LI question

ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
Do all you wavies use a LI? Do any of you have better results with none?

Every time I say I am going to try no LI I throw some on anyway. I have tried using little, medium, and alot but am thinking I may not need any since my hair is pretty normal with low-elasticity.

Any suggestions??
Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
Giovanni weightless leave-in
My hair hates Shea Moisture products 
Plopping makes my curls weird ;) 
I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density

Comments

• swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I don't. I have tried using my co-wash, my RO.. but all the cream based condish's seem to react with my gel or mousse and they don't hold as well. Then my hair gets too soft (not really moisturized.. just soft) and falls flat.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I NEED leave in! I have learned that my hair just needs a lot of moisture, and I rarely give it as much as it wants. I barely rinse out any condish in the shower (and I use at least a huge palmful), and I use that as my LI. My hair is a lot softer and not so poofy and bound for the "east-west" effect. ;)
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Wavy BrunetteWavy Brunette Registered Users Posts: 111
    I always need a leave in! Mine is med/fine w/ low elasticity and my curl genie said a regular leave in is not enough for low elasticity because it is dry and brittle and to leave some of your regular conditioner. Mine really does dry out easy so going without is not an option for me unfortunately. I have tried without and it is dry dry dry.
    2b , waves and some spirals
    Med/Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Low Elasticity

Sulfate/Silicone Free Since Jan 2011 :)

Low Poo- CJ Curl Assurance, SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    RO - Y2C, CJ Beauticurls, GVPCB, SM Restorative Conditioner,
    Stylers- Homemade FSG, KCC, BRHG
    HG Techniques- Spritz and Condish, Icequeen method, plopping
  • ththdththd Registered Users Posts: 306 Curl Novice
    I get so confused on what to do. I'm gonna have to just try it without. My curl genie said if I use a LI it should have very light emollients in it because heavy emollients and LI's can weigh wavy hair down. My hair does get dry easily but I've noticed it's much better since I cut out products with protein in them. My hair never used to get weighed down easily (pre-CG) but now it seems to. It could be my gel also. I will be switching as soon as my HETT is gone. I am hoping to try FSG. I know HETT is lightweight but it doesn't seem to be working for me anymore.
    Tresemme Botanical shampoo, Cantu No Poo, sometimes Suave Lavender or coconut cowash  
    Tresemme Flawless curls gel, Herbal Essence Totally Twisted gel, Ecostyler gel (pink one)
    I still use Tresemme Fine Mist hairspray for the side swept bangs...I can't live without it!
    Curl Genie: Medium-fine texture, normal to high porosity, low elasticity, medium density
  • geckogecko Registered Users Posts: 313
    Am curious about what exactly "light emollients" means, which LI/CO qualify, and what works for you. Please share the joy!

In normal and low dew points, I was having best results with plenty of LI. If I did not use LI then, I had a streak of dry looking hair where the shower rinse water ran down the back of my head, even if I was not thoroughly rinsing out my RO. Now, 4 peas, less, or none of my latest fav LI CJCASC is working better. More = frizz. Kinda leery of getting dry streaks, but have not since super humid.
    m-c iii-ii | loose spirals with ringlets
    I figured "light emollients" meant deep moisturizing agents like oil and aloe. I may be wrong. They suggested Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist, CJ Beauticurls Daily Hair Conditioner, SN Cherry Blossom, and CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner. They said to stay away from heavy emollients in shampoos, conditioners, and LI's. I'm not sure of all ingredient names and meanings though.

I'm thinking now that humidity is way up here I should try no LI. I don't use anything with humectants right now either. (I don't think there is any in my products) I haven't had much luck with them yet.
  • hippiechic81hippiechic81 Registered Users Posts: 1,239
    I personally do not use LI's because I feel like they would weigh my hair down. Way before going CG I would use one on occasion but I never noticed much of a difference.
    2a, fine-med. text, normal porosity (I think)

[FONT=Going back and forth between Herbal Essence Don't Fade On Me shampoo and condish and L'oreal Sulfate Free shampoo

Stylers-
    - Not Your Mother's Curl Cream, La Bella Sports Gel, Aussie Sprunch Spray

[/COLOR][/FONT] My waves are finally getting stronger thanks to weekly PTs and longer hair in general. Still trying to grow it out though!:headbang:

mod-CG since December '10

I have Celiac's Disease so no gluten please!

My hair is basically my hobby!!

http://balancedbeauty.blogspot.com/
  • swtndspcyswtndspcy Registered Users Posts: 692
    I don't know if this would qualify as a LI.. but I do use a TINY amount of coconut oil on soaking wet hair before getting out of the shower. I try to let it sit for 5 minutes before scrunching any water out.
    ththd wrote: »
    I figured "light emollients" meant deep moisturizing agents like oil and aloe. I may be wrong. They suggested Suave Naturals Waterfall Mist, CJ Beauticurls Daily Hair Conditioner, SN Cherry Blossom, and CJ Beauticurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner. They said to stay away from heavy emollients in shampoos, conditioners, and LI's. I'm not sure of all ingredient names and meanings though.

I'm thinking now that humidity is way up here I should try no LI. I don't use anything with humectants right now either. (I don't think there is any in my products) I haven't had much luck with them yet.

