lastest version of curly girl book: more ?s about process w/ pics

luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
for those that have read the 2nd, newer edition curly girl book and are following the recommended technique for african american hair with success how long did it take for you to see a change in your hair (as the author of that sections says will happen if you follow the routine)?

how often do you repeat the steps?

do you use a leave in conditioner or a regular (light) conditioner to get the results?

i am like the girl in the story, i rely on 2 strand twists to achieve my cutest hair styles but i want to change that and have more "out" everyday hair but i don't know where to begin. the steps seem easy enough although maybe more time consuming but i don't know if it will really work on my hair. i'm 4b with some 4a i suppose.

for those that haven't read the section she basically talks about a process to use an organic conditioner in your hair, lightly rinsing and leaving a good amount of conditioner in, smoothing with your hands and diffusing a little to dry.
a dreamy pisces :fish:
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural

Comments

• P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw a change in about 2 weeks. I'm more kinky than coily with lots of shrinkage. I like the CG regi because of the gel step...It cut down on tangling and shrinkage. Also the habit of more watering has been awesome ... that whole"once a week wash day" wasn't adequate water exposure for my hair at all!

My modification is that I divide my hair into sections and clip them up as I do the steps. I'm also still weaning from the brush. I'm down to once a month while finger/hand detangling the rest of the time.

Sent from my iPhone ~ YippieKiYay, MddrFqr!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    p.p. thank you and your hair looks good in the avatar!!! see i don't use gel. it doesn't work for me. i wonder if it will work for me without gel. i sorta forgot about that step. i need to re-read the steps. her hair transformation looks great. i've been curly girl regarding products for years but for me i think more water and technique might be what i'm missing...

p.p. were you doing the routine in this pic?

i hope others weigh in...
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    p.p. thank you and your hair looks good in the avatar!!! see i don't use gel. it doesn't work for me. i wonder if it will work for me without gel. i sorta forgot about that step. i need to re-read the steps. her hair transformation looks great. i've been curly girl regarding products for years but for me i think more water and technique might be what i'm missing...

Thanks! Yeah I'd started CG then. I'd never really cared for gel before. I tried aloe vera gel when I cut my hair but wasn't in love.

The gel cast thing rocks my world because i'm terrified of tangles. If not for the gel step I'd probably have to braid or twist it for control , esp @ night. If you have less shrinkage , then doing it more like Conditioner Only/Tightly Curly method should be totally cool.

I really think the extra water soaks are a huge plus!

- Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wish I could weigh in more...but I do a VERY modified CG routine...I use shampoo, but not sulfates, and use ROs with cones sometimes, but I don't think it is an issue since I am cleansing thoroughly. I agree with PP about the gel cast...even when it softens up, it still prevents against tangles. My hair seems to be doing quite well...but I can't say how long it took my hair to change b/c I have been modified CG since I decided to go natural. At first I was strict CG, but now I'll throw a cone in every now and then. Oh, and I definitely use a comb and brush because I need to get shed hairs out. I have more than enough hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think my change took some weeks to show because of my heat damage. I've been doing it for 4 months but not consistently because I'd use a sulfate or low sulfate sometimes because I KEPT finding buildup on my scalp. The CG method only did something for the appearance of my hair, not the actual condition of it. I still had dryness. My hair LOOKED great. Perhaps my conditioners weren't natural enough.

I would use mainly regular conditioner as opposed to a leave in. ( Mainly because I had trouble finding a good cone free leave in on the ground) But I would use a very small amount. If I didn't rinse all the conditioner out then it would be whatever the water didn't rinse away which was a lot.

I repeated the process every time I felt like it so probably 3-5 times a week. But diffusing is not a routine part of that.

