using oils for a "frizz serum"? Thoughts or suggestions?

Curl-a-sauras RexCurl-a-sauras Rex Registered Users Posts: 56
Hey all,
I'm interested in trying out using an oil as a kind of "frizz serum" after my leave in conditioner. Is anyone doing this or have any ideas on the best oils to try out?
I'm a 2C with medium texture, medium-high porosity, and high density. I don't get weighed down by products, so that's not an issue, but my hair craves lots of moisture.

Thanks! :-)
2b/c w/a few 3a bits in front, medium-fine texture, dense, normal porosity
Things that are currently working (mid dews):
low-poo: Elucence clairfying
Conditioners: AOHR; YtoCu; CJRM; CJSL; Beautiful Curls leave-in
styling: Beautiful Curls curl defining gel; CIAB; CJ SG; Aussie instant freeze

Comments

• CheetaraCheetara Registered Users Posts: 2,182 Curl Neophyte
    You might want to read up on a technique called "sealing". I haven't experimented much with this because my hair gets greasy pretty easily. I think there's a thread called "Sealing for wavies" or something like that.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Registered Users Posts: 1,731 Curl Neophyte
    I know that long haired ladies do this, any oil would probably work, or shea butter.

Take a teeeeeeny tiny bit of oil and rub it in your hands, until the hands are just a little greasy, then rub your hands down the outside of your hair, smoothing it in a downward direction.

It really has to be a very small amount of oil. I've used the Kinky Curly pomade like this and it worked OK, but not well enough that I would buy again. But YMMV, especially if your frizz is because of dryness.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • crazywavescrazywaves Registered Users Posts: 582
    I like argan oil for sealing. It dont weigh me down or leave my hair feeling or looking greasy.
  • jazzy curlzjazzy curlz Registered Users Posts: 47 Curl Neophyte
    Argan oils have cones in them which can be bad if ur doing the CG method. I'm a 3c thick curly and I've used EVOO (as a sealer ) after using Ecostyler olive oil/argan oil gel. It worked great, but it does weigh ur hair down, which I don't mind. No drizzle hear with this method. ;)
  • jazzy curlzjazzy curlz Registered Users Posts: 47 Curl Neophyte
    Oops....no frizzy hair with this method! : p
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Argan oils have cones in them which can be bad if ur doing the CG method.

That's not true. There are certain products that are labeled "Argan Oil," and they do have cones in them, but it's very easy to buy pure Argan Oil. You just have to read the ingredients, just as you should do when buying any product.

Another light oil is Camellia Oil.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyserfcurlyserf Registered Users Posts: 858
    kathymack wrote: »
    Argan oils have cones in them which can be bad if ur doing the CG method.

That's not true. There are certain products that are labeled "Argan Oil," and they do have cones in them, but it's very easy to buy pure Argan Oil. You just have to read the ingredients, just as you should do when buying any product.

Another light oil is Camellia Oil.

Kathy is so right. Yes, pure argan oil is great, but it has to be just that, only argan oil. Many products (Moroccan, Proclaim, etc.) make it sound as if they are only argan oil when they are not.

I also like jojoba oil. It's a little easier to find ( I got mine at Trader Joe's). It's very light and absorbs into my fine hair easily.

Kerri
    2?/3a ??? ; fine; high density; normal porosity and elasticity
    color treated

CURRENTLY USING:
    cleanse:Organix Vanilla Silk, Use Me Cleansing Cream
    rinse out/li:Ion Effective Care, Tresseme Naturals Radiant Volume (both with NPF added)
    stylers:Curl Keeper, UFD Curly Magic, & Alba Botanicals Strong Hold Gel
    PT:CJ Repair Me

mod CG since August 2010
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I've recently fallen in love with Apricot Kernel Oil (I loved it so much, I even started a thread about it! ;)) for sealing. I use it exactly like you describe -- as a sort of "frizz serum." After I apply my LI and scrunch all the water out of my hair, I take a little puddle (just a little, but I use more than a few drops) of my Apricot Oil and slide my hands down my hair with it, sort of scrunching it along the way, concentrating on the underneath sections of my hair, where there is lots of frizz and stray ends. I usually still feel like there is some left on my hands, so I scrunch in the remaining oil. It is actually VERY light and yet very moisturizing. My hair has never really been greasy when I use it. It's left me with MUCH better hair -- it really has made quite a difference. It gives me less frizz and better-looking hair overall. It's now one of my HG's! I have even learned to use a little oil on my scalp the night before I shampoo, and that has helped with some itchiness and flakes (and dryness, since my scalp is starved for moisture!). I hope you find one that works for you!!
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • Curl-a-sauras RexCurl-a-sauras Rex Registered Users Posts: 56
    thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    Looks like argan, jojoba, camellia, and apricot would be good light oils to try out. I imagine jojoba is pretty easy to find. What about the others? Where have you seen them or purchased them?
    I'm trying to get away from buying so much online since the shipping can get overwhelming :-)
    2b/c w/a few 3a bits in front, medium-fine texture, dense, normal porosity
    Things that are currently working (mid dews):
    low-poo: Elucence clairfying
    Conditioners: AOHR; YtoCu; CJRM; CJSL; Beautiful Curls leave-in
    styling: Beautiful Curls curl defining gel; CIAB; CJ SG; Aussie instant freeze
  • curlyloxnvcurlyloxnv Registered Users Posts: 130
    I had good results sealing with coconut oil (is there anything coconut oil can't do?!! I found apricot oil and jojoba oil at health food stores, and apricot oil was really inexpensive. I'm trying it next....
    2c/3a, medium/coarse, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG and covering the grey!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file