Mine also suggested those as rinse outs. I've been alternating SN Cherry Blossom and Waterfall Mist as a rinse out and scrunching in a pea size of whichever I used after my final rinse also and it is working out well although I was leery of it weighing down my hair at first. I have also been using GTTT as a low poo (recommended too) a couple of times a week with a little bit of conditioner added first b/c I'm afraid of it drying my hair out, and my VO5 Tea Therapy as a co-wash the rest of the week. I am surprised that Suave Conditioner works well for a rinse out for me but no problems so far :)

Mine also suggested those as rinse outs. I've been alternating SN Cherry Blossom and Waterfall Mist as a rinse out and scrunching in a pea size of whichever I used after my final rinse also and it is working out well although I was leery of it weighing down my hair at first. I have also been using GTTT as a low poo (recommended too) a couple of times a week with a little bit of conditioner added first b/c I'm afraid of it drying my hair out, and my VO5 Tea Therapy as a co-wash the rest of the week. I am surprised that Suave Conditioner works well for a rinse out for me but no problems so far :)

You ladies that use Suave conditioners as a RO absolutely AMAZE me!! I tried doing that with similar conditioners (VO5 and White Rain), and let's just say it didn't go so well. ;) I had to use at least two overflowing handfuls of each just to get a comb through my hair (and it didn't give me good slip even then), and I used at least two nickel-sized amounts for LI. I have never used so much condish in my life! The bottle was a quarter gone after two washes. :sad5:
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.

You ladies that use Suave conditioners as a RO absolutely AMAZE me!! I tried doing that with similar conditioners (VO5 and White Rain), and let's just say it didn't go so well. ;) I had to use at least two overflowing handfuls of each just to get a comb through my hair (and it didn't give me good slip even then), and I used at least two nickel-sized amounts for LI. I have never used so much condish in my life! The bottle was a quarter gone after two washes. :sad5:

It's funny, I never thought I could get away with Suave either until I tried it as recommended on my curl genie. I thought I was highly porous and would often use heavier conditioners, but my hair is actually looking/feeling better now after conditioning with them and using them as LI also :) The dryness apparently comes from the low elasticity but the suave is working much better than GVPCB which I was using previously and AOHR on occasion.

It's funny, I never thought I could get away with Suave either until I tried it as recommended on my curl genie. I thought I was highly porous and would often use heavier conditioners, but my hair is actually looking/feeling better now after conditioning with them and using them as LI also :) The dryness apparently comes from the low elasticity but the suave is working much better than GVPCB which I was using previously and AOHR on occasion.

WOW! Good for you! And it's so cheap, so you're saving lots of money there! It's a win-win! I could never do that -- my hair needs all the moisture and hydration it can get (and it comes mostly from the conditioners I feed it -- I don't have time to do DT's that often! ;)) I guess having fine hair really is so much different from having coarse hair. :tongue5:

Favorite...
    UPDATE!!!! OK, so I cowashed with SN waterfall mist, used it as RO, did not use any LI. I scrunched out water with t-shirt, scrunched in HETT, plopped for 15 mins., diffused (lazy style...no pixie) and scrunched in some more HETT and finished diffusing.....it dried sooooooo much faster and I had better curls! I did have some stringy hairs which I attribute from the HETT that I'm trying to finish up but over all much better. I had some pretty good root curl too. Of course, my routines only last for about a month before I have to switch it up again. Oh the life of a wavy/curly!

BTW, I never ever would have thought I could use SN as a RO because there isn't much slip at all but this one seems to be working. I do wet my hair a little after applying without rinsing it all out and that helps the comb go through. I use about a half dollar size on top to cowash and then add about double that to length for rinse out. I don't rinse the cowash out before RO since I am using the same product to do both. Like I said though, it won't last long!
  • SbudskySbudsky Registered Users Posts: 261 Curl Neophyte
    I have very fine hair and never used to use a leave-in because I thought it would weigh my hair down, but somehow got myself in the habit of it lately because it seemed like something I should be doing. When I went to get a curly cut last week, I was looking in the bright mirror at the salon and realized that my hair looked dirty and limp. The stylist (Jeffrey at Self in Brooklyn--who was great, btw) told me that he thinks LI are totally unnecessary and just add extra weight. His explanation was that your hair soaks up all the moisture it needs in 5 minutes, and any more than that is excess and should be rinsed off. Now that I'm leaving it out again, my hair is so much better.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • plunkybugplunkybug Registered Users Posts: 2,526
    Interesting stuff...I've been toying with trying Live Clean's Argan Oil Leave In Spray. I think it is fairly new. It looks very watery in the canister, so I don't think it would be too heavy.

I usually have a curl cream that acts like a bit of leave in, and sometimes when I use certain products I use a leave in as it helps me from drying out too much. Sometimes I use a little SS RPT as a leave in/styler.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• allie95allie95 Registered Users Posts: 74
    I NEED leave in! I have learned that my hair just needs a lot of moisture, and I rarely give it as much as it wants. I barely rinse out any condish in the shower (and I use at least a huge palmful), and I use that as my LI. My hair is a lot softer and not so poofy and bound for the "east-west" effect. :wink:

This is definitely me. I always have bad hair days when I try to go against the original CG instructions to just briefly rinse conditioner. Gotta have that squish sound!

This is why I'm so mad at myself for wasting money on the Curl Junkie leave-ins (Beauticurls AND Smoothing Lotion :sad2:). I've had yucky hair for months trying to make these work for me. I just don't think they're designed to be used that way (for hair that needs the squish). I am still hoping I'll find some use for them but I doubt it.
    2c who can't seem to find enough moisture! Trying to figure this out once and for all 7 years after going CG!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file