And to the last part, I think CG can apply to any curl type. It worked on my hair and I have 4b sections.*

Ditto what everyone else said about th gel cast and tangling. However, tangling is another reason I won't be following cg 100%. the front of my mats up somethin terrifying.*

For me I'm about to stop doing CG altogether despite the great looking curls because I don't think it promotes scalp health. I SWEAR my hair is thinner now than when I was washing with sulfates conditioning with cones then blowing it out and straightening it every week. I think having conditioner, however much, just stay on your scalp or rubbing it in like that when cowashing is counterproductive to growth. I think it's messin with my follicles. there are certain sections of my head that never passed the scratch test. even when I made a scalp scrub it didn't stay gunk free for a week. Plus, for me to detangle my hair, I need cones. The slip just hasn't been there with the stuff I've tried.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^Lanisha, I definitely agree with you about cowashing, but I interpreted being CG as being sulfate free, but you can still use a cleanser. Perhaps I am more liberal with it...lol.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^Lanisha, I definitely agree with you about cowashing, but I interpreted being CG as being sulfate free, but you can still use a cleanser. Perhaps I am more liberal with it...lol.

CG as defined by Massey is avoidance of sulfates, silicones and also straightening (heat tools other than a diffuser). For some reason it's been twisted to something else but that's the original definition based on the first book.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
    I just got the first book to compare w/the current. Really different, esp the afro-textured pages. There'd be nothing for me in that 1st one unless I ignored the Afro chapter and modified the bigcurly regi.?

So so glad the book was updated!
    Texturizers, braids, and strawsets.. ?No thanks, the 90s are over. :laughing9:

- Jean Cocteau

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice

can you go into detail about the watering aspect please?

Im CG for the most part 95% , I use one conditioner that has a cone but not on the regular. I do shampoo every now and again but only to clarify. I mainly cowash 99% of the time. I cant leave in my conditioner though even if its organic , my scalp itches something fierce
    thanks for the feedback!!! i'm really excited to try this new way of doing things. i agree the difference between the 1st and 2nd book for black hair is huge!!

so are you girls saying i need to give gel another try?? what kind? i hate crunchiness!!!

also, are you using gel daily or just after a cowash? how does the gel respond when you just use water to refresh? does it get cruddy? i bought some gel at lunch. will try again soon.
    The watering for me is: not going beyond 3rd day hair ... I'll usually cowash and condition evening 3.

Also using lots of water spray to refresh. If I have time , just rinsing and conditioning whenever I can. Eco is cheap & I don't think it's possible to overcondition my hair in this nor cal climate.

In my years before I usually went to a default weekly wash day sort of thing after my hair got past the twa. I had a lot of dryness& some breakage issues from trying to get on with light spritzes, cremes. Also making lots of little twists for twist outs and the exposed scalp caused problems for me too.

It's funny that I had 3 or 4 different people tell me to try this kind of CGesque schedule( or something similar) but I ignored them because they had larger curls, coils or waves. I really wish I'd listened back then.

But yah, so far~ so good... happy scalp, happy(albeit crunchy on the first evening) hair.

- Jean Cocteau

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    so are you girls saying i need to give gel another try?? what kind? i hate crunchiness!!!

A nice creamy gel to try is Darcy's Bontanicals Cream Gel.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

thanks. is this the one you're referring to? or is it this one?

this is one i can get on the ground. anybody know how it would work?
  • LanishaLanisha Posts: 467Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    P.P. wrote: »
    The watering for me is: not going beyond 3rd day hair ... I'll usually cowash and condition evening 3.

Also using lots of water spray to refresh. If I have time , just rinsing and conditioning whenever I can. Eco is cheap & I don't think it's possible to overcondition my hair in this nor cal climate.

In my years before I usually went to a default weekly wash day sort of thing after my hair got past the twa. I had a lot of dryness& some breakage issues from trying to get on with light spritzes, cremes. Also making lots of little twists for twist outs and the exposed scalp caused problems for me too.

It's funny that I had 3 or 4 different people tell me to try this kind of CGesque schedule( or something similar) but I ignored them because they had larger curls, coils or waves. I really wish I'd listened back then.

But yah, so far~ so good... happy scalp, happy(albeit crunchy on the first evening) hair.

OT: OMG Presto did you say norcal?! Because i just moved here last August and I'm NOT in love. Perhaps you might give me some suggestions on places to go and things to do (and where to get hair supplies other than oakland lol) OMG take me under your wiiiiiiiing! Haha okay back on topic.

To luvmylocs question about gel, rewetting it always makes my hair softer, not crunchier. It reactivates the gel and so my hair maybe feels a bit slick? Or sticky? Like I just put it on. Rewetting it nice if you want to resmooth any parts that may have gotten frizzy. I only apply gel on my wash day. After that I don't reapply. I just spritz it with a bottle filled with water.

