Who does most of the cleaning in your household?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Not just picking up around the home or light dusting, but cleaning the bathroom, scrubbing toilets and tubs and such, doing laundry. Other heavy-duty type stuff.

Please also state who you live with (parents, kids, SO, etc.).
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There's no option in your poll for: Nobody
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I do the bulk of it. But my teenagers do a lot as well. They both have done their own laundry for years. They both clean their own bathrooms. They help with the dishes, dusting, vacuuming, mopping, etc. I am grateful for the help.

I live with hubby and kids.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Me. All of it every single day. And I'm a bit overly obsessive about it.

I live with me, my two little girls, and my SO spends a good deal of time here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do literally ALL of the housework except once a month when the cleaning lady comes by. It's not fair!

I live alone with my 2 cats.
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• WiregirlWiregirl Posts: 1,695Registered Users
    Just me....I'm OCD no one can clean anything like I can! I live with a 16 year old boy!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I said me before I saw what you wrote.
    Neither one of us likes to dust, but I can't stand when it goes too long.
    Hubby does the wet swiffer & toilets, which is not often enough :cwm10:
    Ironically, I was just btchen the other day about how he can let things go & how I was surprised he would do that. I refuse to live in a pigsty...
    ok, so exaggerating a bit ...

He takes care of his shower. I take care of my tub.
    It's us & the rugrat.
    lol @ rcw!
    Oh, hubby also does the yard, which I remind him is not year-round like having to keep the house up every week :rolleyes:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    Since I live alone with a cat, I am the one that does all the housework. Though since I have a fairly active social life, it's hard for me to keep track of it all. I can go a month without cleaning. I need a wife. Seriously.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's the dogs and me, and though I believe they could sweep if they really wanted to, thus far I do it all.

A lot gets missed due to distraction (mine).
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Both of us. I clean up my mess (which is most of the mess in the apt, and he doesn't know where my stuff goes) and he deep cleans (mops, toilets, bathtubs) and mostly cleans the kitchen since he's the one in there all the time and doesn't mind. I do the laundry. We both clean the common area where we spend most of our time. I'm more anal when it comes to cleaning so if we have people over, I go clean the kitchen and bathroom after him, but in general I never clean so it's good that he does it regularly. My bathroom is kinda gross compared to his, lol.
  • missbanjomissbanjo Posts: 3,088Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The SO & I clean pretty equally. The tub/shower & toilet suffer the most because we seem to never get around to it. Thanks to Medussa's thread DsD has been helping out whenever she gets into trouble. All of our windows have been cleaned and she cleaned the toilet last time :laughing6:
    Southern Colorado Curly
    Mix of 2s med-low porosity, med-fine texture, lots of hair
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Sometimes I wish I didn't have to clean so much because I'd have time to do other things, but I just can not let it go.

I clean both bathrooms weekly. And wipe down the sink and toilet and around the toilet every day.

Most chores get done weekly. Vacuuming (with attachments), damp cloth dusting, bathrooms,

Windows and floors get cleaned less often. Laundry and dishes and general picking up are daily. I like to clean as I go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I live with my 6 year old daughter and 3 year old son.

My 6 year old actually helps quite a bit. She straightens up her room and her brother's, and puts away all of their clean laundry. (And then they destroy their rooms the next day.)

I keep saying I'm going to start using a service. But the truth is...cleaning isn't so bad when the surfaces you're cleaning are new and beautiful and ones you picked out yourself.

I might get a service to come in once twice a month for dusting (which I've never had the patience for), cleaning out the refrigerators and cleaning the kids' bathroom, which is always disgusting...

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    The cleaning lady, bless her. I just don't have the time any more.

But, I do the in-between cleaning, which is mostly wiping the counters, giving a swipe to any spills on the kitchen floor, and picking up so that the cleaning lady can actually clean.

It's me and DH and the cat. (She is an excellent cat -- barely sheds at all.)
  • creativelicensecreativelicense Posts: 422Registered Users
    Me, I clean it all. My boyfriend will occasionally do dishes if I ask, but I basically have to nag him. I vacuum at least weekly, do laundry weekly, and full on clean the bathrooms when I get the chance. My boyfriend is messy so despite my efforts our apartment is almost always messy.

Sent from my LG-P509 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Style: 3b/3c
    Texture: Fine
    Porosity: Normal

Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    RO: GVP CB
    Styling: As I Am Leave In, Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets & Confident Coils, DevaCurl Set Me Up, Curl Keeper
    Gel: Ecostyler Olive Oil, BioSilk RHG
  • Like.AustraliaLike.Australia Posts: 2,544Registered Users
    I said me. My husband does the dishes most of the time, but rarely cleans the counters/stove/etc, which, in my opinion, are a lot more work than the dishes. I also do all of the laundry weekly and deep-clean the bathrooms every couple of weeks. We don't vacuum or dust all that regularly, but when we do, it's usually me. As for dusting... do people actually do that?

I live with my husband and 2 dogs.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I live alone so I do it all (the cat doesn't help at all the lazy girl).
    But when I'm living with husbands/boyfriends it is split evenly and not by the usual gender 'rules'. Most of my men have liked running the sweeper and I hate it so they did that while I did the yard work which I enjoy. etc.
    I'm not a clean freak at all but like things neat without clutter or mess, and I could never live with someone who threw things on the floor or was a slob in any way.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    There's no option in your poll for: Nobody

LOL! So true.
    I put SO because my hubby does way more of it than I do. Sometimes it is nobody, but when it gets done it is him that usually does it.

I live with my husband and kid soon to be kids, but they're too young to clean.

