Newbie needs help!

Doll0623Doll0623 Posts: 1Registered Users
Hey all! I stumbled upon this fantasic website looking for a way to help my hair. When I was little I had what my mother called bologna curls, and as I got older they straightened out a little (mostly from styling). I have been straigtening my hair for years now (only with a brush and blowdryer, no flat iron or straightening products). I desperatley want to get back to my natural curls, but I'm afraid I've gone too far with all the straigtening....is there still hope for me?? Does anyone have suggestions on where to begin? I'll try anything! I have a 2 year old daughter who interited my curls and I want to be able to show her that they can be beautiful if treated the right way :icon_smile:

Comments

• creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    There is still plenty of hope! Take it from me, I used to flat iron my hair weekly for 7 years and I went from half straight/half curly hair to much healthier curls.

First, welcome to the forums, there is a wealth of knowledge here to answer any question you may have. Second, are you considering following the Curly Girl (CG) Method? It really is a great method that can make curls healthy and happy. Here's a great link to get started: No-Poo (CG) Method

The CG method can take time to get used to. The first few weeks for me weren't great, but once I got through it, my hair looked great.

Also, because you have been straightening your hair, you may have heat damage. This can sometimes be fixed by following the CG method and doing protein treatments and deep treatments. However, in my case some strands of hair just did not want to curl so I had to wait for them to grow out. The new hair growing in is healthy and my heat damage is just a distant memory now.

You can absolutely return to curls after years of straightening--myself and countless others on this forum are proof of that.

Good luck!
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • kelciecurlykelciecurly Posts: 16Registered Users
    I'm in the same boat! I'm new too, though I've been reading this blog for a while--about to embark on the CG method. I've always embraced and loved my curls, but since high school they've been fading are way less defined and quicker to frizz/disappear entirely.

This website helped me figure out all of the CG ish, and I just picked up my new co-wash to begin this week! :)
    The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

2c/3a depending on the day and mood of my hair

Normal-Fine hair texture, low elasticity, ?? posterity

Low-poo: Organix Argan Oil Sulfate Free Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 TT
    Leave in: ^^ or Biolage Conditioning Balm
    ACV rinses, and Biolage Conditioning Balm for DTs!

Product rotation: Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Curl Lotion, HETMS Mousse and Spray Gel
  • BlacksheepBlacksheep Posts: 10Registered Users
    YES YES YES!!!

Ok so I straightened my hair with heat almost all my life...for at least 13 years. I got my curls back using no poo methods. I use hemp conditioner in the shower and spray with a light conditioner (usually Nature's Gate pomegranate diluted in water.) It took a while (almost a year in fact) for my hair to get really curly at all.
  • jillian93jillian93 Posts: 107Registered Users
    Blacksheep wrote: »
    YES YES YES!!!

Ok so I straightened my hair with heat almost all my life...for at least 13 years. I got my curls back using no poo methods. I use hemp conditioner in the shower and spray with a light conditioner (usually Nature's Gate pomegranate diluted in water.) It took a while (almost a year in fact) for my hair to get really curly at all.

Thats inspiring to know that you got your curls back that way!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file