Budget-friendly Drugstore Products

ti62421ti62421 Posts: 3Registered Users
I'm looking to change product. Currently I'm using the Deva line and it works great for me, aside from the whole price issue. So, I would love advice on products everyone has tried and loved. Specifically, I'd love a

1. great low-sulfate shampoo (to use less than once a week)

2. super moisturizing conditioner that really makes detangling with my fingers every morning in the shower a breeze

3. a gel that literally disappears into my wet hair but also helps to boost and define my curls (deva's angell worked great for me but I just can't afford it)

Items I've tried:

* L'Oreal's Light headed "Melting Gel" --this did NOT work well for me at all, I was very disappointed, it actually jacked up my curl pattern for a few days even after thorough washing!

* Herbal Essence Totally Twisted Hair Gel -- I was surprised by the level of success I've had with this gel because normally I hate their products! I do wish it helped my curls "come together" and my hair does flatten more on top of my head than it ever did with Deva's gel

Comments

• slivolaslivola Posts: 372Registered Users
    Have you tried the new garnier line? I've seen a lot of posts about it here recently. I bet they might have something you'd like. Hopefully you can find info searching under product reviews, product info in curl talk or general search on this site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a (
    with 3b)
    Fine texture/Normal porosity/Medium density
    Low Poo
    (Aveda's damage remedy); Styling: Aveda's: Color Conserve Daily leave in+ Be Curly Style Prep+ Phomollient (mixed w/ Defining Whip)
    Finishing: Aveda's Texturizing Creme or Defining Whip; Eufora Pure Polish Drops
    Color
    Maintenance:
    Aveda's Madder Root condish+Clove condish
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Sulfate-free shampoo- try Giovanni TTTT, its available at Target and I *think* Walgreens. Its under $10, I think it got mine for $5.

Conditioner- I really like Tresemme Naturals; its thick and moisturizing. I use Garnier's Pure Clean condish right now but its SO thick that I have a hard time getting it through my hair and detangling with it. If you want something thick, that might work for you, I just don't love it. Both conditioners are under $10, probably under $5 if I remember correctly.

As far as gel, currently I use Herbal Essence Set Me Up, but I find it had too much hold. I really liked the Totally Twisted gel, so I recommend it. I'm getting Biotera gel next, which is under $10 at Sally Beauty Supply.
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • waviewavie Posts: 237Registered Users
    For conditioner - GVP conditioning balm and Trade Joe's Nourish Spa are both very moisturizing. TJNS has great slip for detangling and is like...3 bucks a bottle. :)
    Hair type: 2C-3A, very dry, extremely low porosity, med elasticity, insanely thick kinky-wavy.
    HGs: Trader Joe's Nourish spa conditioner, Epsom salt rinse, Joico K-pak conditioner
  • whatuaskwhatuask Posts: 74Registered Users
    i just bought the TTTT shampoo & conditioner & used it once. i don't have anything to say yet, sorry!

i've really liked Nature's Gate Aloe Vera. Not too thick or thin, nice mild smell.

my hair doesn't really need detangling, so i can't say anything about that. another one that's nice & thick (which makes me FEEL like it's super moisture) is TIGI's Oatmeal & honey. & smells like cinnabons.

good luck! i'm less than 1 month CG myself & trying anything i can get my hands on!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kristin
    -Mostly 3A, though wavy if not enough moisture (like when I lived in CO.).
    -High dew point gives large ringlets, though smaller & tighter coils at neck.
    -Med. texture, high density, normally porous?
    -sulfate free, silicone free baby!
    -searching for good stylers (but can't purchase living in China! must wait till summers to buy in US)
  • RideTheLightningRideTheLightning Posts: 96Registered Users
    Conditioner: Look through Dove products! Their Intense Damage Therapy conditioner is so amazing! I bought it on a whim after I had put a few dreadlocks in my hair (i'd worked on them for about a month) and I let the conditioner soak into them during each shower, and within a week my dreaded hair turned back to normal! It is just as nourishing to my often heat styled hair!

Products: Garnier Fructis!! You have to find the right one for your specific curls, but I swear by Garnier Fructis and have for 6 years. I live in Florida and have to deal with some awful humidity, and their products always hold up!

I'm a girl who, for the longest time, the closest I got to manageable curls was through my hairdresser mother's expensive salon products, so once she couldn't get discounts on salon products (when I was very very little) the search began for drug store products, and it's a tough battle, but I hope these help!
  • CAT301CAT301 Posts: 40Registered Users
    Which Garnier Products do you like? I'm in SW FL.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using CurlTalk App
  • moelarrymoelarry Posts: 20Registered Users
    I just started using LA Looks Sports Gel. Although I was skeptical, there are many recommendations on the boards for it and it's so cheap I just had to try it! To my surprise, I think it's an HG for me. I had previously tried HETT, HESMU and home-made flax seed gel, with pretty good results, but the LALSG is the best so far at providing definition but not being excessively crunchy and easier to SOTC than the HH gels. I seem to have less frizz and better multi-day hair. I use it over AOHR as a leave-in, which is fairly heavy, but it works for me since I'm not looking to add volume and I have yet to find anything that weighs down my hair. The first time I tried it I actually went to bed with wet hair expecting to wake up to something scary, but in the morning my hair only needed some water scrunched in to look OK.
    3a/3b growing out, CG 01/2011, medium texture, normal porosity/elasticity (LCLF)

Cowash-vo5/Sauve, RO-GVP Condish Balm/ION Effective Care, LI- AOHR/GVP condish balm w/drop of honey, styler-AG:Recoil, Gel-LALSG, BRHG
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Posts: 109Registered Users
    A no sulfate shampoo-Queen Helene Mint Julep very very watered down.

Conditioner with great slip-Tresseme Naturals

Gel-Suave Captivating Curls
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • Lotsa loopsLotsa loops Posts: 130Registered Users
    1. Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo (the Big Body is good too, but the Miss Treated has cones)
    2. Burt's Bees Conditioner (I use the More Moisture, but any type is good)
    3. Well, the 1. and 2. and I suggested I both use, but the gel I use (Kiss My Face Upper Management) is great, but I don't think quite what you're looking for, so I would recommend Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee.
    Hair Type: I was thinking thick, fine 3A, but honestly I have no clue! I do know I have a super flat top, and frizz on the sides.
    No - Poo Shampoo: Kiss My Face Whenever Shampoo
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees More Moisture Condish
    Products: Kiss My Face Upper Management Gel, AG Recoil Curl Activator
  • foreverangel9876foreverangel9876 Posts: 43Registered Users
    I'd agree with the HE totally twisted gel.
    Routine: Wash everyday with Pantene Pro V Shampoo and Condtioner for color treated hair, Plop Upside Down for around ten minutes Take Down Then Scrunch in Curl Junkie Curl Queen Styling Gel and Redken Fresh Curls Curl Refiner. Then Diffuse upside down until almost dry.

event.png
  • RideTheLightningRideTheLightning Posts: 96Registered Users
    @CAT301, sorry it took me so long to reply! I use the sleek and shine smoothing milk and just a tiny bit of the surf hair product on the surface.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file