Sometimes my mama cleans too - she will come and help out if we are both busy/stressed with other things, but not THAT often.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I used to, but now we have a cleaning service, so they do. I live with my husband and two kids.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do it for the most part, and really it's only because I care more about it and think to do it much more than SO. I have to vacuum at least once a week because we have all hardwood floors and a black lab, which means piles of dog hair everywhere within a couple of days. SO always does the dishes because I cook dinner, but he's not very good at wiping down the counters and stove.

Usually on the weekends, I'll do the bulk of the inside cleaning and ask him to do a couple of things here and there to help me. He does all the mowing of the lawn, though, which this time of year is every other week or so.

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I live with my husband and two dogs.

We both clean, usually on weekends or on Thurs/Friday night to keep our weekends free.

He does the main clearing of clutter around the house (not my strong suit), dishes, and the washing of clothes. I do the bathroom, floors, cooking, and laundry folding. The dogs undo whatever we do. :roll:

No money in the budget to get a cleaning service. I would not want a stranger in my house cleaning up after me.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    Neighbors with a cleaning service. I live w/ Mom because she needs help being taken care of. She has the time, but she's not my maid and I don't want her to feel as if she is!

I don't have the time plus dusting especially triggers my asthma.

It's totally worth it to me to have someone else do it!

Cleaning horse pens, though... Mom mostly does that. I try to clean wuhile she's doing something else and she catches me and manages to do at least half. I'm starting to believe her claims of enjoying it...

ETA: we do our own laundry but will throw in items for each other when doing small loads. I'll probably do all horse laundry when I find a beater washer for the barn.

Sent from my "smart"phone. Please excuse typos!
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
  • Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    I live with my boyfriend. We both do our own laundry. I pick up clutter and wipe random surfaces and the sinks down more often, but he does the dishes (i.e. puts them in the dishwasher, and unloads the dishwasher) more often. He vacuums more often.

We have a cleaning lady come every couple months to do the real deep-down stuff. Usually in between we'll agree that the place is pretty gross and divide up some rooms if we're planning on having friends over.

We're both way too busy to worry about doing a lot of cleaning ourselves. I consider a cleaning lady a pretty worthy investment; I work hard for my money, and want to spend my free time enjoying myself, so I pay the cleaning lady.
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Posts: 10,573Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Me, and only me. :( I have to nag hubby just to put out the trash and recycle the night before it's picked up (I usually just do it myself during the week as needed). I vacuum, dust, straighten up, mop, scrub toilets, do laundry, etc. My son is now a teen and is going to start learning to do things as well. He shows an interest in cooking, he can take over if he wants! :D Son now mows the lawn, sometimes my dad does (he lives with us) if he gets the itch, but it's now son's chore.

I do have the men trained to rinse and put their dishes in the dishwasher! (most of the time they do! LOL)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    I do mostly everything except for taking out the garbage. Every once in a while, he'll get the urge to do laundry but it's not frequent. Husband and 2 toddlers.

It sucks and I miss having a maid.
    hello.world.
  • P.P.P.P. Posts: 1,617Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Husband... thank G-d!

Sent from my iPhone ~ YippieKiYay, MddrFqr!
    True realism consists in revealing the surprising things
    which habit keeps covered and prevents us from seeing.
    - Jean Cocteau

scaled.php?server=707&filename=superwhymainimage.jpg&res=landing <---Fotki photo albums
  • SCGSCG Posts: 5,416Registered Users
    My mom does most of the "big" cleaning stuff, but my siblings and I pitch in a lot, too... I clean the wood floors (on my hands and knees, might I add) and clean up after my dad (I swear, he leaves destruction and messes behind everywhere he goes). My little brother cleans our bathroom. My dad takes care of the rest of the bathrooms. When she's home, my sister pretty much just fills in the gaps. Every day, my brother and I rotate vacuuming and unloading the dishwasher.

We all do our own laundry, but my mom and I are usually the ones who fold shared loads, like towels and sheets, because the "boys" do a terrible job.

If a dish is too big to fit in the dishwasher, whoever used it is the one who has to wash it.

I live with my parents, younger brother, and soon my sister, as she'll be graduating from college in a few weeks.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I have a weekly cleaning service.

The daily cleaning and laundry is done by MIL and I (whoever gets around to it first).

Household includes me, DH, MIL and 2 small kids.
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My cleaning lady has had my back for the last years. I had to break down and pay for one bc I have 0 time to clean.
    When I got her, I hadn't dusted or vaccumed in months. I probably got around to cleaning the bathrooms once in a while. It was so bad that even SHE said something.
    I do all the in between work and I clean the kitchen after I use it. I haven't touched a vaccum in a loooong time.

I live with my 9 year old boy and our cat. My SO stays here on the weekends with his 9 year old daughter and their dog. I end up doing all their laundry unless I ask.
    The yard my SO helps me or helps me pay for someone to come do it.
  • wanderlustwanderlust Posts: 650Registered Users
    We both clean. We keep track of the chores in a calendar, and take turns doing all of them.

We don't clean a ton, and most things get done monthly, such as vacuuming, bathroom cleaning, and dusting, and a few more. Exceptions include cooking and doing the dishes (the person that cooks doesn't do the dishes and vice versa), and laundry which is done weekly by both of us, and probably a few more things I have forgotten.

He is probably doing a little more than me right now because he has been mowing the lawn, and I have not yet, but I generally mow too.

I am pretty lazy and hate cleaning, but I like our system.
    Formerly ladyjag123
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I said my SO. It's the two of us and pets. We are not what you would call focused on cleaning.

He does the bulk of it. I do clean, but as far as "most," it's really him. I'm significantly less motivated by filth.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file