• afrosheenqueenafrosheenqueen Posts: 5,400Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

thanks. is this the one you're referring to? or is it this one?

this is one i can get on the ground. anybody know how it would work?

It's the Curling cream gel (your 2nd link). I think the DE gel you posted looks good too.
    4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
    great! i ordered the darcy's curly cream gel. i noticed one of the banners on here featured the de creme gel but i called the place in town and they are out until "maybe" next fri.

so in the meantime i'm going to use the Proclaim Curl and Wave Conditioning Activator Gel i bought at lunch and try to start the new process.

thanks a bunch ladies!!!!!
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    So I downloaded the new book last night. First I also want to applaud Massey for editing that crazy chapter of African American hair where it was saying that a texturizer was an option for curly girls WITHOUT stating the risks!!! I tried the slightly modified method from her first edition. I don't remember her saying anything about the conditioner overload for styling in the first book. Correct me if I am wrong. Anywayz, so I used the old formula Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner and since the Ecostyler Gel was not mixing well with the conditioner in my hand I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic as my gel. My hair turned out great! There was a tad bit of crunch in certain spots but I scrunched it out. Also I feel like with this edition she mentions cleansers more where in the first version she pushed mainly co-washing...???
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    So I downloaded the new book last night. First I also want to applaud Massey for editing that crazy chapter of African American hair where it was saying that a texturizer was an option for curly girls WITHOUT stating the risks!!! I tried the slightly modified method from her first edition. I don't remember her saying anything about the conditioner overload for styling in the first book. Correct me if I am wrong. Anywayz, so I used the old formula Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner and since the Ecostyler Gel was not mixing well with the conditioner in my hand I used Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic as my gel. My hair turned out great! There was a tad bit of crunch in certain spots but I scrunched it out. Also I feel like with this edition she mentions cleansers more where in the first version she pushed mainly co-washing...???

so are you mixing up the conditioner and gel then applying or layering? i know i need to re-read that section....going to do that now. what i have is curl and wave activator gel. i hope it works okay.
    I mixed the two products on my hand originally to make sure they mixed well together. When I was in the shower I put the conditioner in my head first then applied the jelly

The conditioner also was not a leave-in. If that helps too

I mixed the two products on my hand originally to make sure they mixed well together. When I was in the shower I put the conditioner in my head first then applied the jelly

thanks! what's the criteria for knowing if something mixes well? does it become just one consistency? sorry these questions seem so basic. i've been natural for years and still trying to figure it out!
    When I mixed the eco and TW conditioner in it turned a white color and did not disappear. This can sometimes indicate what will happen to your hair. When I mixed UFD and the conditioner it turned slightly white but mixed well. When I put it in my hair it disappeared.
    First pic thatat's white and gunky is TW with Eco then next is UFD and TW. Also added some pics of my hair after it finished drying. Shrinkage is still a b-tch!!
    When I mixed the eco and TW conditioner in it turned a white color and did not disappear. This can sometimes indicate what will happen to your hair. When I mixed UFD and the conditioner it turned slightly white but mixed well. When I put it in my hair it disappeared.
    First pic thatat's white and gunky is TW with Eco then next is UFD and TW. Also added some pics of my hair after it finished drying. Shrinkage is still a b-tch!!

thank you SO much! that makes sense and your hair looks good when dry! i'd be elated if i could get similar results.
    okay so tried the routine this morning....

i used one conditioner (generic matrix biolage) that i actually had on dry hair while i did a little exercise this morning. i got in the shower, let it get wet and took my shower. when it was time to get out i actually rinsed it all out and applied the oyin honey dew (which i tested and it played well with the proclaim gel i bought fri). anyway i applied the oyin liberally, i got out of the shower and applied the gel. i liked the look of the curl formation but obviously it was pretty wet and whitish. i finished getting ready without touching my hair. the problem is...by the time i got to church, after riding with the air on high and my sunroof open, my hair was still wet, not just damp, wet and sort of whitish. i wasn't going on church with wet, whitish hair.

