department: Beauty: glamour.com

But whatevs you do, your hair is so gorgeous and healthy anyway :-)
    CurlyBetty.com
    Curly Hair, Straight Up
    3A
    Oh, I just had another idea for graduation cap hair! But it depends where on your head you'd be wearing the cap.

Are you planning to wear it like this?
    Graduation+Cap-+Gilmore+Girls.jpg (image)

Or way back on your head, like these girls?
    Graduation+Cap-+MKA.jpg (image)

If you're wearing it flat (first pic) on your head, maybe you could try taking a large top section of hair and pinning it back so there's less volume on the sides.

For further back on your head, you might be able to style your hair as normal. I just remembered this quarter-up style that might look good under a cap.

Weekend Hairstyle Idea: Hair That's Not Half-Up, But More Like 1/4-Up: Girls in the Beauty Department: Beauty: glamour.com

But whatevs you do, your hair is so gorgeous and healthy anyway :-)

Thanks for the advice, and the compliment :)
    I think I might try wearing the cap further back on my head, never thought of that before. For my HS graduation I wore my cap right on top of my head, like Rory's in the picture, and it looked kind of stupid on me. Next week when I get all the regalia I'll start experimenting.

Just got my cap and gown!! Now its hitting me that I'm actually graduating.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file