more questions...for those following this routine, how long does it take for your hair to dry? what can speed up the process? does this change after my hair gets more used to the routine?
    My hair takes a while to dry. It was not done drying until 6ish but it was not dripping wet. Just slightly damp. My hair takes awhile to dry. It really is just the inner parts of my hair. My hair had a few spots that were kind of white BUT after 20 minutes it had sunk in. Try a different gel or conditioner.
    today my hair wasn't as damp when i applied my leave in. i used afro detangler. my hair dried quicker but i'm still not seeing the curl pop all over, i see it in some spots but not others. it's frizzy in some parts still. perhaps my hair was really dry. i'm going to stick with it and try to get the technique down. i'm thinking the oyin honey dew and the afro detangler are good creamy leave ins. i think the proclaim activator gel is okay so far, not crunchy at all. can't wait to get my darcy's botanicals curling cream gel.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The gel cast thing rocks my world because i'm terrified of tangles. If not for the gel step I'd probably have to braid or twist it for control , esp @ night. If you have less shrinkage , then doing it more like Conditioner Only/Tightly Curly method should be totally cool.

+ 1 with the gel cast. It's what gives me 2nd day hair. I have major shrinkage and don't comb or brush my hair when wet, so the TC method doesn't work for me. Here's my interpretation of CG with a needed moisture boost:

Co-wash or no-sulfate poo

- Moisturizing conditioner to detangle (or DT)

- Scrunch/smooth in castor oil, Qhemet OHHB or Qhemet BRBC or shea butter on the ends over the conditioner.

Cool water rinse from the scalp, leaving conditioner in. Add in more as needed after rinsing.

Use a moisturizing, coil defining styler (this can be conditioner or a cream) This is where my clumping happens. Often I will mix 1 part Qhemet OHHB with 2 parts conditioner to get moisture and clumping (usually Abba Pure Gentle)

- Scrunch out drippies gently with a t-shirt or flour sack towel

- Soft moisturizing gel to seal the texture and moisture; I add water to the gel in my hand as necessary before smoothing and raking into hair. A gel that works well for me is Giovanni LA Naturals.

Air dry or diffuse or both. The gel cast should not feel hard when hair is dry, but your hair should have definition.

If If done at night before bed I don't scrunch out the crunch, just gently scrunchi back the hair and protect the front with a silk scarf.

Lorraine Massey said she sleeps with the gel cast and sleeps carefully, so doesn't protect her hair. I rub against the pillow so I have to protect my hairline.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    + 1 with the gel cast. It's what gives me 2nd day hair. I have major shrinkage and don't comb or brush my hair when wet, so the TC method doesn't work for me. Here's my interpretation of CG with a needed moisture boost:

Co-wash or no-sulfate poo

- Moisturizing conditioner to detangle (or DT)

- Scrunch/smooth in castor oil, Qhemet OHHB or Qhemet BRBC or shea butter on the ends over the conditioner.

Cool water rinse from the scalp, leaving conditioner in. Add in more as needed after rinsing.

Use a moisturizing, coil defining styler (this can be conditioner or a cream) This is where my clumping happens. Often I will mix 1 part Qhemet OHHB with 2 parts conditioner to get moisture and clumping (usually Abba Pure Gentle)

- Scrunch out drippies gently with a t-shirt or flour sack towel

- Soft moisturizing gel to seal the texture and moisture; I add water to the gel in my hand as necessary before smoothing and raking into hair. A gel that works well for me is Giovanni LA Naturals.

Air dry or diffuse or both. The gel cast should not feel hard when hair is dry, but your hair should have definition.

If If done at night before bed I don't scrunch out the crunch, just gently scrunchi back the hair and protect the front with a silk scarf.

Lorraine Massey said she sleeps with the gel cast and sleeps carefully, so doesn't protect her hair. I rub against the pillow so I have to protect my hairline.

sbb as always thanks for your hair wisdom!!!!

ETA: about how long does it take you from start to finish? i think the book claims 10-15 mins for our general hair type.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    15-20 minutes is about right, excluding drying time.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    anybody try this routine at night so they don't have to do it in the morning before work? i'm thinking of doing it tonight to allow full drying and get the gel cast thing and all that. thoughts??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file